November 2012 Moms

chicken pox vaccine

yesterday emma got her chicken pox vaccine and now is getting a rash on her legs. She also has eczema so i dont know if it is related or not. Has anyone else thats 15 month old got that vaccine had any reactions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: chicken pox vaccine

• Our office said the reaction wouldn't be for 7-10 days.
    Could be a fever, rash at site of injection or break out with chicken pox.

Now, having said that,...DS got the shot last Wednesday. He has a yeast rash in his diaper area (but also has a rash on his legs that has been there several weeks - doc's office now suspects it is yeast as well).
    He has had diarrhea for 2 days.
    And he was sick to his stomach Saturday night several times, and once Sunday evening.

• DD got that vaccine at 12 months.  She also has eczema.  She got a chicken pox type rash all over.  Pedi said that was a common side effect and that I could give her Benadryl if I wanted.  She didn't itch it so I didn't give her any medicine.  This began 4 days after she received the vaccine and lasted for a few days.  Pedi said it could get worse before it got better, but hers never got any worse.

• Loading the player...
  • did you ladies but anything topical on it? She has also had a rash for a couple weeks on her legs and arms but pedi said that it was eczema or heat rash related and he bumps coming up today are alot brighter and blisterier looking. He also told me i could give her zyrtec.. I bought it but have been afraid to give it to her. She takes my hand and tries to make me scratch for her :( She also has an antibitoic hydrocortisone type cream i am using, not sure if it will work with this new rash though.

STILL waiting for the nurse to call me.

• A blistery rash is likely the chicken pox.
    Not sure it would show that soon. My doc's office said 7-10 days...
  • Well.. It is an attenuated virus, so the time to manifest symptoms might be shorter. Humans vary too, so who can say. Our LO got the mumps via the vaccine. We were told symptoms wouldn't show for 10 days and they started within 48. We were in the ER 4 days later, with one miserable lumpy faced little kiddo.

Call your doc. for sure. Maybe they can recommend something that will ease the itching.
  • I didn't give DD anything topical.  She did have a fever the night she got the vaccine so I gave her Motrin for that, but nothing for the rash.  I would definitely get her into the pedi to get it checked out if she's itching it like that.

• he said it is definitely not pox but something gianodi costi caused by the bug she had a little while ago and that there is nothing we can really do for it but give it time to clear. She really doesnt scratch it much but im still putting her ointment he gave me a couple weeks ago for the eczema.

• he said it is definitely not pox but something gianodi costi caused by the bug she had a little while ago and that there is nothing we can really do for it but give it time to clear. She really doesnt scratch it much but im still putting her ointment he gave me a couple weeks ago for the eczema.

L has something that Drs are saying may be that same virus-caused rash. She's on week six and they said it could last up to six weeks, though hers doesn't seem to itch like your LO's. Yay mystery rashes.
    kids with flags
  • @brenlo42 she only itches it like once a day or at night she puts my hand on it..so nothing terrible. 6 weeks is a long dang time!

• @lyndsihutson - where, specifically on the leg is the rash? Does it seem to itch more at night?
  • yes @maven212 and thighs to right below knee is the worse.

• @lyndsihutson nothing between toes and fingers?

I wonder if there is a point in putting calamine on it. I don't know what the appropriate age range for that would be. I suppose advil would reduce the inflammation a bit on really itchy nights.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"