February 2013 Moms
Options

I feel like I have no choice but to wean

I posted this on facebook but I am hoping someone here has another suggestion because nothing there worked.  DD is biting me so badly when nursing that both side of my bra has dried blood stains in it.  Every attempt to nurse ends with us both in tears to the point where I yelled at DD today and made her cry. I don't know what to do. I have tried ignoring it, I have tried startling her, I have tried scolding her, I have tried taking her off.  She has nursed once today and she bites all the time, beginning, middle, end, it doesn't matter. I really wasnt planning to wean yet, but I am at a loss
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
View Full Size Image

Re: I feel like I have no choice but to wean

• Options
    wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited February 2014
    Ouch.  That sounds awful!  If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do - I would offer the breast at the normal times I have been nursing.  If she bites, I would say no, pull my shirt down and put her down. At the very first bite she is done and doesn't get more. Eventually she'll learn that if she bites, she doesn't get milk.  If she really wants the milk, I would think she would stop.  If she doesn't stop biting, I think it's a good sign that it's time to stop.  I mean, if you go two days without actually nursing because she's trying to bite, your milk is probably going to dry up anyways and she'll be weaned.

You made it a year!  That's awesome!  Some babies are ready to wean earlier than others and perhaps this is a sign that it's her time.

• Options
    tamarar5tamarar5 member
    edited February 2014
    This happened to me a few months ago. Let me just say how sorry I am! It f'ing HURTS!!!! And, I yelled at ds when he bit me too, so don't feel bad.

I'm not sure exactly what helped because I did a bunch of things all at once. First, I think he was doing it because of teething. He had these new chompers and was going to town. I started giving him all kinds off hard, cold things to chew on. Carrots, celery, popcicles, frozen wash cloths, anything!

I also ended feedings the second I felt teeth. Before the bite. I wouldn't go back for a minimum of 10 minutes- partly to illustrate that teeth meant no mums, but also to relax myself. I think I was so tense anticipating the next bite, I wasn't getting a good let down.

Lastly, if you've got open bleeders, you need time to heal! Pump for a day. Your lo is probably getting a touch of blood in the milk and maybe is reacting to that flavor. Let your skin heal so that it's not painful. When you are more relaxed and not in excruciating pain, you'll get a better let down, thus (hopefully) leading to less biting.

Good luck Mama! Hope something works!

Edit: because mobile spelling sucks
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Poppy523Poppy523 member
    edited February 2014
    Ouch.  That sounds awful!  If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do - I would offer the breast at the normal times I have been nursing.  If she bites, I would say no, pull my shirt down and put her down. At the very first bite she is done and doesn't get more. Eventually she'll learn that if she bites, she doesn't get milk.  If she really wants the milk, I would think she would stop.  If she doesn't stop biting, I think it's a good sign that it's time to stop.  I mean, if you go two days without actually nursing because she's trying to bite, your milk is probably going to dry up anyways and she'll be weaned.

You made it a year!  That's awesome!  Some babies are ready to wean earlier than others and perhaps this is a sign that it's her time.
     this is what I was afraid might happen. My supply has taken a small hit since I have been pregnant and she hates waiting for a letdown and then when I think I am going to get bit, like @TamaraR4 said, I have a hard time getting a letdown so it takes even longer.  She lost interest a while ago in nursing, if I didn't offer, she would never ask, but for the past week the biting has been going on nonstop.  I have been pumping to keep my supply up, but I don't respond well to the pump so I am still dwindling.  I have a frozen stash that I was planning to use for her to transition to WCM, but I wasn't emotionally ready for our relationship to be over :(  Not to mention I enjoyed burning calories while I was sitting on my butt...  I think I am going to do what you said and offer like usual and then if she just wants to bite that will be it. She has really upped the amount of solids she is eating over the past two weeks so I guess she doesn't need me as much as she used to :(
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"