Babies on the Brain
Options

x

Re: x

• Options
    What bugs you about them?
    Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    I'm a bit of an over googler lol
    here goes: I read that new chapter may contain too much lead, and that when taken with the fish oil, there is too much vitamin e which can lead to heart defects.
    Nature made does not contain any iodine.
    Vitafol has artificial coloring and dha comes from plants not fish.

Ok after you roll your eyes and say this chick is crazy, any help would be appreciated!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did a lot of searching to find a prenatal I was comfortable with as well. You're not crazy. 

WebMD's prenatal must-haves list had recommended amounts of each vitamin and I used that as a guide. The closest one I found was Nature's Bounty Your Life Multi-Prenatal Vitamins. It had the right kind of vitamin A, DHA, & iron.

I don't think there's any iodine in this one, but like I said, it had the closest amounts of the recommended vitamins. 

Good luck with your search! 

(Also, your doctor can prescribe you prenatals if you like. But they may be expensive, and they might not have everything in them either. But it might be worth checking out)

Anniversary
  • Options
    I take Rainbow Lite Prenatal, its non-gmo food-based multivitamin and is vegan and gluten free :) A little hard to swallow though!

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    I feel the same way! I'm a little psycho... 

I have a spreadsheet... with the range of each vitamin's recommended amounts and then how much the ones I've researched have in each. And then color coded red/green to show which of each supplement they have at least the minimum amount of. Even the best vitamins are either missing at least one thing or don't have enough of something.

I told you I was psycho. I know it. I embrace it.

I think I've settled on Rainbow Lights with Nordic Naturals DHA and Vitamin D.
  • Options
    I take Nordic Naturals DHA with D too, and Now Liquid D Drops :) It's great because so many of the regular pharmacy prenatal brands contain artifical colors and additives.  Don't understand why they put chemicals in vitamins..

We are all a little psycho :) It's the people that don't think they're psycho, that we have to worry about LOL

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! Rainbow light was also one of the ones that came up as higher dosage of lead. I'm sure they're probably all normal amounts of lead but it was on the higher side. Do you ladies take something separate for iodine? @KatieCass11 you just made my day with your spreadsheet! And @holly628, you're right! It's the "sane" ones you have to worry about lol

Check this out for lead comparisons
    https://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm115941.htm
  • Options
    frootyloopsfrootyloops member
    edited February 2014
    Wow.  I'm willing to bet you are in for a fun pregnancy :/
  • Options

I like to go natural when I can but I just take vitafusion gummies from Costco. My gyn said they are fine. But I eat really healthy and that is much much more important than what is in any vitamin. I prefer gummies because I actually like taking them (they taste good) so I never forget. Pills feel like a chore for me. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the gummy suggestions. Seems like a lot of people love them.
  • Options
    Wow, I was under the impression that these boards were to ask questions, share information and help each other out. If you have no interest in my post or think I'm going overboard that's fine but I don't recall asking for an opinion. I asked for advice. And judging from some of the other comments here, I'm not alone in researching this topic. So if you're interested in this post, please feel free to continue swapping info. If not, please keep your comments to yourself. Thanks and good luck and baby wishes to everyone!
  • Options
    annd there we go.

You have gotten some great opinions so far.  Prenatal vitamins are closely regulated by the FDA, so I would consider them all well with safety ranges re lead, vit e, etc.  Unless you are taking additional supplements I would not be terrible y concerned.   If you are taking ANY time of additional herb/ supplement I highly recommend talking to your doctor about them (and not Dr Google). 

Why do you care about iodine levels? do you have a history of being deficient?  If you don't have a history of it, you probably don't need to be supplementing it.  If you eat ionized salt and drink milk you are most likely just fine.  

and actually you DID ask for our opinion in your OP.  
    Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Yes I have received great advice so far and I thank you ladies for your help. I did ask for opinions and thoughts on vitamins. I did not ask for opinions or judgements of me or my questions.
  • Options
    This is a public forum and you have no say in how people respond.  It is best to get a thicker skin if you plan on sticking around these parts.

And TBH,  if you are THIS concerned about your prenatals, I can't imagine how much pregnancy is going to stress you out.  
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    You seem to be the one who is stressed out right now
  • Options
    @Rach983, you are just trying to do your research and have the healthiest pregnancy for you and your baby.  Nothing wrong with that!  Different people respond to situations differently, right?? No reason for some people on this site to judge. They need to take up some meditation, if you ask me LOL

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    rach983 said:

You seem to be the one who is stressed out right now

You think I am stressed? LOL. That's a funny one. Pretty sure that wasnt something you picked up from my post... Because I am not. G andood effort though.

But stick around. See how things go I will be happy to watch. I was being nice but you are your white knight are in your own now.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

rach983 said:

Yes I have received great advice so far and I thank you ladies for your help. I did ask for opinions and thoughts on vitamins. I did not ask for opinions or judgements of me or my questions.

You must realize that your level of researching vitamins is not the norm so people are going to look a bit sideways at it.  You *must* realize that.  Self awareness is a good thing.  Since you *must* realize this, then I'm not sure why you're surprised when people say something about it.

It would be like me dying my hair hot pink and then going outside but yelling at the first person who said "Dude, you're hair's pink."  C'mon, OP.  Seriously.  Laugh a little at yourself.

I take the CVS gummy prenatals.  I have no interest in a vitamin that will make me sick and many with iron do.  If I need an iron supplement later, then I'll cross that bridge then.

Sick or constipated. Neither side effect I desire.

Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Haha yikes! I think I caused my first DD. Oopsie
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Got all the good advice I'm going to get from this post. Time to move on! LOL
  • Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    edited March 2014
    Now no one else can get the same information since you deleted your post.

DD is looked down upon for a reason [-X

Eta. And now I have seen you have asked this question here before and didn't like the answers...
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    lol ... i feel like Steve Urkel .... "did i do THAAAAAT" ??

Oops :)
    (and to think, i didnt even come back and look til now!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"