LGBT Parenting
Options

Possible IUI

My wife and I want to start our family at the end of this year. This will be our first attempt and we are at a loss as to where to begin. I am active duty military but of course Tricare won't cover anything so its all coming out of pocket. I don't think that I have any fertility issues (doctor's appt in 2 days to confirm). I want to try ici at home first from a cost perspective but I don't know how effective that's going to be and I don't want to waste money that could be saved for an IUI at a later date. Has anyone tried the ici at home with successful outcomes? I am also considering hiring a midwife to assist if we do it at home as my wife is a bit uncomfortable with the idea. What are the relative cost differences between the two procedures vs the outcomes?.

Re: Possible IUI

• Options
    Hi there, yes we got pregnant on our 3rd ICI try at home. If you are doing ICI you shouldn't need any assistance. It's pretty easy, load up the syringe and shoot it out, nothing too technical. 

We decided to try 3-6 times at home before switching to IUI's with an RE. It would have been an additional $1,000 to $1,500 to do IUI's and we weren't ready to spend that much yet. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about at home ICI

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First i would like to say im sorry for high jacking your decision buts @Redrockmama would you mind if I ask you a few questions as well? Again sorry to intrude.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No not at all, I'm an open book ask away

• Options
    jocie626jocie626 member
    edited March 2014
    Ok @redrockmama‌ so I tried to go back and look over some of your old post from months ago but I really couldnt find what I was looking for lol. My doctor told me to just go out and cheat on my wife bc thats the only way im going to get pregnant. I was wondering how long if at all did you prepare for the ici? Did you temp and all that? Was there any known fertility issues with you? My doctor says I have PCOS but I have been pregnant in past relationships. How many inseminations did you do each cycle? Im sorry I have alot questions. Im just kinda looking for a push in the right direction because I keep trying to give up and my wife wont let me. Thank you so much for your help.
  • Options
    Wow I'm sorry your doctor said that, so many dr's are very uninformed about TTC with donor sperm. 

Let's see.

1. I temped and charted my cycles for about 6 months before our first ICI. You don't need to do it that long, 3 months is probably enough. We just had a change of plans and had to wait a little longer. 

2. I tracked my temperature, cervical fluid, and cervix position. I also used OPK's. 

3. No known fertility issues. We had a few blood tests done, including progesterone to make sure I was ovulating on my own, before the first attempt.

4. We only did one insem per cycle. First try was about 24 hours after the positive OPK and the 2nd (when we got pregnant) was 12 hours after the positive OPK. I knew from charting that I had a shorter surge and that is how we timed it. Some women have a longer surge so it is good to know your normal instead of having to do multiple insems. 

5. I also took quite a few herbs to increase cervical fluid and mucinex on the cycle that worked. It's not an issue for most women I don't think, but I'd like to think it helped. Oh and prenatals for 3+ months

CrazyAunt84 I will have to look tonight when I get home. I was going to last night and totally forgot. I want to say each vial was about 32-38 million. I don't remember the % though. 

• Options
    @jocie626 I am so sorry your doctor even thought to say something like that to you. That was both unprofessional and rude! I would suggest finding a different doctor if possible. There are many people on this board who have been successful with both ICI and IUI. Hang in there!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Thank you all. I almost fell on the floor when he said that and im truly glad my wife was not with me she might have hit him. I appreciate everyones support. Here in West Texas the only other ob/gyn has a bad reputation for treating woman who are pregnant with girls badly. So I deal with him because I dont want anything to happen if it does work. My doctor hasnt really told me anything but I will totally get more prenatal vitamins. Thank you all for your answers. Im totally taking notes
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies and especially @jocie626 for asking such great questions as I have many of the same. We have figured out the financial part so now we are just trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it. My bloodwork is normal (thank you sweet baby jesus!) and I have an u/s in a week. did anyone else go research crazy before actually doing the procedure? I think I may be stressing my wife more with the overwhelming amount of things I look up on the internet.
  • Options
    Your welcome i didnt know if it was ok since you started the post @ticktock0903 . I have come up with another odd question.... @redrockmama‌ when I get A positive opk how often should test to see how long it last
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"