Parenting

The circus is bad, right?

One of my work friends just asked me to come to the circus in a couple weeks.  Its the Shrine circus.  I thought circuses were pretty abusive to animals, correct?  I was surprised becasue my (often hypocritical) other co-worker started saying how she used to love taking her daughters to the circus, but gets all up in arms about hunting becasue it is cruel. 

I googled a bit, and of course the Shrine website has this big long thing about how great they treat there animals, but then I found some other sites that said that Shrine basically contracts out their name so most don't follow their rules.

What do you guys think?  I'm leaning towards no circus.  Then I feel like I am depriving my kid of the few fun things that actually come around here. 

image image

Re: The circus is bad, right?

• There is no real humane way to transport animals in cages all over the country for performances. I went as a kid but will not be taking my children. If someone chooses to take their children I would not judge them.
  • Loading the player...
  • No beacause clowns.

best reason I've ever heard
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Ok, I think I am going with no. I'll take him to Cirque de Soliel (sp?) when they are in town.
    image image
  • My parents bought us tickets to see the big apple circus. About 75% - 85% were all people acts. They did have some dogs and a horse. Even though the tickets were already bought (they were a gift) I did research it. I found that they were one of the "better" circuses out there.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • I do not encourage the circus and your friend is kind of back asswards if you ask me. When someone hunts they are using that animal as food, and we donate the deer pelts to an organization that makes gloves out of them for underprivileged families. The majority of Circus's abuse their animals. Plus I agree with the other posters about clowns. ::shudder::

Do you have any petting zoo's or animal farms that a friend may own? It isn't an elephant or tiger but your children are still getting to see animals (donkeys, goats,sheep, pony rides?) in their home and you are not supporting the circus. If your kids want to see these animals I would start saving for a trip to the Zoo (if one isn't local, I do not have one local.)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image       image

image A look at my future

• edited February 2014

My kid is only 1 @aintnoyuppiemom, he still has no clue what the f is going on, lol.  WE'll probably take him to the zoo this summer, we have one nearby that has cheap season passes. 

And this friend is ass backwards about a lot of things.  Makes for a lot of interesting debates during the workday though

ETA: and lol at having a friend who owns a petting zoo or an animal farm.  I'm guessing we live in much different areas!

image image
  • OMG, @aintnoyuppiemom, that is a creepy clown.

I agree that Cirque du Soleil is cool. I haven't researched about others.
  • BluepointToasted yes I think we do live in two different areas. I practically live at a petting zoo. Hey there is my new Job I should open my farm!

Maebb That clown was from Harry Potter. professor Lupins class!

• I sometimes think some petting zoos/farms are worse than certain species (like dogs) working at circuses. It pisses me off to see a poor goat or chicken being chased around and around by kids while their parents coo about how cute it is.

No. The damn goat wants a break. You bugging it while it eats/naps/tries to get away is freaking obnoxious. I hope it head butts you.

image image
  • At the circus in my town last weekend they have a part with Alaskan Malamutes and they started fighting so they dimmed the lights and the trainers starts punching and kicking the dogs as they pulled the curtain around the ring. It was awful and all of the kids were so scared. Needless to say, the show was over for everyone after that and I will not be going to another circus.  

• jackson290721jackson290721 member
    edited February 2014
    I have 8 animals. I pretty much live in a petting zoo. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • mstal0929 said:

At the circus in my town last weekend they have a part with Alaskan Malamutes and they started fighting so they dimmed the lights and the trainers starts punching and kicking the dogs as they pulled the curtain around the ring. It was awful and all of the kids were so scared. Needless to say, the show was over for everyone after that and I will not be going to another circus.  

Kicking can be a legit way to break up a true "to the death" dog fight (no one wants a dead dog), but punching just gets your face too close to that shit.

No good dog trainer would have dogs with that sort of potential conflict and not under their control in a situation like that.

image image
  • I sometimes think some petting zoos/farms are worse than certain species (like dogs) working at circuses. It pisses me off to see a poor goat or chicken being chased around and around by kids while their parents coo about how cute it is. No. The damn goat wants a break. You bugging it while it eats/naps/tries to get away is freaking obnoxious. I hope it head butts you.

RondackHiker hmmm I think you and I have been to two different type of petting zoo's. The ones I have been to there are gumball machines filled with grain the animals are behind a fence and you can feed them and pet them over the fence if they come to you and want food. The ones you can come in more contact with are like the donkeys and ponies if you ride them.

I think it is less of an insurance risk not letting kids in the pen with loose animals. I live in a state where insurance is high. Sorry I wasn't think of a petting zoo with that much chaos.

• I just sent DH this link last week: https://www.ringlingbeatsanimals.com/infographic.asp

Haven't been to the circus in years and knew they were bad, but reading that solidified NEVAR AGAIN. 

• mstal0929 said:

At the circus in my town last weekend they have a part with Alaskan Malamutes and they started fighting so they dimmed the lights and the trainers starts punching and kicking the dogs as they pulled the curtain around the ring. It was awful and all of the kids were so scared. Needless to say, the show was over for everyone after that and I will not be going to another circus.  

Omfg

image image
  • mstal0929 said:

My parents took my kids to the Sat performance so thankfully missed the dog fight Sunday. PETA is now involved also.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • ppants said:
    mstal0929 said:

My parents took my kids to the Sat performance so thankfully missed the dog fight Sunday. PETA is now involved also.
    Are you in Topeka, KS?!? 

• fredalina said:
    Cirque de Soleil or other "people circuses" are my limit.
    Yep, human adults can consent to the travel arrangements. 

OP, I don't think your kids will be deprived by not going to a circus. Hopefully fewer and fewer people will attend as time goes on and the whole industry will eventually cease to exist. (A girl can dream, right?)

• OMG. That dog story makes me sick.
    @-)
    SQUIRREL!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"