C-sections

Medication Options

Hi All,

I am due in 4 weeks and will be trying for a VBAC but was thinking last night if I end up having to have a C-Section, what my medication options are. Of course I will ask my OB when I see her on Monday but thought I would ask here too. I had an epi-morph with DS but really hated the morphine and would like to avoid having to take it if at all possible. I do not like the way it makes me feel.
Any other options out there?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Blake012913DSCF1379

Re: Medication Options

• Kim22Kim22 member
    Do you mean during or after the CS? I had 2 with doramorph in my spinal and 1 without it. I will never go without it again, I was in crazy pain an hour after my c compared to 24 painless hours after the other cs's.

After I did Percocet for just a few days then Motrin for about 2 weeks.
  • I had a spinal with all 3 c/s. The first time, I don't think I had morphine in it... But I did have an On-Q pain pump which basically delivers a steady dose of novacaine just under the skin for a few days after surgery. I had ZERO pain the whole time I was in the hospital with this + Percocet. The drawbacks were that it was annoying to have to carry the pump pouch around and in the shower. Also, it leaked the medicine all over my pjs so I had to keep a towel stuffed into my mesh panties to keep dry.

The 2nd/3rd c/s they had stopped using the pumps and felt like the morphine did a better job. Both times, I had CRAZY itching afterwards. A little less the 3rd time b/c the gave me Benadryl ahead of time. BUT... I had some kind of crazy allergic reaction 5 days after surgery... Hives all over my body with a perfect ring around my spinal site. Can't help but think I was allergic to something in the spinal but we have no idea what it was!

All three c/s, I had Percocet and Motrin for pain control at home. Only took Percocet for a couple days and then Motrin for a LONG time- just easing off the dose as my comfort level allowed.

• Loading the player...
  • spinal/morphine/ then percocet. (I took the percocet in the hospital for a couple days then switched to Motrin)

I was so super itchy after it all.

The morphine was great with the pain but I didn't like the haze I was in.

Def talk to your doctor. I don't know what else there is. But I'm sure they will work with you!
  • i am super allergic to morphine so i didnt get any. I dont know what they used but i was never in pain. I would just tell your anestheiologist you dont like it and to use something else. before my c section i had a consult with anesthesia and we went over my plan since i am allergic and had concerns i am on perocet and ibuprofen now and feel great. i barely need them

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"