Stay at Home Moms
Options

Toddler speech

My 23 month old daughter has recently had a vocabulary explosion. She has started almost stuttering when she is trying to say some sentences, for example when she wants to say, "I love you Mommy!" It comes out like, "I love you I love you love you Mommy!" However she says I love you Daddy without repeating anything. I am thinking she is trying to either talk too fast or she is having some trouble with the blending of the sounds. Has anyone had experience with this? It just started yesterday so I am not worried and I truly think it is her brain working faster than her lips. If it is still happening at her 2 year we'll visit I will bring it up.

Re: Toddler speech

• Options
    This happened with my oldest for about six months. It's only concerning if its not outgrown and totally common with children who have a language explosion,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks KC!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm an SLP. This is 100% normal. My advice is to speak slowly to her, when she is speaking to you get down on her level and focus totally on her. Tell her you are listening and to slow down. It will pass.
    Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• Options
    Ballet513 said:
    I'm an SLP. This is 100% normal. My advice is to speak slowly to her, when she is speaking to you get down on her level and focus totally on her. Tell her you are listening and to slow down. It will pass.

Thank you so much! Those are great suggestions. I think I need to slow down also when I speak in general so she sees me modeling it.
  • Options
    hayleydeeehayleydeee member
    edited March 2014
    DD started stuttering about a year ago (when she was 4). We just started her with a speech therapist, and my sister is also a speech therapist. They both told me that before about age 3-3.5 it is completely normal and nothing tho worry about. Just keep an eye on it, but chances are she's fine.
    The advice at this stage is to just ignore it and give her plenty of time to talk with your undivided attention. You can also practice "turtle" speech with her, where you take turns saying things very sloooowly. 
    If it keeps going for the next couple of years, then the red flags to look out for are if she shows anxiety and awareness of it, or gives up on the word she's trying to say and replaces it with something else. 
    ETA they both agreed that we shouldn't bring it to her attention, because that could create more anxiety, and make it even worse. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"