Am I crazy? 1/2 marathon question — The Bump
Health & Exercise

Am I crazy? 1/2 marathon question

I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon in October. I had been running a year and my sister was going to do it with me. It's next weekend. She had to cancel a month ago for a work trip she can't miss, and I was in the deep part of terrible MS. About 2 weeks ago I started feeling better and got back to my training.

I didn't complete the amount of training I wanted to and I'm for sure much slower. But I feel like I could at least finish even if I didn't run the whole thing. Should I do it anyway? I won't have a buddy, it'll be solo.

I'm afraid of being sore the next day probably only cause I'm preggo and my coping skill are lower lol! Normally I don't mind being sore. I'll be almost 13 weeks and have permission from the doctor etc.

And last it's a long drive, so I feel like if there's no chance I'll finish or something it'll be a waste. I never made it past 8-9 miles in my training runs just because I had to take a break for a couple weeks due to MS. Just don't know what to do.
I did an 18 mile hike a few years back so I have gone a long distance before, so mentally I think I can handle it.

What do you think? Tips? Suggestions? Bag it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

Re: Am I crazy? 1/2 marathon question

• What has the past 2 weeks of your training looked like? How far has your longest run been? If you've been able to run consistently and with no pain, I'd say go for it.
    Just adjust your goals/strategy for the race. I wouldnt set any time goal for the race. I'd probably go with a run/walk method- running for one mile/walking for 1-2 minutes, or running for 10 min/walking for 2 min. That will help you complete the distance and you shouldn't be too sore the next day.
    Also, make sure to carry water/fuel with you, and be prepared to have to use the portopotty to pee during the race.
    How long ago was your 9-mile run? Have you run a half marathon before?

Mommy to R (8.23.11) and K (6.21.14).

• teenybeanteenybean
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Love Its 500 Comments Photogenic
    edited March 2014

Never run a half before. Longest run this week was 7.5 miles. I was planning on bringing sport beans and some teddy grahams they have been working well on longer runs. I had the plan of at least walking all of the water stations, for ease of pacing and fueling/hydration, and even possibly walking like the first half mile as a warmup and interspersing walks at certain mile marks. Also will certainly make use of porta-potties since that has been a killer on my training runs...not having access at mile nine is tough! Last 8-9 mile run was about a month ago unfortunately. The goal really was to finish and get the damn medal I paid for lol! Not going for any type of time record etc. I just felt so good this week that I thought what the heck I can still do it despite the fact that my sis bailed and MS kicked my butt for a few weeks.

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• oh and thanks marathon mom for responding.

marathonmom823
  • I think you can do it -- take it VERY easy, incorperate walk breaks early and often, hydrate well

• I think you can do it too. I did a half marathon once and the longest I ran before was 10 miles a long time before the race. I think you'll be fine with the mindset that you just want to finish. That was my goal. I didn't care about time and was able to finish. Just walk a little and pace yourself.
  • Thanks for the support everyone! I'm going for it and plan to finish only, its gonna be great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards