April 2014 Moms
Options

Third trimester ultrasound

I was at my midwives yesterday and they are offering (not requiring) a third trimester ultrasound. They said they can look at kidneys, brain, growth a bit better than the 20 weeks one. I told them no for now. I have no medical indication and everything that has been ok up to this point. Since ultrasounds are often way off for size at this point I'm worried it'll start more issues than necessary. Have any of you elected to get a non medically indicated ultrasound (other than for pics) - why?

Re: Third trimester ultrasound

• Options
    Yes, our midwifery office offers an elective ultrasound around 32-34 weeks. We said yes because we love the idea of seeing our little girl as much as possible! Plus, to be honest, I'm a worrier. I was super grateful for the extra reassurance that her brain, kidneys, and heart all look "excellent." They certainly didn't try to push the ultrasound on us, so if you don't feel like you need it, don't sweat it! I just want people to tell me as much as possible that all is fine and good :) 

• Options
    With my first I never had a third tri u/s until my water broke early and it was determined that I had had too much amniotic fluid, something that wasn't present during the anatomy scan or caught with outward measurements. With my second I got a couple of third tri u/s to check for potential concerns like this. I was relieved to have them and know everything was ok. Everything was healthy with my 2nd pregnancy, so with this one I haven't gotten any u/s since anatomy scan. I won't be asking for one, but if the Dr wants to do one, I would definitely do it just for my peace of mind. But that's just me and there's nothing wrong with choosing otherwise.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"