December 2013 Moms

Rocking and Rolling...in the crib...all night long

Hey there - 
So LO has learned how to roll pretty consistently from back to tummy but not the other way around. For the last week, she basically spends the entire second half of the night trying to roll over OR rolling over and freaking out. I'm worried that she's not getting any sleep (and neither am I). The pediatrician said to turn off the monitor since she's just across the hall and go in only if she's really crying. STMs - do you have any experience or guidance here? Really hoping this is a short lived phase. I worry about her sleeping on her stomach but I'm not sure there's not much I can do about it at this point. She's just over 3 months old.

Re: Rocking and Rolling...in the crib...all night long

• Once DS started rolling back to tummy he became a stomach sleeper.  I didn't stop him because he was doing it himself.  Since it's a new skill that may be part of the reason that there is sleep interruption.  It should get better as she gets more comfortable with it. 
    This. DD1 did this when she was about 4 months, and the pedi told us she needed to be able to figure out how to get comfortable on her own. It only took a few nights of her freaking out, and then she'd get comfy on her tummy and go to sleep, or just NOT roll over in the first place.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have any advice but now I feel like Baby Boots is an underachiever, he's over 3 months old and he's still not even close to rolling over.
    :-/
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • Does LO roll from tummy to back? If so, that may factor in- if she hates it she can rollover, I am thinking.
  • Once DS started rolling back to tummy he became a stomach sleeper.  I didn't stop him because he was doing it himself.  Since it's a new skill that may be part of the reason that there is sleep interruption.  It should get better as she gets more comfortable with it. 

What do you mean by freaking out though?  I'm all about leaving a content baby alone if there is no crying but depending on what freaking out means, I would probably be going in and helping her out.
    Hey - when I say freaking out usually it's that she's rolled on to her tummy, I've given her a couple minutes to see if she settles into it, and she's not having it - if she's doing more than a whiney cry I definitely go in and turn her over...and then the cycle begins again :-/ I'm thinking once she gets better at tummy to back some of these issues will be resolved, but right now it's like a little bowling pin rolling around all night.
  • I don't have any advice but now I feel like Baby Boots is an underachiever, he's over 3 months old and he's still not even close to rolling over.

This is me. I've been waiting and waiting for him to do it. I even try to show him how (I may be slightly crazy). But still nothing.

• MissyC979MissyC979 member
    edited February 2014
    kbart82 said:

I don't have any advice but now I feel like Baby Boots is an underachiever, he's over 3 months old and he's still not even close to rolling over.

This is me. I've been waiting and waiting for him to do it. I even try to show him how (I may be slightly crazy). But still nothing.

It's still soon for rolling, so don't stress. Both boys rolled belly to back early, but DS1 didn't roll back to belly until almost five months and he may have even been on the early side. They pick and choose which skills to focus on. Try not to worry about thoI'm really starting to think I may be depressed. I'm scared. se things or it will be a LONG first year.

ETA: OP, I'd give her a couple nights to get used to this new skill. Also, I'd give lots of extra tummy time so she can practice rolling to her back so she won't get stuck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Same for us! 3 months & no rolling in sight.
  • yty0205 said:

Expect a lot of this type of behavior in the coming months! They like to practice their new found skills. I remember with DS1, when he figured out how sit up by himself, he would do it in the middle of the night, but then would get stuck because he didn't know how to lay back down. I would have to go in and lay him down. ( it was pretty funny/sad though because he'd fall back asleep sitting up!)

Anyway - hopefully this will be a short phase for you and she'll stop freaking out soon so you both can get some sleep.

I'm cracking up at the image in my head of LO sitting up sleeping in the crib!
    It was pretty pitiful! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Expect a lot of this type of behavior in the coming months! They like to practice their new found skills. I remember with DS1, when he figured out how sit up by himself, he would do it in the middle of the night, but then would get stuck because he didn't know how to lay back down. I would have to go in and lay him down. ( it was pretty funny/sad though because he'd fall back asleep sitting up!)

Anyway - hopefully this will be a short phase for you and she'll stop freaking out soon so you both can get some sleep.

As much as I dread getting up in the middle of the night, this would be totally worth it and a picture or two would ensue.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"