August 2014 Moms
Options

*facepalm* remicaid is no longer viable

Ok i have crohns. I've mentioned it before and I've also had a flare up of it while pregnant... the only medicine that seems to keep me ok is remicaid (an infusion done at the hospital every 7 weeks). For about a year now I've had small reactions, a couple of hives here and there but nothing major. The last infusion my throat swelled up (just felt like bad strep throat) and after it i had a threatened miscarriage. This time around I got hives and my lip became swollen. We took every precaution this time around and still i have a reaction. 

So where to go from here...? I didn't get my entire dose (not even close to it) so the next week or so until we figure out the next step is going to be torturous. In the mean time I have a lovely swollen lip and now that the benadryl has kicked it full force I need to sleep. I'm so mad and sad at the same time. 
IAmPregnant Ticker}

Re: *facepalm* remicaid is no longer viable

• Options
    @thosethreewords my GI just called and he said we're going to try to get me on humira. It's another med I have to jump through hoops with the insurance company to get and he wants to get me started on it asap since I didn't get much remicaid. If the humira doesn't work then for the rest of my pregnancy I'll be on steroids and after the pregnancy I'll probably need surgery. Bleh
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    The reactions didn't really start till about a year ago (I've been on it two, going on three years now) and they didn't get really bad until I got pregnant. The idea with remicaid is you get it every so often so your body starts to develop antigens or a resistance to it. Some people can be on it the rest of their lives and not have an issue but others(like me) slowly developed an allergic reaction and have to look at other options. I'm just really irritated right now lol. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is my brother's fear but his GI doc also said that perhaps Humira when Remicade stops working....I get the insurance issues too....best wishes!
    Praying this little one sticks!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm just irritated by it right now. We both knew it was coming to an end but I think my GI was hoping I could finish out my pregnancy on it. It's ok that I'm not on it anymore just wish it didn't happen now. Hopefully humoral can get approved easily(I've recently had a tb test and I'm immured and/or have got vaccinated for all other diseases...) things I had to do to get approved for the remicaid. Blew this isn't something I wanted to deal with right now. Oh well...life goes on lol
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    I take Humira for RA, and I swear by it! I was on Remicaid, which stopped working. I have now been on Humira for 6 years. Hope it works out for you! Its also easier to do since its a simple shot at home. GOOD LUCK!!!
    It's a boy and a girl!

• Options
    I don't know anything about meds for crohn's, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry that the needs aren't working for you! A friend of mine can only use remicaid, so I know how devastated she would be if it stopped working. I hope you find another viable solution soon!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"