June 2014 Moms

carbo-load or low-carb before 3-hour glucose test?!

FeliciaTwoFeliciaTwo member
edited March 2014 in June 2014 Moms
Hi, everyone.  I failed the 1-hour and am taking the 3-hour test on Thursday.  I want to pass this test!!!  I've been looking online for recommendations for how to pass, and some people say that in the days before, you should carb-load, while others say to go low-carb.  ARGHGHGH!  I want real people who've really failed the 1-hour and passed the 3-hour to tell me: which did you do?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: carbo-load or low-carb before 3-hour glucose test?!

• mrsgerman said:
    I think the best thing to do in this situation is to not try to cheat the system. If your body fails it is not because you are doing something wrong but because your placenta is processing sugars wrong. Trying to cheat the system and pass the test when really you need to fail and focus on particular eating guidelines or medications can put you and your baby at serious risk. Put your baby's health before your pride and let your body do what it needs to do
    Look, I understand this sentiment, but I'm NOT trying to "cheat the system."  I've been told since failing the 1-hour that it could be because I had already exercised before I took that test (exercise temporarily reduces your ability to make insulin).  I'm just looking for real people who really failed the 1-hour and passed the 3-hour.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • carbs convert to sugar. I wouldn't "carb-load". I'd eat normal and try not to over do anything the day before the test. GL
  • carbs convert to sugar. I wouldn't "carb-load". I'd eat normal and try not to over do anything the day before the test. GL
    I agree!  I was shocked to see that some doctors *recommended* carb-loading, as a way of "preparing for the marathon" of the 3-hour test.  Anyway, I'm curious if anyone can let us know what they did . . . .
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I can tell you that my OB/hospital required me to carb load 3 days prior to my GD test.  I should find out the results tomorrow.  I'm not sure why, but they required me to eat 150gms of carbs each day before the test.  I found it odd, but it's what they required.

June 2014 - June Siggy Challenge - Favorite Hottie
    BabyFruit Ticker   image
  • If you really do have GD, you need to know so that you can follow the recommended plan. If you don't, you will pass the test without having to do something crazy to make it so.

Also, FWIW, I haven't even failed a glucose test yet and am already following the diet plan and sticking myself 4x a day because it is what the doctors told me to do. You do what you have to do for your baby's health (not to mention your own) and that is all. 
    Me-27 DH-30
    TTC since 7/2010 with PCOS
    MMC 6/13 at 9 weeks
    BFP 10/13!

Little A was born at 36 weeks on 5/23/14!

• crhein26 said:
    I can tell you that my OB/hospital required me to carb load 3 days prior to my GD test.  I should find out the results tomorrow.  I'm not sure why, but they required me to eat 150gms of carbs each day before the test.  I found it odd, but it's what they required.
    150g isn't really carb-loading is it? My GD diet plan is 180g which is considered restrictive.
    Me-27 DH-30
    MMC 6/13 at 9 weeks
    BFP 10/13!

• So since everyone has already said that you shouldn't try to cheat the system I will say that with my first u failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour. I did absolutely nothing different. Just ate normally. GL
  • kibean said:
    If you really do have GD, you need to know so that you can follow the recommended plan. If you don't, you will pass the test without having to do something crazy to make it so.

Also, FWIW, I haven't even failed a glucose test yet and am already following the diet plan and sticking myself 4x a day because it is what the doctors told me to do. You do what you have to do for your baby's health (not to mention your own) and that is all. 

Yes, you're right; I want to follow the recommended diet if I do in fact have GD!  Ever since I failed the 1-hour, I've been avoiding all carbs, so I'm down to about 50g carbs per day.  I'm very freaked out about what this could do to my baby!  I just want to make sure that this is not going to give inaccurate results, since I keep reading online about doctors * recommending* a carb load in the 3-4 days beforehand . . . .
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • kibeankibean member
    edited March 2014
    Edit because quotes looked weird****

I can understand that. It scares me some too. I would just do what your doctor recommends and I would like to think they would have told you if they needed you to do something special diet-wise beforehand (course being informed and questioning things is part of being an informed healthcare consumer, so I am not trying to say googling is bad!). Also, maybe ask them about a healthy level of carbs, since I was told 180 was a good number (45-60 per meal and 15 per snack) and 50 seems kinda low. I know the baby needs at least
    some carbs. 
    Me-27 DH-30
    MMC 6/13 at 9 weeks
    BFP 10/13!

