LGBT Parenting

TTC again -- timing question

Hello everyone!

I used to post on here when I was first TTC... In January of 2013 my partner and I had our first son :) My partner is ftm transgender. We used a known donor and did the process on our own. We are TTC again now, using the same donor and same process, but as silly as it is, I forget all the little details I spent forever learning last time. I just don't have the time now to be so anxious and particular about everything! Last time we were able to get the donor sperm twice every cycle, but this time with limited funds we are only doing once a month... my biggest question that I am not so certain on is the timing, since we are only having one chance every month now! I use the ovulation predictor kits... When is the best time to try? The day before the darkest line? Or the day of the darkest line? Or some other time? Any other advice is welcome :) Hope you are all doing wonderfully and see spring in sight! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: TTC again -- timing question

• We also tried at home with frozen sperm. After charting, I learned the best time for us (my wife got pregnant) was between 24-36 hours after the darkest line (if we only had one vial). If we had two vials, we tried at around 22 hours and 32-34 hours after a positive OPK. We also used the cheap wondfo OPKs and tested about 3-5 times a day near ovulation time. With frozen sperm that doesn't live as long, you really want to get it as close to actual ovulation as possible. Although it just occurred to me, we did IUI at home, and ICI puts sperm a little further away, so if we were doing that, I may have done it just an hour or two earlier. If you have the time and energy, I would strongly suggest temperature charting so you see how long the space between positive OPk and ovulation is for you personally. I think it averages around 24-48 hours. Good luck on TTC number 2!!
    My name is A, I am wife to J.  After 7 months of ttc and one MC, we are expecting two baby girls in 2014!

• Thank you guys so much!!! <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Just a quick note, I'd also say that you may want to chart too - to be sure you don't have a temp rise sooner than expected after the darkest OPK.

I sometimes ovulated the same 24hr period of receiving a positive OPK.  For example I'd get a positive OPK at 12pm and my temp would have risen by the next morning.  I've also read to try and line up several fertility signs, so a slightly dark OPK, FCM (fertile cervial mucus) and an open cervix would indicate Peak Fertility.  (Even if its before or after the darkest OPK line).

That said, once you know your cycle anywhere from 12 - 36 hours should be good with ICI.  We also did ICI at home with a KD.  Luckily fresh sperm live longer (up to 5 days, but 48 hours is probably the longest I'd go).  The egg is "inspired" (supposedly there is a chemical change in the eggs "readiness") by the more sperm that are present.  So we tried to time our tries to give the most sperm a chance to meet the egg.

Everything I've written above is just my own research and experience.  I'm not the expert ;-) - but there are some great resources online.

Feel free to post here or PM if you want to talk more.

Good luck TTC #2.
  • I would agree with what she said. I got a positive OPK at about 1pm and had a temp rise the next morning. Some women have a longer surge, and some (like me) much shorter. 

• This is great info! This may seem like a silly question, but does anyone have a reliable brand of thermometer? I tried temping when TTC the first time, but I must have tried 3 different thermometers (not cheap ones, either!) and my temp read fluctuated even during back-to-back trials.
  • I dont have any other information to provide but just want to wish you the best of luck :)

Married in September 2010, started TTC journey November 2012

Me-

7 IUI- 2 CP- 2 BFN

RPL blood work 12/27, showed a balance translocation in chromosome 11;22  

Spouse-

PCOS 4 IUI-4 BFN

New Plan: Reciprocal IVF, me as carrier wife's eggs. Just went through insurance and received partial approval, so my part will go through my IVF benefits and wife's part will be out of pocket. Now just finalizing finance plans to cover the oop costs. Doctors office is in process of moving to a new building so there are no IVF start ups until March/April 2015. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"