Pregnant after a Loss
Options

WWPGALD? U/S Scheduling Question

A quick sum up to help you help me.  I've had 3 losses.  One was a chemical, and the other two both took place after u/s (with h/b) in the 7th week.  Both babies stopped developing in the 8th week.

Which leads me to my anxiety.  I have an appointment for an u/s this Saturday, which would be 6 wks 4 days.  I am stressing!  Before I booked it I was feeling really good about things, but now my anxiety is maxed.  The closer I get to 8 weeks... the more anxious I am becoming.  Adding to this, my next OB appt isn't until the 10th of March because he's away, so if I have my u/s on the 1st and they don't tell me anything, I know I'll be a mess for 9 days.  

What would other loss mama's do?  I'm intentionally not doing betas this time to try and keep the anxiety down.  Would it be better to hold off on the ultrasound for a week?  Or should I go for it to ease my mind that everything is ok?  

My worry is, that even if I have a good scan, I will still worry until my loss milestone is passed.  

Plus, theres a small part of me that worries the losses were caused by the U/S.  I know this is not likely, but it's hard to kick that worry given my history.  

I guess I'm hoping someone was in a similar position, and can tell me what helped ease their mind.  I'm in this strange pocket at the moment where things are peaceful and we have hope, and I just don't want to give that up yet :(  

Me: Endometriosis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Estrogen Dominance, Irregular Cycles
DH:  100% Abnormal Sperm Morphology
 BFP #1 (Surprise!)  "Monkey"- 09/16/2006. DS born 06/01/2007.   
BFP #2  "Quinn" EDD 06/21/13- MMC @ 8 weeks - Disc. 12/12/12 @ 13w0d 
BFP #3  "Luna" EDD 03/31/14- MC 07/29/13 @ 5 w0d 
BFP #4  "Star" EDD 07/06/14- MC 11/28/13 @ 8 weeks
BFP #5 "Baby J"- 02/07/14. DS born 10/29/2014 My Rainbow!
~Everyone Welcome~

Re: WWPGALD? U/S Scheduling Question

• Options
    I'm in a slightly different situation, but I understand where you're coming from. My last pregnancy ended up being a blighted ovum, and I didn't find out until 9 weeks. I wished that I had known sooner. This time my dr had me come in at 6 weeks and I was so relieved to just find out either way. Personally, I'd go earlier, because I think it will ease your mind a little. I know your losses have been later, but peace of mind and less waiting time might be helpful for you. FX that your appt goes well!!

Ava's Story
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 10/18/13  Blighted ovum 11/25/13

BFP #3 1/31/14 EDD 10/18/14 -- It's a GIRL!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I think it's possible to push it later.  I really wish I hadn't had a missed m/c before, because that's the only thing making me reluctant to wait right until 9-10 weeks!  

I might have to think about that though...

Me: Endometriosis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Estrogen Dominance, Irregular Cycles
    ~Everyone Welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Probably no matter what you will have anxiety until your loss milestone. I also had a MMC discovered at 9 weeks. With this pregnancy I had a u/s at 6 and 7 weeks. I wanted to know earlier if something was going to happen instead of waiting. Everything was fine with baby at those two but I didn't feel relieved until after 9 weeks. Then I really felt relieved after a good 12 week u/s. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter what you will be anxious until the milestone, so if it was me, I'd still go with the earlier scan.
    THIS. I had 3 ultrasounds 3 weeks in a row this time (7.5, 8.5, and 10.5 weeks) and was still a hot mess in between. I felt a bit of relief each time, but man. Anxiety, too. There's really no easy answer. :-/ 

A

2010: son born 9/1 

2013: 2 miscarriages + d&cs, both at 10 weeks: April & July

2014: son #2 born 6/29

2016: Baby girl stillborn at 21w6d 4/29 and baby boy stillborn at 20w 3d 11/16

• Options
    I was in a similar position...just with a cross-country move thrown in between my early u/s and my 'is everything still going well?' u/s.

No matter what you do, you'll be a hot mess of worry until you get past your loss milestones. No way around that.  Pretty sure I exhaled for the first time in at least a month when they found the hb again at 10w6d.

Ultimately you need to decide what will drive you less crazy...waiting until the 9th week (since you said development stopped in the 8th week for your losses), or seeing what's going on in there now.  Will your doc do another scan to ease your mind around 9 weeks?  Does your OB insist that you have an early scan (mine in CA insisted one be done by 7w)?  Are the techs at your hospital allowed to tell you what they see? Before you make a decision, find out the answers to those questions. 

As sort of a side note: If you do go in at 6+4, don't be counting on a hb.  It is probable at that point (ok, more than likely), but it isn't a guarantee.  They should be able to tell you what baby is measuring though and if it is a uterine pregnancy.  

When will you be past your loss milestones?  I'll hold my breath with you as I know how nerve wrecking it is.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    This question is a hard one. I totally understand you. I think if I were in the same situation I would avoid the ultrasound. It is not a necessary one. And like another pp said, at this early stage you can't count always on find a hb (which doesn't mean it won't be one later). That is only my opinion. You need to do what you feel more comfortable with. Stress and anxiety is not good for anyone :(

Good luck whenever you do your ultrasound. I hope you have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy this time :)

Mummy to 2 wonderful children
    Noah (2011) & Lily (2014)
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Such a tough one because I really do keep changing my mind.

I've decided to go and have a beta draw today (eek!) and if the numbers are questionable like they were in previous pregnancies, them i will go to the u/s on Saturday. If the numbers look like they are in the normal range, then I will try and push the u/s back to late next week when there should definitely be a h/b. I reserve the right to push that one back even further again if needed :P

I agree though, that I'll worry regardless of what I do. It's just rough.

~Everyone Welcome~

• Options
    It is tough. I had a Mmc last feb at 11 1/2 weeks. I went in for some spotting. Had exam and US all was good. A week later at my first exam. No heartbeat. I was in shock and hubby was not there since we thought all was ok.

This time I was nervous the entire first trimester. I finally started to relax during 2 nd tri.

As for the US I would not think that would cause the Mmc. Most of the time they are from a chromosomal abnormality.

I never did betas the first time. This time my dr said he doesn't like to do them because most women have anxiety over them. But when he remembered I was AMA he decided to do them three times and that was it.

I was fine not doing them. Didn't want the extra stress.

I personally would want the US early just to make sure all is going ok now. That however is personal choice.

Good luck. You are not alone.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Big ((hugs)). Sounds like you have a good plan.
    Me: 36 yo, TTC #1 since Feb. 2012
    BFP #1, 3/12, EDD 11/9/12, MMC 3/27/12, D&C 4/10/12

BFP #2: 11/16/12, EDD 7/25/13, MMC 12/5/12, D&C 12/6/12, Complete molar pregnancy confirmed 2/9/13, benched for 6 months until  August 2013

IUI #1, 8/16/13 Femara + Menopur, 3 mature follicles, BFN
    IUI #2 (back-to-back, 9/12/13 and 9/13/13) Femara + Menopur, four mature follicles, BFFN
    IUI #3, 10/8/13 Femara + Menopur, six mature follicles, BFN

BFP #3, 12/9/2013, while on treatment break, EDD: 8/22/2014  Please stick and grow, LO!

Additional Dx: hypothyroidism, TgAb positive & anti-TPO positive, POR/DOR (2/2013), and suspected endometriosis

******All AL always welcome******

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"