Working Moms

job application help

Long story short, last summer I sort of cold called a potential employer.  I knew a new program was in the works so I emailed her to see what the plans were for a program director position.  To my surprise she wanted to meet. I go meet her and another team member... it went great! We emailed back and forth a few times, they told me I would be a great fit, timing could be tricky, but it will work blah blah blah. In the meantime I turned down another job offer (still kicking myself!) Two months later, she is no longer answering my emails (I sent 2 each a few weeks apart). Fast forward to last week, the exact position is now posted?! I applied formally through the company website, but now i'm wondering if I should send the hiring manager another email. I don't want to come off as desperate, but I'm also so confused as to how we went from you are a perfect fit to a complete brush off... 

So, what do you ladies think? Should i just see what happens applying through normal channels or take a chance and email her again? If I email, what should I say? "Hey! remember me? you all but promised me the job! what happened?" ha, I kid. sort of :)

Sorry so long, thanks for any advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: job application help

• Is the person you were communicating with before still in charge of hiring for the position? 

You could send a follow up email to the contact person you had, revisiting your qualifications, letting her know that you formally applied for the position via the online application and that you are looking forward to continued conversations with her about the position.

Good Luck

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Long story short, last summer I sort of cold called a potential employer.  I knew a new program was in the works so I emailed her to see what the plans were for a program director position.  To my surprise she wanted to meet. I go meet her and another team member... it went great! We emailed back and forth a few times, they told me I would be a great fit, timing could be tricky, but it will work blah blah blah. In the meantime I turned down another job offer (still kicking myself!) Two months later, she is no longer answering my emails (I sent 2 each a few weeks apart). Fast forward to last week, the exact position is now posted?! I applied formally through the company website, but now i'm wondering if I should send the hiring manager another email. I don't want to come off as desperate, but I'm also so confused as to how we went from you are a perfect fit to a complete brush off... 

So, what do you ladies think? Should i just see what happens applying through normal channels or take a chance and email her again? If I email, what should I say? "Hey! remember me? you all but promised me the job! what happened?" ha, I kid. sort of :)

Sorry so long, thanks for any advice!

are you a revenge fan or is your name really emily thorne!? :)

I agree with PP....send another email to both people you met with just saying you formally applied online, look forward to continuing conversations...ask if there is anyone else you should be reaching out to/meeting with, etc. Thats very annoying! But i feel like it happens all the time...

• Loading the player...
  • Emily.ThorneEmily.Thorne member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, they are both still there. I'm just disappointed that they didn't reach out to me first, but I guess why would they?

And no, my name is not Emily Thorne :) I just wasn't very creative with my username

• I don't think it's weird that the position was posted. This is probably corporate policy that they have to post all positions for certain length of time. I would email again and let them know you formally applied and are still extremely interested in the position.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would apply the formal way and then shoot that person a heads up email that you have formally applied and that you are stil very interested in the position.  Maybe there was some sort of company policy on how they have to go about the hiring?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • "Thanks for the replies. Yes, they are both still there. I'm just disappointed that they didn't reach out to me first, but I guess why would they?

And no, my name is not Emily Thorne :) I just wasn't very creative with my username"

Well obviously not... your real name is Amanda Clarke ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • "Thanks for the replies. Yes, they are both still there. I'm just disappointed that they didn't reach out to me first, but I guess why would they?

And no, my name is not Emily Thorne :) I just wasn't very creative with my username"

Well obviously not... your real name is Amanda Clarke ;)
    ha this made me laugh! altho I am getting annoyed with revenge and now just want them to wrap it up already---too many lame side stories!
  • Send an email.  Just as an FYI she may have gotten her hand slapped by the recruiter for talking to you.  We are not even allowed to answer thank you notes expect to say Thanks again for meeting with me please keep in touch with the recruiter.  I had one candadiate stalk me because I would not say what he did wrong in the interview to not get the job.  I felt rude for not talking to him but was told by HR no way could set up for lawsuite if I say the wrong thing ugh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"