• Tdonatoni said:
    @FeliciaTwo‌ FYI. It's not just about carbs but sugar... Juice, soda, Gatorade, candy, cookies, ice cream, etc...
    Well, sugar is carbs.  Not all carbs are sugar.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say here . . . .  I've obviously been entirely avoiding sugar since I got the 1-hour results back.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • kibean said:
    Edit because quotes looked weird****

I can understand that. It scares me some too. I would just do what your doctor recommends and I would like to think they would have told you if they needed you to do something special diet-wise beforehand (course being informed and questioning things is part of being an informed healthcare consumer, so I am not trying to say googling is bad!). Also, maybe ask them about a healthy level of carbs, since I was told 180 was a good number (45-60 per meal and 15 per snack) and 50 seems kinda low. I know the baby needs at least some carbs.  Fair enough.  I really should have asked when I had them on the phone earlier today, but I started googling (and freaking out) afterwards.  The only thing they said was to have a snack of half a sandwich and 8 oz of milk at 10PM the night before . . .
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Tdonatoni said:
    Trying to say that your body needs good carbohydrates but what you really need to avoid is the processed sugar... Anything over 16g is too much if you have a sugar sensitivity. You just mentioned that you were avoiding carbs so thought I'd just throw out there that you need to watch sugar intake as well since it is more things than just carbs.
    Got it.  When you say "processed sugar" I'm guessing you mean added sugar?  As opposed to the sugars that are naturally in the food and listed on the food label?  (I do think I'd have a hard time getting below 16g of "sugars" since I eat fruit, and drink milk . . . .)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • The 1 hour test often has a false positive. It sounds like you are going a little wild with the results and trying to change up your diet a bunch. If your doctor didn't tell you to do so, you probably shouldn't be specifically limiting your carbs. And even some sugar is good. Continue with a good balanced diet until you get the results from the 3 hour test and your doctor tells you to change.

I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, but seems like you could do yourself more harm than good to be limiting yourself so severely without knowing for sure if you need to. The baby will be fine until you get the results ( That's why they do the test now instead of later). Once you are sure then your doctor will give you healthy guidelines to follow based on your specific needs. If you have questions in the meantime, ask your doctor.

Good luck with your test. I know it's scary, but GD is totally manageable if you have it.
  • Mowill59Mowill59 member
    edited March 2014
    With DS I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour. I didn't change anything at all in my diet except to fast (requested by my doctor) before the 3 hour. I failed the 1 hour this time too and am going back on Friday.

As PPs have said you really shouldn't be trying to drastically change your diet right now for the test. It's extremely normal to fail the first and pass the 3 hour. Just RELAX and take the 3 hour and see what happens.

• Mowill59 said:
    With DS I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour. I didn't change anything at all in my diet except to fast (requested by my doctor) before the 3 hour. I failed the 1 hour this time too and am going back on Friday. As PPs have said you really shouldn't be trying to drastically change your diet right now for the test. It's extremely normal to fail the first and pass the 3 hour. Just RELAX and take the 3 hour and see what happens.
    Well, clearly you're right.  :)  Unfortunately relaxing is something that I'm not very good at.  I want to *do something* to *fix the problem*.  I think I'll see if I can find something relaxing to do while I'm waiting those 3 hours.  Maybe I can at least fix that problem . . . . ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I also failed the 1 hour and passed the 3. I was ordered to fast starting at midnight the night before. Didn't do anything different with my diet the day before. Good luck.
    ~ Jenny ~
    Married to Jake ~ June 4, 2010 ~
    DS born ~ July 22, 2011 ~
    Two chemical pregnancies:  ~ December 2012 ~  & ~ August 2013 ~
    Expecting our baby GIRL!  ~ June 4, 2014 ~
    June '14 May Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV Mom 

• I failed the one hour and passed the three hour with my daughter. I ate homemade rocky road ice cream and brownies (along with a huge meal) the night before the 1 hour (we had friends over for dinner). Before the three hour I ate normally (sweets and meals).
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• I've been watching my glucose level throughout my whole pregnancy because of PCOS. My dr. said what you eat only makes up about 20% of your glucose and the rest is dependent on your body and how much glucose you (I believe your pancreas) makes and how it processes it. Everyone's body is different but I found when I cut out sugar completely and kept my carbs to 30 per meal my morning resting glucose levels were higher but when I ate regularly and allowed my body some sugar and more carbs, my levels were fine. Apparently my pancreas was working overtime at night to make the sugar I wasn't giving it. I don't think there is an exact science since everyone is so different. I ate normally leading up to my one hour test and passed.

