September 2014 Moms
Options

UTI

Do any of y'all treat UTI's naturally instead of antiobiotics? Can you please tell me the pregnancy safe cranberry pill you use, the dosage you do for *treatment* (as opposed to just prevention), and how long it usually takes to kick the UTI? Thanks!

Re: UTI

• Options
    I have CranRx at home right now; if anyone happens to know if this is a good/safe option.

(PS yes I called my OB about this already; we don't really see eye to eye on the natural stuff and I'll be switching OB's soon and I plan to go over all this with my naturopath at my appt next week but wanted to go in with some idea of options. My current OB said cranberry pills aren't really tested for pregnancy safety but he thinks the one I have "should be fine.")
  • Options
    Drink cranberry juice. My Dr says its OK to take azo
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't mess around while pregnant.  Get on antibiotics.  Infections can get bad enough to cause pregnancy loss.
  • Options

UTIs during pregnancy are no laughing matter. If your doctor told you to take antibiotics for an infection you really ought to listen.

In my overwhelming experience with recurring UTIs, cranberry cannot treat an infection. It *may* help prevent, but it won't do much of anything after you are diagnosed.

I was going to say the same thing. Cranberry has never worked for my reoccurring UTIs. I've even had one turn into a kidney infection. You don't want to mess with them. Hope it goes away soon and you are feeling better!
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers ladies. I know some of you are concerned I'm not putting the health of the baby first by wanting to skip antibiotics, but please know the entire reason I want to skip the antibiotics is for the health of the baby. Gut bacteria are SO important to our health the the bacteria in our bodies has an effect on baby's gut bacteria which will affect all sorts of aspects of their health well after birth. Antibiotics are not something I want messing with mine or baby's gut flora unless it's really necessary. And a UTI caught early on may be a time they aren't necessary bc there are other options. So for now I'll be stocking up on cranberry pills, D-mannose foods, and water; but yes I will also get checked out again soon to see if I'll need the antiobiotics if those things don't work. Im not being careless about this; I'm trying to avoid taking in unnecessary and even harmful substances when not needed during pregnancy, just like the rest of you! :)

If anyone knows of a certain brand of cranberry pills their OB/midwife said is safe I'd still love to hear it! Or any other treatments that may have been suggested to you! Thanks!
  • Options
    Yeah, good luck with that. Hope you don't get super uncomfortable in the meantime.

• Options

Yeah, good luck with that. Hope you don't get super uncomfortable in the meantime.

I'm on my 3rd cranberry pill of the day and feel loads better than this morning; thanks :)

(But also I know with UTI's it's not all about feeling better- you can feel better by taking something like Azo and still have tons of bad bacteria in your urine. So even though I'm feeling better I'll go pee in a cup in a week or so to double check).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"