D.C. Area Babies
Options

Picking a Hospital (Previously at VHC)

I have already delivered twice at VHC and the experiences couldn't have been more polar opposites (2012-exceptional in every way to the point that I would have happily put everyone on the Christmas list then beyond aweful in 2013).  Does anyone have any recent experience with them?  Does anyone have any definitely do/do not delivery advice in the DC/Maryland area?  Online reviews most typically give way to non maternity visits (not so helpful).

Re: Picking a Hospital (Previously at VHC)

• Options
    i'm new to this whole thing myself, but my friend Raves (really just raves and raves) about her experience at the Birth Center.  I realize you are asking about a hospital, but just in case you want to look into it.
  • Options
    Depends what you want. If you want a natural, or fullest support possible for vaginal birth, then GW is the place to go. The midwives are fantastic but require a commitment to natural birth so if that's not your thing OBs are also great. 

If you need a c-section, VHC is a good place to be - excellent c-section providers and private recovery rooms. 

If you need the highest level NICU, INOVA Fairfax is the place to be, but if that's not what you need, then probably best to stay away - they see emergencies every day, all day. A normal birth is somewhat foreign to them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    XathXath member
    I've delivered twice at VHC, and will be doing so again.  I thought the care we received was top notch both times.  There was one point with our first where one of our night nurses was less than stellar, but we talked to our favorite nurse and asked if we could be on her rotation for the rest of our stay and it was great.  

I can't speak for vaginal delivery experiences; I've had 2 cesareans.  But I thought the care I received was phenomenal both times and my recoveries were physically easy.  The NICU staff are also incredibly caring and supportive.  Since merging with Children's, the NICU at VHC has been upgraded to a level IIIB, and the facilities are very nice.  

I recently had a brief stint in L&D for complications with my current pregnancy, and I have noticed a few changes since my last two were born.  VHC moved towards "baby friendly hospital" certification, which means that most infant care is done in your recovery room, and the nursery is barely utilized unless you specifically request it.  

***loss mentioned***

When my daughter passed away, the hospital staff was incredibly considerate.  They moved us to the oncology ward so that we wouldn't have to stay in L&D around the healthy babies, and made sure that we were as comfortable as we could be.  Dr. Hultzen, our daughter's neonatologist, fought diligently with the state to make sure that our daughter could be transferred to Children's in DC for the best autopsy.  Despite the fact that we had the worst possible outcome, I in no way believe it had anything to do with the standard of care at VHC and felt that the staff there did everything possible to keep our daughter safe.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"