May 2012 Moms
Options

Is your lo still rear facing?

selockarselockar member
edited March 2014 in May 2012 Moms
I have to wrestle lo into his car seat every time we go somewhere. A friend saw this and said to lo " aww, your still rear facing. Tell your mommy you want to turn around." I don't think she was trying to be rude, but it made me wonder. How many of you are still rear facing?

Is your lo still rear facing? 40 votes

Still rear facing
62% 25 votes
Forward facing
37% 15 votes

Re: Is your lo still rear facing?

• Options
    My daughter gets incredibly car sick when rear facing to the point where she would throw up on the 5 minute drive to the grocery store. Front facing she has only gotten car sick once on a long drive on country roads. If she didn't get car sick she would still be rear facing.
  • Options
    My daughter gets incredibly car sick when rear facing to the point where she would throw up on the 5 minute drive to the grocery store. Front facing she has only gotten car sick once on a long drive on country roads. If she didn't get car sick she would still be rear facing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son is rear facing but I have a swiveling seat so its easy to put him in and he enjoys sitting that way. Dh and mil say he looks cramped but I've seen kids with way longer legs rear facing and cramped beats internal decapitation!
  • Options
    He will be rear facing until he reaches the seats limit!! Even forward facing I have to wrestle my 3 year old in his and he is just as cramped because he sits behind dh who has his seat back farther
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options

GromMom said:
    My son is rear facing but I have a swiveling seat so its easy to put him in and he enjoys sitting that way. Dh and mil say he looks cramped but I've seen kids with way longer legs rear facing and cramped beats internal decapitation!
    They make a car seat with a swiveling seat? I had no idea. Which one is it?  Lo is using the back of the seat to push against and then arching his back and grabbing onto the handle on the ceiling. If I could swivel his seat away from the back of the seat I think I could get him in without the fight.
  • Options
    We just shelled out $ for a new convertible seat because DD reached the RF height limit for our Britax. I plan to keep her RF at least until age 3, especially considering her giant head size (over 100th percentile) compared to her skinny little body. I taught her how to sit "criss cross, apple sauce" when she doesn't want to keep her feet up on the seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    selockar said:

GromMom said:

They make a car seat with a swiveling seat? I had no idea. Which one is it?  Lo is using the back of the seat to push against and then arching his back and grabbing onto the handle on the ceiling. If I could swivel his seat away from the back of the seat I think I could get him in without the fight.

I'm pretty sure it's the car itself that has a swiveling seat. Some newer SUVs and minivans with captain's chairs in back have the swivel option.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I turned him FF around 19 months. I like the idea of keeping them RF for as long as possible but it was just getting too difficult to heave a massive child into the seat in the RF position.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    picklesx said:

I turned him FF around 19 months. I like the idea of keeping them RF for as long as possible but it was just getting too difficult to heave a massive child into the seat in the RF position.

Not trying to be snarky but how is any easier ff ?? And what is massive :)
  • Options
    DD had to be switched forward when she started screaming her head off at about 14 months. I planned to keep her rear facing to the seats limit, but it was unsafe to drive with that going on behind me. I could driver her any further than down the hill to get groceries because I could have caused an accident with my nerves that on edge from that much blood curdling screaming coming from behind me. I even had to take her on the bus a couple of times DH wasn't around to drive us somewhere because I was that afraid. Not a single scream or fight since she's been forward facing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    DS is still rear facing and I plan to keep him that way as long as possible. Like PP, I had to buy a new car seat for DH's truck because DS got to tall for the Britax. I got a Radian. He is still okay on height for the Britax in my car. It is a newer model so maybe they increased the frame a bit in the past few years.
  • Options
    I hope to keep her rear facing until the seat limits...the seat in my car is to 35 lbs, in my husband's car it's 40 lbs, so I'll be switching with him when she hits 35 lbs, since she's only in his car once a week. 
  • Options

ELF4321 said:

GromMom said:
    I'm pretty sure it's the car itself that has a swiveling seat. Some newer SUVs and minivans with captain's chairs in back have the swivel option.
    opps. Haha. That makes more sense,
  • Options
    We switched DD at 19 mos. But honestly it was easier when she was kicking and throwing a fit against the back of the seat to keep her there and buckle her in then it is now. Every once in a while she doesnt want to be buckled and now she can make herself stiff and slide out of the seat when I am trying to buckle her. My 34 wk pregnant belly makes anything difficult when it comes to getting her in the car though at this point. Another thing about FF facing that I didn't think of before we turned her is the sun is in her eyes a lot more now and the sunglasses don't always stay on so that causes more tears.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My /Chart; BFP 3/8/11 CP 3/16/11; 7/11 HSG & S/A both clear;
    Cycle 12~ 50 mg Clomid=BFP 9/9/11, Beta #1=280 & Beta #2=1513, 6w3d hb=122 bpm/ 8w2d hb=186 bpm/12w2d could not hear hb had a 3rd u/s and got to see the hb. 16w2d heard the hb! 156 bpm. A/S 1/3=girl
    <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • Options
    Fortunately kiddo doesn't seem to mind being rear facing yet. We have a 30 minute commute each way to daycare. Sometimes he fights me about getting into the carseat, but once we get going we're generally good. We've put him forward facing a few times (on airplanes) and he seems to like it, but hasn't made any indication yet that would be his preference.
  • Options
    @selocar actually the car seat swivels, I have the combi zeus 360. It literally saved me from my mommy's thumb that I was getting from loading my heavy lo into the rear facing position. It wasn't cheap at $300 and change but it is cheaper than the orbit, I saw that one at $800 and wished for a cheaper option when talking to my friend and she found me the combi zeus 360 on Amazon, it saved me a ton in doctor's bills I'm certain!
  • Options
    bellelamb said:

Not trying to be snarky but how is any easier ff ?? And what is massive :)

He was about 33 lbs when I turned the seat around. It was more difficult just because of the seat back and his legs would get caught and drag against the seat back as I was trying to put him in and it was overall just a lot more difficult. Now that he is older I'm sure it wouldnt be so much of a problem since he can sort of maneuver himself into the seat and I wouldn't have to heave him, but whatever. He's happy facing forward now, he will be 2 in a month and I can see out my back window easily now and reach into my back seat from the driver's seat without a problem :P
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
  • Options
    Pickelsx wow that is massive ;) my three year old weighs that :)
  • Options
    picklesxpicklesx member
    edited March 2014
    bellelamb said:

Fortunately he seems to have finally leveled off and he actually lost 2 or 3 lbs and has started thinning out as he gets taller! Just following his own little growth curve I guess.

BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
  • Options
    picklesx said:

bellelamb said:

Fortunately he seems to have finally leveled off and he actually lost 2 or 3 lbs and has started thinning out as he gets taller! Just following his own little growth curve I guess.

And I thought my lo was big, he hit 28 lbs at 11 months, fortunately for my back he stopped gaining weight and is around 30 now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"