July 2013 Moms
Options

Traveling rec?

For formula storage on the plane? James will get a bottle of formula on the airplane... How do you store it? Do you just bring the premixed formula?

Tia for any suggestions...

Re: Traveling rec?

• Options
    Just take a bottle and maybe some travel formula packets and get a bottle of water at the airport?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    saphiressaphires member
    edited February 2014

I am not sure what the rules are on planes but can you use something like this to store your formula in??

https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-formula-dispenser/-/A-13991505#prodSlot=medium_1_27

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You could get one of those powdered formula portion thingies and buy a bottle of water once you go through security. I have this one: https://www.diapers.com/p/munchkin-powder-formula-dispenser-36251?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=MC-321&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1338639443&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=MC-321&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword} the preemie formula I use doesn't come in those single serve packets, so when we go out we use that. Or you could get some of the liquid nursettes.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    Do you only need to feed him 1 bottle during the flight? If so, honestly, assuming you use powder formula, I would just put the formula in a ziploc bag. I'm cheap like that. Although I'm not sure if that would be sketchy with TSA.

Otherwise, we use the formula dispenser that @emmb72713 suggested when we're out and about.
  • Options
    when we flew last week I took 4 bottles (water only) with me and a tupperware of powder (+scoop) with me. At the security checkpoint they put the bottles in a scanner to test them, so you won't have to buy water at the airport. It was surprisingly easy. 
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Options
    chiboo9 said:

Do you only need to feed him 1 bottle during the flight? If so, honestly, assuming you use powder formula, I would just put the formula in a ziploc bag. I'm cheap like that. Although I'm not sure if that would be sketchy with TSA.

Otherwise, we use the formula dispenser that @emmb72713 suggested when we're out and about.
    This is what my husband said to do. I'm a consumer! I want neat little gadgets to get me through my day! :)

Thank you, everyone!
  • Options
    Will they not give you warm water on the plane? I'm hoping they do....I'm just going to bring my powder in my dispenser, that's enough for 3 bottles, plus I will bring one already made....

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So when you get to security with bottles thst have water in them, do you just let security know before your bag goes through the scanner? @ncchnat

Maybe a silly question, but I worry about little things like that.
  • Options
    Thank you for easing my always worrying mind :)
  • Options
    I brought so much baby food in pouches that was over the 3.5 ounce limit and they didn't say a word to me.  I would try to get by with bringing your own water- it's so freaking expensive in the airport! 

• Options
    sunnysnow44sunnysnow44 member
    edited March 2014
    Premixed has been the best for us. We sit and watch othe couples trying to mix on the plane and it is always so frustrating. They drop the powder they don't have water or any number of things. It has been much easier with premixed but the smell is awful.

Edit: bring an empty Nalgene bottle or water bottle to fill up at the airport if you use a formula dispenser. Then you aren't buying water and most airports have water bottle filling stations.
    "Gone to Carolina in my mind..." image

Waiting for our Slurpee baby! Due 7/11
  • Options
    I have brought the premixed bottles of formula. I nurse so I don't go thru formula enough to go through a container of powder before it expires. Even with nursing I would bring a ready mix bottle of formula for each leg of the flight in case I ran out of milk and we were desperate. Or in case I needed a break and to have DH hold a baby. Plus the ready mix bottles fit the threading of my baby bottle rings so I didn't have to pack extra bottles. Super easy on the plane to just screw on the ring/nipple vs. putting water in a bottle, getting powder in it, mixing it, then storing all the dirties for the rest of the travel. I could just give the empty bottle to the stewardess and stick the ring and nipple back in a ziplock. Plus I'm always worried about disturbing other travelers so having the ready mix formula is a lot faster to assemble if baby is crying.

It does take a couple extra minutes to have the ready mix bottles of formula go thru security scan, but there is no limit to how much baby formula/BM you take thru so it isn't a big deal. Plus, you have to get to the airport so early that it id nice to have another time killer. Jars of baby food have to go thru the scanner too, so if your baby is eating purees you'll have to go thru the scanner anyway.

Thanks for asking this question, we're all flying to california this month and I need to get planning myself. :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"