Preemies

PICC LINE

Our baby boy was born Monday at 32w 5d.  He is doing well considering but has to be on antibiotics, IVs etc.  He now needs a PICC Line.  Was just wondering, does anyone have any advice for us?  Anything you think we shouls know?  Any info you can share is appreciated. 

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

Re: PICC LINE

• PICC lines are incredibly, incredibly common for preemies -- and not a bad thing. While it's scary watching what needs to be done to get them inserted properly, once they are in, they can stay there for much longer than the standard IV (which needs to be changed every few days). In the end, it means fewer sticks for your LO. In the long run, it's a good thing. :)

Hang in there!
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • PICC lines are very common and given that he is probably over 3lbs (?) should be relatively smooth to get in.  Many hospitals will not let you kangaroo until the PICC line is removed, but our did given the length of time that our DD had hers.  Its something to ask about.  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • No advice on the PICC line, but congrats on your baby!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Thank you everyone!  DH was with him for his initial ivs and blood draws and they had a horrible time getting everything in. DH was very stressed at it all.  We are relieved that with the PICC line he won't get poked as much and there will be less risk of infection. We trust our NICU staff, it is just a bit unnerving thinking of something going to his heart :/    We have not been able to hold him because of his arterial line but they think that might come out today.  We asked when discussing PICC line if we will be able to kangaroo and luckily they said yes :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• I recall they surprised us with the PICC line, sort of. We were told the day before that his central line would be coming out soon due to suspicion of poor placement. The next morning when we got there, they'd already changed to the PICC. I'm so glad I didn't witness it, but I felt guilty that I wasn't there for him. They told me it was probably better off I didn't watch, and since they have to do it in a sterile environment, they typically ask the parents to step out anyways.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• My LO had a PICC line as well. She was on TPN for awhile through it. We, too, we're allowed to kangaroo with it in, just had to be careful. Good luck, and congrats :)
  • We never did the PICC but had the umbilical lines.. Which can only be done at birth but it less invasive. We had that a week and they mentioned possible PICC lines if we ever needed constant IVs.. So far so good. But these babies get poked so much anything that let's that up is good!
  • Congrats on the birth of your LO! DS had a PICC line, and while it can be scary and overwhelming, the big thing to remember is just to take it one day (or hour, or minute) at a time. The resources available for babies are incredible and while 32 weeks certainly isn't ideal, the "later" preemies tend to do really well!! GL and keep us posted!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• andthatmakes4andthatmakes4 member
    edited March 2014
    My son was also 32 w 5 days. He constantly pulled out his IVs so he was getting poked sometimes twice a day or more for them. When they mentioned the PICC line, it was definitely scary but ended up being such a relief. Since it kept him from getting all of those IVs. Congrats on your LO and hopefully your NICU stay will not be too long.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • My son was born at 32w2d and had a picc line for a couple weeks. It'll be fine! It never interfered with kangaroo care or anything for us. Good luck!

• Thank you everyone, you all were right.  The PICC line was a great thing.  They put it in his arm and they got it on the first go.  He is much happier having that and none of the other things in his arm/head.  He is doing much better and even got to lose his other IVs and infusion pump and was moved to a crib today :)

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"