Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Preschool for 2 year-olds

Hello! I'm back from a long hiatus from the bump. I have twin girls who are 18 months.For the most part I am a stay-at-home mom. Next fall when they are 2, I'd like to send them to one of 2 preschools in the area that accepts 2 year olds. Both programs have mainly 2 and 3 year-olds, and then once the kids are older they go to "real" pre-school. It is mainly for socialization and to help with separation anxiety. Both are 2 hours in the morning twice per week. I just can't decide which one to do. One is 5 minutes away, but the building is old and there are not as many toys. Overall it is much more "dumpy". The teachers seemed very nice, and I know a couple moms whose kids go there and they have been very happy with it. The other one is about 15-20 minutes away, but is in a new building with a beautiful play area and great toys. It is also a little more expensive. Both programs include a circle time, craft, snack, and free play, just in different ways. I'm planning on doing errands while the girls are there, and there are stores right by both programs. Thoughts?
image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Preschool for 2 year-olds

• Options
    New does not necessarily equal better...but calling the first place "dumpy" makes it sound like you are already down on it.

Do you know anyone at the newer school? Have you met with the teacher or asked to sit in on a class? Personally, my own comfort level with the location and teachers, plus the recommendation(s) of other moms I know would help me make the decision.

• Options
    I guess I am a little "down" on the first place. I don't know anyone at the newer school, but they hold mommy and me classes in addition to the preschool, and the teachers and program is great. I just wonder if it's worth it to drive an extra 15 minutes and pay more if it won't matter to the kids.

image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Spin313Spin313 member
    edited March 2014
    westie27 said:

I guess I am a little "down" on the first place. I don't know anyone at the newer school, but they hold mommy and me classes in addition to the preschool, and the teachers and program is great. I just wonder if it's worth it to drive an extra 15 minutes and pay more if it won't matter to the kids.

IMO, fifteen minutes is not far. How big of a difference is the price...? If it's insignificant, maybe attend a mommy and me class now at the new place and see how you like it.

Going back to your OP though, it sounds like these programs are more like MMO (moms morning out) since you said it's mostly for 2-3 year olds, and not where your kids will be for "true" preschool. If it were me, I'd probably choose the cheaper, well recommended place and save the money for preschool tuition.

• Options
    This would just be for age 2, and then at 3 they would go to a real preschool. They work on letters, counting, etc… but I don't think it's enough to be all they do before kindergarten. The price difference isn't horrible, I think it's a $120 difference for both girls combined for an 8 week session. I'm leaning towards the closer one-then spending the money for ages 3 and 4 as the OP suggested.
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm in our town's mom's club, so we know a ton of moms/kids their age, so I'm not worried about needing to make connections. 
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'd probably lean toward the closer, less expensive one as well if it's just for a year.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"