December 2013 Moms
Options

Damn you witching hour! When the f does this end?!!? (Long, sorry)

First of all, I don't post here often, but I do read all the posts during my LO's early morning feeding. It helps so much to know that other people are going through the exact same things as I am! So, I am thankful for all of you and I wish I contributed more.... I'm curious about your baby's witching hour nightmares. I posted a few weeks about about my daughter screaming bloody murder like something is hurting her and NOTHING consoled her. Well, unfortunately this has continued. It's not every night- about 2-3 times a week it happens. She's super fussy between her second to last and last bottle of the night no matter what, and she fights that last nap! I took her to the pediatrician to make sure there was nothing wrong internally. She even had an X-ray on her belly... Nothing wrong there. She's on Zantac for reflux and is currently on similac sensitive and I add gas drops to each bottle. I tried soy formula and that was a mistake! She was even fussy during the day on that and she's normally perfectly fine until after 6pm. We have tried gripe water and colic calm; sometimes they work, sometimes not. I've just accepted the fact that this is how our evenings will be for now. But it sucks because it's like we can't go anywhere in the evenings now in case she freaks out. Where is the damn light at the end of this damn tunnel? She's 11 weeks now. Who else is going through this, or has gone through it, and when does it end? TIA.

Re: Damn you witching hour! When the f does this end?!!? (Long, sorry)

• Options
    *raises hand*
    Also going through it. LO is currently crying while being rocked in DHs arms. It is so exhausting and frustrating that we can't take him anywhere or have people over in the evenings. The only thing that saves is from going crazy is that once he does finally fall asleep he usually sleeps well over night. Can't wait for this phase to end.
  • Options
    Have you tried giving her a bath? DS1 was colicky and if nothing else worked and he was inconsolable, we'd give him a bath and he'd calm down most of the time. It really effing sucks. Sorry you're going through that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you put her to bed after the 2nd to last bottle?  We had to do that with DS1.  Or offer the last bottle sooner and get her to bed sooner.  DS3 can never go more than an hour between his last two feeds, no use fighting it.
  • Options
    *raises hand* with ds1. He had the witching hour until 6 months. Without fail, every night at 545 he started screaming. Luckily for you, when I told the pedi how long it lasted for she said it is rare that it goes to 6 months. Hang in there, I know how tough this can be! There was not much we ever found to help, but we always held and rocked him through it. Hope it comes to an end for you soon!!
  • Options
    DS had the witching hour deal, bad. Once he started solids, he was a whole new child. Like PP said, baths helped with us too.
  • Options
    n8swife said:
    Have you tried giving her a bath? DS1 was colicky and if nothing else worked and he was inconsolable, we'd give him a bath and he'd calm down most of the time. It really effing sucks. Sorry you're going through that.

Actually, tonight I put her in the bath during her episode. She gets super sweaty when she's so upset. She calmed down for about 30 seconds then started right back up. But when I took her out and wrapped her in the towel she finally calmed down and I was able to rock her to sleep. Definitely trying that next time... Probably just a fluke though
  • Options
    We went through so much lotion with DS1 bc baths were the only thing that calmed him... Some days he got them twice a day!
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• Options
    DS1 was like this and even with colic calm, gas drops, reflux meds, warm compresses on his belly and the five S method he still had a witching hour from 5-7pm. It did improve a bit once he was on Alimentum and I had cut soy and dairy completely from my diet. I think the witching hour stopped by 4-5 months of age.
  • