July 2013 Moms
Options

Aahhhhhh life changing decisions are hard!

My parents facetimed us tonight to offer DH a job. It would be a good amount more than he is making now, but it would require moving back to Maryland where the cost of living is a lot higher. I'm so torn as we would be leaving all the wonderful friends we have made here over the last 3+ years and moving is always hard. DH and I are so torn... We would be closer to his parents and my extended family (could be a good/bad thing) but I really love the community of people we are with now. This position would definitely have potential to grow and the job DH is in now is definitely not good long term but he is able to work on his MBA for free. So many pros and cons to both sides!!! What do you all think? Sorry to write a novel but it's just a lot to process and I can't really talk about it with anyone here yet!

Re: Aahhhhhh life changing decisions are hard!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH is only about 9 credits in on a 40ish credit program so it could be another year or so depending on how quickly he does it. This job is in some ways his dream job and the opportunity won't be around again for awhile most likely. It's a really hard decision. :( I'm trying to calculate how much of a raise it would actually be as I wouldn't be working most likely and our rent would most likely triple.

We will definitely be making pros and cons lists!

I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. :(( too much to think about!
  • Options

I think Karen0477's idea is a really good one. Getting his MBA for free is a huge factor. Definitely price it out with how much it would cost where you are going. 

Personally, I'd probably stay until the MBA is finished. But I also understand the lure of home and a bigger paycheck :/ Tough decisions!
    Yup, all of this. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    Wow, that's tough.  I personally would move closer to family.  Wouldn't you be closer to your parents too since they offered him the job or no? 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    @Carrie3102 yeah we would be very close to my parents and his would be an hour away as opposed to the 3-4 hours they are now. I know family is a big deal, but it is also very hard thinking about having to start over and make all new friends. We have amazing friends here and that makes this decision so much harder.
  • Options
    I'd take the job. If it is his dream job. More money means he could potentially go back to school later. Also, being close to family could really be beneficial in normal life or in cases if emergency.
  • Options
    I agree with Chunky on this one (and on most things) but she's right.  Friends aren't part of major life decisions.  My best friend moved away 2 hrs south even though we were closer than we'd been in years.  I was sad, but I know she did it for her family and who am I to judge, they needed to do what they needed to do, and so do you.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Good luck.
  • Options
    stephyfaithstephyfaith member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for your thoughtful advice ladies. I think part of my fear in the friends department comes with the fact that I lived there for two years before I moved where I am now and it was a really hard time. I didn't have a lot of friends and one of my closest ones moved down to where we are now. So even though I know the area well and have family there, I'm afraid of being stuck at home with the baby with zero friends. I have moved my entire life and have really enjoyed digging roots and making this place home. Plus family is only 3-4 hours away so we still see them every once in awhile. I know we need to make the decision that is best for our family and think longterm as well, but yeah our heads are spinning right now trying to figure out what to do.

If only I could make a clicky poll and have you all decide for me. ;)

Eta: posted before I was done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"