Nurseries and Baby Gear

shoes for LO

So I've been looking at early walker shoes and we have a few Robeez that we've been gifted but I don't really love the look. Has anyone purchased Freshly Picked Moccasins for their LO?  I love the look of the shoe and they come in a wide range of great colors. I also love that the shoe is soft bottomed so it easily forms to the foot and is like being barefoot. 

I've been researching and of course all the bloggers love the shoes but I was looking for an opinion on the quality from someone who isn't gifted or paid to advertise them! The price tag is pretty hefty. 

Re: shoes for LO

• I have become a bit of a shoe snob for DD, I will only put an early walker in pedipeds. We tried a number of shoes and they all fell apart or looked very worn after only a few weeks. Now I will say that DD did learn to walk in spring/summer and did lots of walking outside. Pedipeds held up beautifully and are still in good enough condition that I would put them on another child, plus they are much cuter than robeez and DD left them on.

I think keens and stride rite are nice once your child is comfortable walking is a real shoe sole, for my daughter that wasn't until 15ish months (she started walking around 9 months).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I always buy Pedipeds for my early walkers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Loading the player...
  • We have always had our kids ware stride rites and Robezz as their first shoes.
  • I also recommend Pedipeds - they were the best!!  DS also really liked his Skidders when he was first cruising and walking, but they're not great for outdoors; they're basically like socks with a rubberized bottom.
  • Thanks everyone! I will have to look up pedipeds! I have never heard of them!

@mbm1983 I was looking at the see kai run shoes as well! I was curious if the Toms were too cushiony? 
  • We have used Stride Rite..cute but I only buy them on sale...I don't know if I think they're worth the regular $50 price tag.

we also use a lot See Kai Run. They're on sale alot. I usually grab them for $25 or so. Most are leather. I like them the best mostly because I feel like they leave a little more room to grow where DD outgrows stride rite pretty quickly, her See Kai Runs in the same size last a bit longer.

We just bought a pair of Toms. I'm not a fan at all. She can get them off her feet very easily. She wore them for two days at daycare and the toes are entirely scuffed and have white marks where the material (blue with stars) completely wore off. The sole is also very stiff and she tends to trip herself up a ton. (she's 15 months and has been walking since 12)

• sometimes you can find stride rites on amazon on sale . I only buy them on sale too.
  • mbm1983 said:
    jtmomma13 said:
    Thanks everyone! I will have to look up pedipeds! I have never heard of them!

@mbm1983 I was looking at the see kai run shoes as well! I was curious if the Toms were too cushiony? 
    yeah i get the skr's when they are on clearance, just sign up for the emails they have sales all the time. i will say though when my kid first started out, she loved zipping around in the walker. she actually wore a hole in the toe of one of the shoes. but she wore them everyday for a few months so i wouldn't say they fall apart easily.

the TOM's are comfortable. but not as flexible as the others. they had harder soles. but still...bendy? if that makes sense. mine had no problem walking in them. zulily had them on sale recently and i got a couple pairs for about 18 each.
    @mbm1983- yes- totally makes sense about the TOMS. I keep forgetting about zulily because I never find anything cute for boys- seems a little more geared to girls IMO. 
  • I never had any Robeez for my daughter but I got some hand me downs with my son so we've been wearing them.  He is rough on stuff and crawls and walks outside in them and they are still looking and doing great.  I'm really shocked.  I have some Pedipeds too but I've liked the Robeez for the beginning to walk/still crawling a lot age.  I plan to switch to slightly more structured shoes when he's walking more reliably.  

I also love Nike Frees for toddlers.  They weight like nothing so they seem to help them fall less. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I've lusted over Freshly Picked moccasins forever! I just can't spend the $60 though!

I also love Pedipeds, they are adorable, but also perfectly flexible for early walkers (you want something you can bend in half). I love that they are lightweight and the mary jane girl styles help them get nice and snug on little feet. 

When DD was a little more steady with her walking, I let the lady at Nordstrom guilt me into buying some StrideRite shoes ("she only gets one pair of feet" she said!), and they are great, but they are kind of bulky and not my favorite looks-wise. 

I have had good luck finding small walker shoes at Consignment shops and shoes, and because most babies grow out of them quickly, you can usually find them in very good condition. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am a baby shoe-aholic. We love Freshly Picked Moccs. That being said, the $60 price point started becoming an issue when I began purchasing for two boys instead of one. I now purchase moccs from an etsy seller that I swear are the exact same shoes except half the price and they don't have the FP stamped on the bottom. If you are interested the seller is TaytsCloset on etsy. Or you can follow her on Instagram @babytmoccs. She doesn't have as big of a selection as FP, but she can usually custom make a pair for you in the color you want. :)
  • alakealake member
    I always buy Pedipeds for my early walkers.
    My kids wear these until they outgrow the sizes.
    My older two wear what ever catches their eye.
    DD1 (8) wears Pumas as her main shoes for school.
    DD2 (6) wears Nike
  • B wears freshly picked all the time. They're amazing, the best mocs I've found so far because I think the sole is a little thicker but still flexible so it's good for outside.

He also has a couple pair of stride rite and some nikes.
  • Thanks everyone for the input! Looks like I have a lot of new shoes to look at! 
    @taylorjeanne84 thank you for the etsy store! I will take a look! Maybe I will do a pair while he is learning to crawl etc so that when we go out he can have his feet protected and look cute! @MrsBigTime I also think that the stride rites look very bulky! I also am not huge on a lot of the designs. 

I do have a feeling that my LO is going to be barefoot most of the summer! 

• I am a baby shoe-aholic. We love Freshly Picked Moccs. That being said, the $60 price point started becoming an issue when I began purchasing for two boys instead of one. I now purchase moccs from an etsy seller that I swear are the exact same shoes except half the price and they don't have the FP stamped on the bottom. If you are interested the seller is TaytsCloset on etsy. Or you can follow her on Instagram @babytmoccs. She doesn't have as big of a selection as FP, but she can usually custom make a pair for you in the color you want. :)
    I just checked out the etsy shop you mentioned and they are darling! As soon as she restocks gold or platinum, they are gonna be mine!!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bought LO his first shoes from stride rite at 15 months... He loves them and wants to wear them all the time.. Picked them up from www.look.com at 50% off.. ~$23 Also second the see Kai runs... They go on 60% clearance sale a lot and picked up two pairs for LO for a total of $25!! Crocs are for play n the beach...
  • Bought LO his first shoes from stride rite at 15 months... He loves them and wants to wear them all the time.. Picked them up from www.look.com at 50% off.. ~$23 Also second the see Kai runs... They go on 60% clearance sale a lot and picked up two pairs for LO for a total of $25!! Crocs are for play n the beach...
  • We started with Robeez and moved into Stride Rite. I'd never heard of Freshly Picked but don't get how you like them but not Robeez - they look basically the same to me...
  • I started DD in Stride Rite SRT (soft soled) when she started to walk.  Loved them.

I bought Momo Baby First Walker/Toddler Polka Dots T-Strap Leather Shoes along with another style and love them too. Very soft, yet the leather and velcro has held up very well.  THey fit a wider foot, which suits DD perfectly.

While I look for shoes on sale, this is one area I'd spend the extra money.

I LOVE LOVE shopping for shoes for DD!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"