The good news is, if you do fail then you know you need to be treated and helped. Good for both you and your baby! And if you pass, then that will be a great relief as well. But it's important to get an accurate, honest result so they can help you if needed.
  • kibean said:
    crhein26 said:
    I can tell you that my OB/hospital required me to carb load 3 days prior to my GD test.  I should find out the results tomorrow.  I'm not sure why, but they required me to eat 150gms of carbs each day before the test.  I found it odd, but it's what they required.
    150g isn't really carb-loading is it? My GD diet plan is 180g which is considered restrictive.
    My GD diet plan is more than 180g of carbs. I agree that 150g is not restrictive. I'm allowed 30g at breakfast, and 15-30g for each of the three snacks. Lunch and Dinner are 30-60grams. So essentially, I can eat from 135 (which is too low), all the way upto 240g per day. 
  • kibean said:
    If you really do have GD, you need to know so that you can follow the recommended plan. If you don't, you will pass the test without having to do something crazy to make it so.

Yes, you're right; I want to follow the recommended diet if I do in fact have GD!  Ever since I failed the 1-hour, I've been avoiding all carbs, so I'm down to about 50g carbs per day.  I'm very freaked out about what this could do to my baby!  I just want to make sure that this is not going to give inaccurate results, since I keep reading online about doctors * recommending* a carb load in the 3-4 days beforehand . . . .
    I'm not a doctor, but 50g of carbs a day is too, too low! I went to see a nurse and nutritionist for my GD and they said if under-eat carbs, it's bad for the baby, because then your body tries to compensate for this loss, which is not good. It also poorly affects your keytones, which if too high are harmful to you and baby. My advice is to not restrict carbs, eat normal until the test result comes back. There is no way to get a 'good' result. It's nothing you did, it's how your hormones are reacting to carbs. 
  • mrsgerman said:
    I think the best thing to do in this situation is to not try to cheat the system. If your body fails it is not because you are doing something wrong but because your placenta is processing sugars wrong. Trying to cheat the system and pass the test when really you need to fail and focus on particular eating guidelines or medications can put you and your baby at serious risk. Put your baby's health before your pride and let your body do what it needs to do
    What she said ^

Doctors don't give diagnoses to make you feel bad about yourself, they do it so that you can work on making sure you and your baby stay as healthy as possible. Why would you want the test to be anything other than accurate?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• "Trying to pass" shouldn't really be the goal. If you have GD, you have GD. Knowing will only help ensure the health of you and your baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited March 2014
    I agree with the PPs about eating a normal diet. I know you are trying to figure out a reason why the test failed but GD can affect perfectly healthy people that don't have any of the risk factors. My cousin who I'd say is overly into a healthy lifestyle if anything had it with her first pregnancy and she was in total shock. I hope your 3 hr test goes better but if it doesn't then remember it doesn't mean you did anything wrong, it just sucks and can randomly strike. The good news is they have great treatment plans so you'll still have a healthy baby and once the pregnancy ends your levels should return to normal. Good luck.
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • I just ate my normal food the days leading up (the doctor didn't recommend to carb-load or not). The night before I went in for my test, 12 hours prior, I ate at Carls Jr... I passed my 3 hour with normal results. Just eat what you normally eat and fast the 12 hours prior to the test.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think you can impact the test on short notice.  My doctor advised me to adjust my diet about six weeks before my test, which I did.  Specifically, he asked me to eat more protein and less carbs and sugar.  I ate normal the night before, except that I also ate two slices of bread (white) with cheese at midnight so I wouldn't pass out before I reached the hospital in the morning.  My doctor and hospital require fasting.  I only took the 3 hour test, and passed it, and maybe that is partly because of my overall diet, but not necessarily.  I do recommend plenty of water beforehand.  By the third draw I was dehydrated and they had a hard time getting any blood.
    image    image

• I ate a huge slice of cheesecake the day before mine and passed - it's not WHAT your eating, it's HOW your body processes it.  Eat like you normally do.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"