Two Under 2

how soon is too soon?

I have a two and a half month old. The first few weeks were really rough, but now that I am adjusted to having a baby I love being a mom more than anything. He is my sunshine! I've always wanted my kids close in age, but I always thought about 2 years apart. Now that I've experienced motherhood all of a sudden I REALLY want another. My husband and I talked about it and he does too, but is a little concerned about increased risks during pregnancy for me and the new baby. If we start trying for two at 6 months is that too soon?

Re: how soon is too soon?

• I was told its best to wait until the kids would be around 18 months apart (I had a c-section) so that my uterus could heal. Not sure what is recommended for natural births. I know people who have had kids closer together than that and things were just fine. :) talk to your dr. And see what he/she recommends.
  • I got pregnant with #2 when #1 was 6 months old. I would probably suggest waiting a little longer. I hadn't experienced teething barely at all when I got pregnant and DD1 basically got all of her teeth during my pregnancy and even though she was a great sleeper from the beginning, I think she rarely slept through the night during my pregnancy. I was exhausted all the time. I also wound up with a 34 week preemie and handling the NICU with a 1 year old was also difficult. Also it is a little complicated juggling 2 babies that both need carried/held a lot. Not trying to discourage you entirely, there are some nice things about having them close together or at least that's what I hear:) But in the beginning (where I still am) it's difficult. Also being pregnant for 2 years in a row kinda sucks! 

• Loading the player...
  • ac1259 said:
    I got pregnant with #2 when #1 was 6 months old. I would probably suggest waiting a little longer. I hadn't experienced teething barely at all when I got pregnant and DD1 basically got all of her teeth during my pregnancy and even though she was a great sleeper from the beginning, I think she rarely slept through the night during my pregnancy. I was exhausted all the time. I also wound up with a 34 week preemie and handling the NICU with a 1 year old was also difficult. Also it is a little complicated juggling 2 babies that both need carried/held a lot. Not trying to discourage you entirely, there are some nice things about having them close together or at least that's what I hear:) But in the beginning (where I still am) it's difficult. Also being pregnant for 2 years in a row kinda sucks! 

I was pregnant for pretty much two years in a row, and it was kind of nice to get it out of the way. My boys are 13 months apart. There are definitely tough times. But when I first got pg with baby two, baby one wasn't mobile, so that was nice. I could lay on the couch with morning sickness while he was on his play mat. But my first has always been a good sleeper and an easy teether.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My kids are 18 months apart and I honestly think it's perfect. She was STTN and still napping good during my pregnancy. And she was fully walking before DS was born.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Talk to your OB. I got pregnant with DS2 when DS1 was ~3 months old, and they are 3 days shy of 12 months apart.. I got pregnant with LO3 when DS2 was ~5 months old. They are expected to be 14mos apart, but I have a tendency of delivering early so likely closer to 13. My OB cleared me both times at my 6wk follow up... If having your kids close together is what you want, it's absolutely doable :-).
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • My kids are 19.5 mos apart and I think it's a great age difference.  Obviously, it will be difficult at first but that will be true no matter what the age difference.  I think I would wait till probably wait till your LO is 8 or so months first but talk to your OB and see what they suggest.  If your first pregnancy and delivery went smoothly it probably will not be an issue.  
  • If you had a healthy pregnancy and a vaginal delivery, then I think 6 months is reasonable.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • So much of the answer to this question is personal. For us, we love our 13 month age gap. That said, I have easy pregnancies, easy babies, and can tandem nurse. We wanted a slightly bigger age gap before #3, but we already stopped preventing making a 15 month age gap between DS and #3 a possibility. This works for us.

That said, my sister is having her second soon and will have a 26 month age gap. Another sister has a 9 year old and a 3 year old and is just now considering a third. Both of their situations work for them and their health and family needs. Do what works for you, and enjoy the journey!
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Thanks ladies! We'll probably be discussing it for a while. There is so much to consider!
  • I would ask your ob his or her recommendation based on your body. I got the clearance to try whenever I felt ready at my six week pp checkup. I was young, in good physical shape, and had a quick recovery. The recommendations will likely vary woman to woman and I'd make the decision based on me, not just some generic recommendation. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"