November 2014 Moms
Options

Betas at 42, doctor not optimistic

I had my first betas drawn yesterday, at 11ish dpo. The doctor called back and told me that they were 42, which is not indicative of a viable pregnancy. She really freaked me out, I had to leave work early. She said that I can come back in a week for my second draw, and hopefully they will be over 1,000 by then. She said that over 1,000 is considered viable. I asked about doing one in 48-72 hours and she said that the doubling thing won't be as accurate and I should wait as long as possible, Wednesday at the earliest. I should "pretend that I'm pregnant" and avoid alcohol/caffeine/cocaine etc. But also prepare myself that this is just elevated HCG/a chemical pregnancy. To not google anything because I'll just get all worked up. Rest and relax. Right.

Now. As I pondered it for a while, I got angry. Like really angry. I thought that 42 at 11dpo was fine. And that her phone manner was super shhhhtty. She dismissed what I had to say and basically told me that it's all in my head. I very well may be having a chemical. And that's fine. But to try to tell me that off one beta? Am I right to be angry? Is 42 just stupid low? Tell it to me straight because I'm going a little crazy waiting. I am not this type of person either! I'm normally pretty chill.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Betas at 42, doctor not optimistic

• Options
    I would be mad.  I'm 11dpo today, and I can just today turn a clear blue pregnancy test positive with FMU (could only turn a FRER before today).  To me, that means my HCG is right around the test limit of the clear blue test which I think is somewhere around 50 mIU/hCG.

The difference of a day or even hours of when you implanted could dramatically change the HCG level this early on among other things.

All of my midwives and OB's have always told me that a single beta level at this stage does not tell you much.  All you know from one value is "Yes, you are pregnant." You have to see doubling time/levels to know more than that.  You could always go somewhere else to have a true 48 or 72 hour test done if you are worried.

Good luck.  Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get good news :)

imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD Born 11.27.2011
    BFP 9.19.2013 - EDD 6.1.2014 - MMC @ 8 weeks 3 days

• Options
    My first beta was 14 & my doctor was thrilled!! Wtf is wrong with your doctor & what awful way to talk to her patients! I'm so sorry but please don't let her kill your joy! That's a fantastic # for 11 dpo & it will continue to increase! Congratulations!

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with @KatzKiss. I'm very sorry that she put that in your head and made you angry. FX that your numbers double.
  • Options
    That was a horrible thing for your doctor to say, and patently untrue. With my almost 3 year old, my betas at 11 dpo were 16; all that meant was that the embryo had implanted maybe a couple of days before. One number means nothing, especially at this early stage; it is all about the doubling. I know after what she said to you, it will be hard to relax, but just rest assured that everything she said about your hcg was idiotic and has no bearing on the viability of your pregnancy.
  • Options
    I have no beta number info to share,  but just wanted to say good luck,  and I would be looking for a new doctor.   From what other folks are saying,  she is misinforming you and making you stress over nothing. 

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• Options
    I agree with @Katzkiss that a new OB might be a good idea. I wouldn't want someone with that attitude overseeing my pregnancy.

This site has a range for HCG by week:

https://americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html

Hope you can see how wide the range is and it helps to ease your mind.
  • Options
    I would be pissed! And I would look for a new doctor. 42 is not a bad number!

My first beta was at 12 DPO and was 31. It's going up like it should (almost 1,500 at 19 dpo), and my doctor is not concerned.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My first at 11dpo was 24. Two days later 105. One week later it was 2023. That Dr. needs to chillax with the drama...

Everything sounds awesome!! Congrats!
  • Options
    My first beta at 10dpo was 30 and they said that was just fine. At 13 dpo it was up to 156 - that's all that really matters. Sorry your doctor is such a doofus!

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • Options
    I think the doctor was smart to tell you to avoid cocaine... But THATS IT! Girl I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I would be so pissed. Try and relax as much as possible and start looking for a new dr. <3
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers      Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    My heart goes out to you! I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Hang in there!

Lilypie Maternity tickers 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    November 2014 Siggy Challenge: Green/ Irish Things
  • Options
    I wouldn't even know where to go to get a second round. I ditched one OB doctor after she told me that ovarian cysts don't hurt that much and to suck it up. Then there's the place I'm trying to get a job at. I wonder how I could get in somewhere else Monday morning before work so I'm still in that 48-72 hour spot. I'm sure nowhere is open tomorrow.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you doc won't allow a test for a week, and the likelyhood of some other doc ordering a test is nill.... I would rest assured knowing you have no bleeding and your numbers was fantastic! And I'm sure next weeks test will prove the doc wrong. But while waiting for the second beta I would look for a new doc, because although a lot of OBs are incredibly stupid in the TTC department, they should not be this dumb when it comes to someone who is actually pregnant.

My 11DPO # was 27.
    And according to this chart, thats totally normal. So your number is great.
    All that matters is the doubling. :)

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

• Options
    LadyBird9 said:
    I think the doctor was smart to tell you to avoid cocaine... But THATS IT! Girl I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I would be so pissed. Try and relax as much as possible and start looking for a new dr. <3
    Hahahahah

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

• Options
    Being pregnant is an emotional and sometimes scary journey. You don't want to be with a dr. who is completely insensitive. I went through that last time and it was awful.
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• Options
    From July (I was really confused when I saw all these posts and then realized The Bump app had a freak out and sent me here)

Anyway, betas double every 48 hours roughly. The reason most doctors monitor bloodwork every 48 hours is for the doubling time, once betas reach around 1000 monitoring via bloodwork isn't as reliable since doubling time slows down.

What I believe she meant by "viable" is that a beta at about 1200 a fetal pole should be visable (no HB until higher numbers, usually).

So, in conclusion, a HCG of 42 is great and well within the normal range. But 1 single number doesn't tell you squat (except if you're KTFU or not. >5 is pregnant)

Go to your general physician and ask for bloodwork and while waiting for the results find a new OB.
    (Some of the best places to find one is on local FB groups).

Good luck! Off I go back to the CORRECT board!
    --------------
    imageimage

M/C: 1/24/2010

Cecelia:11/22/10

CAUTIOUSLY expecting Jace in July August 2014

Old Bumpie, New name 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"