Re: UO

• Options

Oh and also, he has a sword. He's totally dangerous. :P

This is hilarious
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Since I'm laying low I'll let Benjamin take this one:

(Pencil blade things, stick sword, giant tortilla chip gun.)

Emily it TOTALLY stealing the show in the first pic.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Meow84 said:
    @barefoot84 That is an interesting article. I completely agree that fantasy/imaginative play is normal and part of development. I think that as humans, we have a primitive part of us that can be aggressive and violent--but we have evolved enough where that should be controlled. Not to sound cliche and corny, but have we not learned that violence isn't the answer? It seems very caveman-esque to believe that kids should be allowed to act out their aggressions toward one another in order to develop social skills and awareness. I would argue that we should be doing the opposite in teaching kids to not fall back on that aggressive impulse and instead develop some empathy and conflict resolution skills. Those can also be expressed and worked out via imaginative play. That article kind of had a "boys will be boys" tone that I don't necessarily agree with.
    As you said, we have a primitive part of us that can be violent and aggressive, and I dream of the day that everyone can learn to control that part of us. However, I think to learn to control it, we need to acknowledge it exists and learn to control/regulate it at a young age by play.

I wish I could write more, but Tumaini is trying to climb all over me...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    Meow84 said:
    @barefoot84 That is an interesting article. I completely agree that fantasy/imaginative play is normal and part of development. I think that as humans, we have a primitive part of us that can be aggressive and violent--but we have evolved enough where that should be controlled. Not to sound cliche and corny, but have we not learned that violence isn't the answer? It seems very caveman-esque to believe that kids should be allowed to act out their aggressions toward one another in order to develop social skills and awareness. I would argue that we should be doing the opposite in teaching kids to not fall back on that aggressive impulse and instead develop some empathy and conflict resolution skills. Those can also be expressed and worked out via imaginative play. That article kind of had a "boys will be boys" tone that I don't necessarily agree with.
    I agree. I really dislike the "boys will be boys" mentality. I know that gunplay will likely be part of my sons' play, just as it was part of my sisters' and my play when we were little, but I don't need to literally put the guns in their hands and encourage it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have swords, daggers, and maces on our walls. So she'll know about those. I think we have a bow and arrow somewhere. We'll have toy guns here. I plAn on having water gun fights and stuff like that. I will also teach the dangers if real guns. I don't know any one with them but that's not to say people I know don't have them. But she's too young to have squirt guns and to have that talk right now. Maybe next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"