November 2012 Moms

Diagnosis for my boy

After months of breathing issues blamed on RSV and colds and a VERY frightening middle of the night last night where he had a full on episode, DS was diagnosed with Asthma. Part of me is sad and part of me happy we finally have an answer that is not blamed on his 5 week early arrival into the world. Treatment not much different than what we have been doing (Albuterol nebulizer with oral steroids as needed). I am not thrilled with the idea of steroids, but he needs to breathe! Im one tired Mommy....been up since 2:30 am with him. He just went to sleep and I am right behind him!
IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diagnosis for my boy

• I'm glad that you finally got a diagnosis; hopefully you will both get some relief. And sleep! Major cuddles to both of you.

image   My chart 

• Glad you finally got answers. Asthma is not fun. I live with it. But at least now you know what to do if he's not feeling well. Hopefully things will improve for you guys. How's the pregnancy going??
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hopefully knowing the cause of his struggles now will help you/him to move forward and finally get some sleep.  Poor guy....he's such a trooper!!

• I have asthma, I was diagnosed when I was your LO's age. Nowadays he can get a very low dose of steroids daily and keep the asthma controlled which leads to a way better quality of life than having attacks and needing large doses of bronchodilators and steroids. If this is really what he has I think you will see a great improvement with the right treatment in a short time. GL!
  • I'm so happy to hear you have an answer. I'm so sorry for LO. I had childhood asthma, and it's no walk in the park - but at least you have some prescriptions, so hopefully this will limit trips to the emergency room.

I know this isn't much solace, but many childhood asthmatics experience a relief of symptoms when they hit their teens. This was the certainly the case for me. As it was explained to me, the physical structures that are inflamed are simply larger, so the person may still have bronchospasm, but the effects aren't felt in the same way. When I was a kid if felt like a heavy person was sitting on my chest. When I was a kid, the medications were really limited - so I, generally, had to be really mindful of over-exertion or visiting people with cats etc.. There is such a wide array of meds now, with long, well annotated histories of use. A kid with moderate asthma the limitations are nil.

I'm realizing now that as asthmatics age, symptoms return - but the the symptoms are different. I'm in my late 30s now and my asthma is returning, likely the outcome of immune system changes...and probably the addition of a furball in my residence hasn't helped. The symptoms aren't as severe and I lead a really active life. I've been hopsitalized twice for asthma. Both events happened after I had the flu. So, with a flu shot every year, and emergency inhalers handy and low doses of steroids, envelopes on my mattress and polyfill pillows with allergen-free cases - my adult life is pretty awesome.

I'm sure you are getting a ton of advice - so you probably don't need this info, but I'm going to give you my two cents re: things that help me manage the condition. For me, it's all about reducing baseline inflammation and that means controlling household allergens in the one place I spend most of my time. If I had to name the number one thing that has helped me control my asthma, it has been dust control in my sleeping environment - no carpets, limited drapes, toys and clothes in closed storage,  air cleaner in the room (Winex model at BBB is amazing! Highly recommend. Let me know if you want the model number), envelope on the mattress and pillows, and elimination of down pillows and duvets. Honestly, the envelopes help the most - like night and day.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you and V have been going through this, but I'm so happy you have an answer now and can move from there. Let me know if you ever need to chat childhood asthma. I'm happy to give you my thoughts on what helped me.

• @jg1011 wow after all that .. I know it can be hard to DX in kids this age though.  We are watching sammie for it as well, suspect she might have exercise induced, she tends to cough after running/playing and when sick she is very wheezy. so far we have restrictive airway DX but dr will monitor.  allergy and asthma history with both parents.

@maven212 those are greta suggestions, will be printing this thread out to review. 

Anyone know anything about the correlation between steroids and type I diabetes in kids?  Have been hearing snippits here and there trying to find a good source of knowledge about it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• @maven212 has excellent advice regarding allergens.
  • So glad you guys finally got an answer to what has been going on with V. We're on the lookout for it with M too :/ Hopefully you all can get some rest!
    I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • Thanks all. I'm having a terrible time on BUMP on my IPad. Can't format at all so everything is in one big paragraph. Frustrating! @Chickie79‌ Dr is trying to get that approved. My insurance denied it. Appeal is in process. @maven212‌ Great suggestions. We do have mattresses ad pillows covered. No drapes/curtains. He does have carpet though. That won't get changed till we dormer the top of house. No carpets anywhere else though except his room and ours. We are heading to BBB this weekend to look at a hot/cold humidifier which was recommended. Will look at the one you suggested. @Kmartinrvt13‌ Pregnancy is going well. GD diagnosis early has been the worst and that's not so bad. I feel much better now. First 12 weeks was AWFUL. I didn't have any of that with V so this was a shock! Hoping for an uneventful rest of pregnancy. Okay....parent conferences were tonight. Finally home at 9:45. V woke up when I tried to transfer him to bed and then wind was scaring him so now he's in bed with me and we are going to sleep hopefully! More parent conferences tomorrow.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am glad you have a diagnosis, hopefully now you wont be back and forth as much to the doctor and they can get you guys on a regular treatment plan.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So happy that you finally have an answer. Now, it can be treated correctly which should help everyone.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• so happy you finally have answers! I was born with very bad asthma and that is why i am an only child. My parents were so scared of how bad it was with me that they never did it again. :( However that being said, i outgrew it around age 7. I still use an inhaler as needed, especially during pregnancy, but i dont have many attacks unless im being super active or exercising. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"