May 2014 Moms

Wohoo! I just got permission to do the 1 hour...

IBackBevoIBackBevo member
edited February 2014 in May 2014 Moms
...and not be fasting.  Is it better to eat a high protein breakfast in the morning before the one hour?  Or does it even matter?

Edit: To clarify, I was originally supposed to do the 2 hour and be fasting, but I have to drive in from an hour away and have been feeling sick so they are letting me do the 1 hour and not be fasting.
IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Wohoo! I just got permission to do the 1 hour...

• HappypostHappypost member
    edited February 2014
    I guess I didn't know that fasting was ever required for a 1 hour. I thought it was just for a 3 hr. I ate whole wheat cereal and oj before mine. Results were fine. Good luck :)
  • I had to fast for the one hour. You're lucky you don't have to. My stomach was gargling like crazy and I was starving by the time I got out of there. Not bad though.
    I don't think it matters what you eat. If you have GD there going to see it whether you eat a good meal or not and if you don't you should process whatever you eat just fine so it won't effect it. Not sure, but that's my theory.
  • Loading the player...
  • Happypost said:
    I guess I didn't know that fasting was ever required for a 1 hour. I thought it was just for a 3 hr. I ate whole wheat cereal and oj before mine. Results were fine. Good luck :)
    It isn't for the one hour, but you have to fast for the two hour. My OB's office just makes everyone do a "two hour" but I complained about feeling sick in the morning and the fact I have to make a 1 hour drive so they are letting me do the non-fasting 1 hour.

• I see. It's crazy how different the rules are from OB to OB! A little tip though... Don't drive yourself to the test if possible. I was so super dizzy after mine and driving that far could be very dangerous. Crossed fingers for good results :)
  • @Happypost - Unfortunately, I don't have a choice, but I felt fine after my test with DS1.

• I've heard protein is a good idea. My instructions were just not to eat loads of sugar before. I had Kix cereal early in the morning and then a salad for lunch (my test was @ 1:00pm) and I was just fine. I think you'll be fine as long as you're not eating ice cream and candy right before. Good luck!!! Fx
  • My doctor never requires fasting for the 1-hr. In fact, I've heard of more people failing it that way.

I ate a high-fiber, high-protein breakfast this morning, 2 hrs before my test. Guess we'll see in a few hours how that worked out for me.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I've heard protein is a good idea. My instructions were just not to eat loads of sugar before. I had Kix cereal early in the morning and then a salad for lunch (my test was @ 1:00pm) and I was just fine. I think you'll be fine as long as you're not eating ice cream and candy right before. Good luck!!! Fx
    That is what they told me.  I think I might eat an egg and toast or a breakfast egg and cheese taco or something.

• I made a big thing of scrambled eggs, ham, and cheese. And then ate it up until the hour before my appointment. Once it was the hour before I drank the drink within 10 mins (that's what the bottle said to do) you can only drink water after that. They are supposed to draw your blood at exactly one hour after you finish the test. I passed with an 83. I believe if you have 140 or below you pass.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I made a big thing of scrambled eggs, ham, and cheese. And then ate it up until the hour before my appointment. Once it was the hour before I drank the drink within 10 mins (that's what the bottle said to do) you can only drink water after that. They are supposed to draw your blood at exactly one hour after you finish the test. I passed with an 83. I believe if you have 140 or below you pass.

Lucky you. They made me drink it within 5 mins. I had a hard time downing it that fast.
  • I failed my 1hour test now I have to do the 3 hour :( anyone fail the 1 hour test and passed the 3 hour?

• I failed my 1hour test now I have to do the 3 hour :( anyone fail the 1 hour test and passed the 3 hour?
    This isn't applicable to me because I take the one hour tomorrow, but I think that it is quite common to fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour.  This is the reason my office went to a 2 hour, but they are making an exception for me.

• Mine is tomorrow too - @ 8:15 am and I was told not to eat anything past midnight...and its the 1 hour test. I'm going to be so annoyed if I fail this thing. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited February 2014
    I had steak and eggs for breakfast before mine! Probably overkill but I wanted to be sure lol. Egg and whole wheat toast or better just eggs or some other kind of protein would be best. Protein slows down glucose absorption. That's why for the GD diet you must always always always pair your carbs with protein. 

ETA: cereal is sugar btw... carbs = sugar. >.<

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not sure how much difference it makes but I have eaten eggs for breakfast both times and passed:). Could just be I was going to pass regardless but I will be eating eggs again for breakfast when I take mine next week! My midwife said just don't eat pancakes smothered in syrup right before the test.
  • My one hour wasn't until 4pm. I was told to eat normal for the day; just don't down a bag of jelly beans before coming in. Last thing I had was a bowl of honey nut Cheerios with almond milk two hours before the the drink. Passed with 93. I honestly don't think it matters unless you consume large amounts of sugar right before taking the drink.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage

• I did high protein (eggs and bacon) with DS and passed. No clue if that's why but that was what I had been told from others to do. We'll see how this one turns out since it was less than a stellar day diet wise.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• yogasailmommayogasailmomma member
    edited February 2014
    Just stay away from carbs. I ate 2 eggs and drank some oj. High protein and no carbs and you should be good!
  • Eat whatever you want as long as it isn't too sugary.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• ETA: cereal is sugar btw... carbs = sugar.

Not quite. Sugar is a carb. Not all carbs are sugars.

OP, it really doesn't matter. I was told to eat normally just not crazy sugary. One meal isn't going to make or break your test.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Did anyone who failed the hour test do anything eating wise to get ready for the 3 hour test? I'm suppose to fast well not anything to eat or drink after midnight. The hour test I could eat 1-2 hours up to my hour test I just ate peanut butter sandwich and chips and only ONE Oreo lol I wonder if that damn Oreo failed me! LOL
  • My dr. just said to avoid carbs. She mentioned eggs and bacon I believe. I'll probably just have a couple eggs. Glad you got the ok for the 1 hr.

@MelissaShimkus I failed the 1 hr with my DD and passed the 3 hr no problem. I think it's pretty common as PP mentioned. I can't remember how I ate for the 3 hr...?! Sorry.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"