May 2012 Moms

Cake Smash at 2?

Being a photographer I did a fab cake smash (lol if i do say so myself) for DD's first birthday.  What do people "do" at 2?  Anything???  I really want to do a mini chef session at three (thinking tons of flour and a chef's hat lol) but I feel like two is too young to do this and she wouldn't know what to do now.  LOL my DH is already like no cake smash but like what are others doing?  

Second thought, we are doing cupcakes for her birthday party but is anyone doing a small cake for the birthday boy/girl to smash at their high chair still?  I kinda still want to and I almost think she will enjoy it more this year.  My April is ridiculous with photography sessions and weddings so I'm trying to square away as much of this as I can for March!!!  
Thanks ladies!!!

Re: Cake Smash at 2?

• We aren't doing a cake smash this year because she didn't really enjoy it the first time. She just kept looking at me like "mom, you are seriously slacking, my hands are so sticky, help me out here!'' lol. That said I just saw my photographer post on FB the other day a preview of a birthday session with a kid who looked 5 or so, and they did a cake smash. It was cute.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• She hated it the first time around, and still hates when her fingers/hands are messy, so I doubt we'll attempt this. I also just had a bad flashback to having cupcakes for her first birthday with one of those big number 1 candles in it. As I was holding it near her while everyone sang to her, the candle fell over and a little bit of hot wax splashed on her hand. Thankfully it wasn't hot enough to burn her and she was too young to be mentally scarred by it, but I will definitely never do a birthday cupcake with a candle in it again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't even do one at one! So I'm a bad judge. My kids get a piece of their cake at one to "smash" this who smash cake is a new thing even since my oldest was born and I never got into it.

But I've seen some awesome balloon photo shoots done with two year olds that were amazing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • bellelamb said:
    But I've seen some awesome balloon photo shoots done with two year olds that were amazing!
    A balloon photo shoot would be awesome!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• So are you just talking photography session or for the party?  Last year we did a cake smash photo, staged with wrapping paper as a backdrop (I love how a baby is small enough to use wrapping paper as a backdrop!) and he didn't really get messy, so I had to fake it by smearing frosting on his face, lol.  We tried letting him have his own cupcake at the party too but he just poked his finger at it like "What's this?"

I haven't thought about the photos yet but we've reserved the local botanical garden's children's picnic area for our party and they supply the paint, bubbles and plants/dirt for kids to play with.  I have invited folks calling it a "MESSY birthday party"  I am doing his party in April this year because all of our friends are from lamaze class and May is very busy with other birthdays :)

Now I'm off to look at balloon photo shoots :-P
  • Hmm the balloon idea is REALLY cute...  i might have to try it!  thanks for the ideas ladies!!!
  • We did a cake smash at 1 but we'll just do a "regular" portrait session for 2.  Maybe incorporate some balloons in her party theme color.  We'll see! 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • tm - LOVE that photo on the right!  what a great shot!
  • Dayz I saw I super cute one with big helium balloons with 2 at 2, 3 at 3 and so on, so stinking cute! Much better than the yearly number pics I've seen before
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"