International Bumpies

American living in Ireland during pregnancy....help!

I am moving to Ireland for 4 months in just 2 weeks. I will be 10 weeks pregnant (when I leave) and will be there through week 25 or so of pregnancy. I will be back to deliver in America.

I need help in terms of how to find a doctor, how does payment work, where to go, etc.

Unsure where to start on this.

I'll be living in Dublin. I know that my insurance in American does not cover any medical care internationally. So I'll be paying out of pocket.

Thank you thank you!
~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

Re: American living in Ireland during pregnancy....help!

• Healthcare in Ireland is free for residents. What kind of visa will you be on?
  • I suspect that you won't be covered by the public health system, so you'll need to go to a doctor privately. The only private maternity hospital in Ireland closed a few weeks back. There are still private doctors at the public hospitals, you'll just need to pay up front for any appointments and need to make sure that they can see you at the hospital without being booked in to deliver your baby there. Check out the private doctors at Holles Street, the Rotunda or The Coombe hospitals.

I am an American in Dublin as well and go to the private clinic at The Coombe. Some of the doctors there also operate their GYN practices out of the Beacon Private clinic, so you may be able to visit them there if there's any issue at the hospital.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm from Dublin - this will be my first baby so kinda clueless but any questions give me a shout. H x
  • You may also want to consider a midwife rather than a doctor.
  • Hey. You may have come across this already but if not it's definitely worth a look. https://www.bump2babe.ie/ it gives a lot of info on Irish maternity care. If you have specific questions I'm a FTM (18 weeks) in Dublin and I'll answer any I can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"