Natural Birth

Doula Choice?

Hi All-  I had a very-medicated, uncomfortable, pitocin birth with my son 3 years ago. I was uneducated and unprepared.  I am determined to have a better experience this time.  I decided that taking a Hypnobabies course would be a good fit for and help me let go of the fear from my first birth.  I am also planning to have a doula.  My Hypnobabies instructor gave me a list of 5 area doulas are are supportive and experiences with Hypno-births and use the right language (not fear based).  I contacted them all and none of them are available for my birth! 

I know my Hypnobabies instructor through LLL and she seems very calm and informed.  She did let me know that she is certified through Hypnobabies as a hypno-doula but has not officially done her doula training yet.  She said she has taken some seminars and referred to herself as a "natural birth junkie".  She has 4 children and has had positive experiences with all of them.  Because she is still in training her fee is very affordable.

So I am stuck with 2 choices.  Either use my instructor that has much less practical experience OR choose a doula that might not be as informed/supportive of Hypno-births.  That is pending that I can actually find another doula available...apparently I am late to the game in my area in hiring one (I am due at the end of August)

What would you do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Doula Choice?

• I would go with the hyno-birth instructor. If you feel comfortable with her that is the most important part. This woman is going to see you at your most vulnerable and emotional so you want someone that you are comfortable with. She may not have a ton of expereince but she has the knowledge and the information which will be useful. Every birth is different and there is no predictable pattern for how things will go. Even a doula with experience may encounter things that are new to her. I know that my doula had attended 30+ births and still encountered something new in my birth. I felt the urge to push when I was only 8.5 cm. The nurse had me resist pushing until I had dialated further. I was freaked out but my doula talked me through contractions and helped me breathe will fighting the urge to push. Afterwards I had asked her if that was common as my Bradley classes had not mentioned it. She said she had never had it happen before but she never showed it in my labor and got me through it. IMO having the information and being prepared is the most important thing as labor can be unpredicable.
  • I am doing the hypnobabies home study and there are no hypno doulas (or classes) anywhere near us. When I met with my doula, she was in line with all of the hypnobabies philosophy, so I'm not too worried about it. She will let me do my thing and she'll assist in any way she can. Plus, DH is all over the hypnobabies terms and will keep me focused. I am in a similar situation as you-medicated FTP c/s, followed by a difficult medicated VBAC. I'm determined to make this birth a better experience. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • She sounds very qualified to me, i would go for it. I attended my first birth as a doula having only my own personal birth as experience. Doulaing comes from the heart, not a book or certification.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"