Any ideas on waking every hour after 1am? — The Bump
Attachment Parenting

Any ideas on waking every hour after 1am?

CaitlinYoderCaitlinYoder
10 Comments 5 Love Its First Anniversary
edited February 2014 in Attachment Parenting
My LO 5 1/2 mo seems to sleep great from 7:30-12 or 1 then he is up every hour. Could this be gas? (He usually has to toot before he can sleep again) Or just wanting to be awake? Is there anything I can do to help him sleep? We bed share and have a side car crib. One of my thoughts is most nights he starts in the side car then moves to next to me after his first wake up.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Any ideas on waking every hour after 1am?

• At 5 months, my son's night sleep went riiiiight down the toilet. (his naps tanked at 4 months).  I attribute it to that four month wakeful period.  A combination of major developments (like sitting, movement, etc.) and being aware of the world around him.

The good news is - both naps and night sleep gradually increased back to normal for us.  (For him that meant only 1 night wake).

The bad news is - it took a while to get there.  His 1 hour wakeup extended to every 2 hours, then every 3 hours, etc.  I think it was a good 6 weeks (maybe longer?) until he was back to normal.

The worse news is - we had a lot of regressions back to frequent wakings when he started teething, and getting sick in the fall/winter.  (But these also resolved themselves)

As far as what to do to help him sleep, it's probably things you're already doing.  Keep the lights down/off, no real "interaction" (it's not playtime), and whatever things you normally do to get him to sleep (rub back, pat bottom, nurse, etc.)
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My only advice is power through it. It won't last forever! Bedsharing and nursing back to sleep were the only things I did, and he eventually stopped waking constantly :)

• Loading the player...
  • There is also a 6 month growth spurt so he could be hungry. Also prime teething age...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards