Parenting

When do you exercise?

I hate it. Seriously hate it. I need to start. And every time I start to build it into my routine something happens and then I have to start all over. It is SOOO frustrating. 

How long do you exercise? I am so out of shape too--which makes me hate it even more. 

If you hated to exercise---how long did you have to do it so you didn't hate it so much?

Ugh. I wish I was one of those people that just enjoyed it. 
My daughter is my hero.

Re: When do you exercise?

• Reliably, only on the weekends.

Sometimes I go running during my work day if I have a break. But we have showers at work, although that requires me remembering to bring all my gym stuff.

After bedtime? LOL, right.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a workout room. DH and I are supposed to alternate workout nights but life got in the way a little bit. I was hoping we could help encourage each other but DH has been working a lot and just not into it.

I start out slow...like a 30 min workout three times a week. I spend 15 minutes on the treadmill. I find workouts and stuff on pinterest.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
  • Finding something you like is key. I get my exercise in on days DD is in preschool. I too am out of shape and can't seem to exercise consistently for more than a few weeks. The only thing I found that I slightly enjoy is power walking. Hoping to switch to running when I'm thinner/fitter :)
  • The problem is DH leaves for work by 7:30/8am and doesn't get home by about 7pm. Reese is under house arrest right now so I can't leave during the day or put her in a gym daycare---and by the time he comes it is dinner time/cleaning time and don't feel like going to a gym. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • DH and I have made an agreement we would schedule times we could both work out.  It changes week to week, but it works for us to know the other has time to exercise.  This week, DH has been going once he gets off work until around 6 p.m., then I go.  

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• flyingsaucerflyingsaucer member
    edited February 2014
    In theory, I get up at 5am and work out at home for 45 ish minutes 2 days per week (tues/Thursday) I usually do a work out video (I would like to get a tread mill so that I can do that). On weekends I go jogging for 45 mins (it has been hard this winter with all of the snow and sub zero temps) . If I can't get out alone, I go walking with the kids or they bring bikes/scooters, etc. Again, this winter has been very cold and snowy, so we haven't gotten out much. I have high hopes for March. Also, it can be really hard for me to get up at 5 (which is why I started the post "in theory")... 2 mornings a week is my goal. Doesn't always happen
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I work out in the morning before DS gets up and before work.  I always used to go after work, then I started the early morning thing a few years ago.  It works the best for me, because I get it out of the way and then am showered and dressed for the day.

I still am not one of those people that "loves" to work out.  At least, not before.  Once I start though I enjoy a challange and i LOVE the way it makes me feel afterwards.  That is my motivation. 

image image
  • Workout DVD are my savior. I workout whule DS is napping usually.

Im personally a big fan of Shaun T's Focus T25 and Jillian Michael's workouts, but theres a ton of stuff out there if you prefer a different style or intensity. Ive also heard that are lots of good workouts available for free on Fitness Blender. I know @BluepointToasted does those a lot...she could probably point you in the right direction with that!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wino2006wino2006 member
    edited February 2014
    I have to get up early before work to do it and then I only manage 2 days during the work week and then on the weekend. I work full time and am in grad school full time with 2 kiddos which makes squeezing in exercise all the more challenging. I find it better to get it over with first thing in the am, if I leave it for later, something always comes up that interferes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I get up at 4:50. It sucks, but it feels good to know I've worked out all day. I feel like I have to push myself for the first week when I get off track, but then I'm just used to it.

In the weekends, I workout during the baby's morning nap. That means DS1 is sometimes home. He actually does it with me. It's super adorable and not too distracting.
  • I've completely stopped since it got cold out. Once it's in the 40's consistently I plan on getting out to at least start walking again. I enjoyed jogging with the stroller in the mornings but I don't think that's going to fly this year.
  • I go after work with my boss. We motivate each other and since she's the boss, she lets us leave early to go work out.
  • I had a crappy third trimester and got completely out of shape. Then it got cold after I had the baby, and now it's still really cold. I really want to start walking (and eventually running) again, but since I started back to work last month all I wanna do after work is hang out with LO.

H got me a FitBit recently. It's helping me try to get in steps every day, with my goal being 7,000 right now. Having something keep track of how much activity I get really is helping me be more active. I can't wait for spring so I can get outside more.

• I do a hot yoga class on Saturday or Sunday mornings but that's really the only consistent thing right now. I try to do abs most nights too, something quick though because by bedtime I'm spent and ready for wine!

When it's warm, I walk daily so I'm dying for spring to hit! 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• I exercised when I was younger then went into total sloth mode in college. Sloth plus beer plus pizza plus cigarettes.

I started forcing myself to workout Before my wedding and it was torture until I joined the gym and started taking classes. I'm a total gym rat but still only love it when in a class.
  • I've been doing 20 min at our work fitness center at lunch every day. Then Tuesday and Thursday nights after work U go to the gym after Work with my sister. I'm thinking of joining a class on Saturdays because I do better in class. Plus I need to lose a lot.

@starearekid i agree with Zumba it is what I started with and I loved it.

• larkin220 said:
    When I go up and downstairs 59 times a day, carry my 3 kids around? Does that count?

YES!!!!!!

• Well my fitness instructor just added me to her fitbit, so now I'll really be motivated to work out more to keep up with her.  

I would also recommend a C25k, if you're looking to run.  and @mrsbadkat, what I did to motivate myself beyond training with the program is to just sign myself up for a race.  It gave me a definite goal to reach, which motivated me to run more often and more effectively. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• The Fitness Blender website is pretty great if you are stuck at home @starearedkid.  They have hundreds of videos, and you can search by length of time, equipment needed, type of exercise.  They have strength, cardio, yoga, pilates, barre workouts, kickboxing, kettlebell, sandbag, everything.  It was my only saving grace being stuck at home since having DS.  I used to be a gym rat who loved classes.  Oh, and its free, so bonus. 
    image image
  • Ardmhs83Ardmhs83 member
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, I don't like exercising either.  You would think that I enjoy it, but that is false.  I just force myself to do it.  One piece of advice I can offer is don't make it an option, make it just as important as going to work.  It is a "must" and you just have to do it.  I've been working out consistently for about 9+ years now and I still don't enjoy it.   

I have a yoga mat and some hand weights that I do abs and arms at work, after lunch.  Then after work, I hit the gym for cardio or I stay after work and run the track when it is nice outside.  Or I go home and get on my treadmill.  I do 30 minutes of cardio and about 20 minutes of weight training. 

Edited because I left some answers to your question out...  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I am one of those people who NEEDS to exercise, so I've always done it. Most of my workouts are in the evenings and I put DD in the gym daycare (which she loves.) I agree that finding something you like to do is so important.  I've always been into running and lifting weights (which I still do) but recently got into Zumba and kickboxing too. It is so much fun that I don't want to miss it! Plus with group fitness, if you go regularly you get to know people, and they start to notice if you don't show up. :o)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I exercised for about 30 minutes today! Go me! My mom came over to watch DD for about an hour so I took advantage of this and exercised and showered. The problem I have is I have no energy in the early morning or after DH comes home from work. I need to exercise mid morning.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • I agree that Couch to 5K is a GREAT way to start jogging/running!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"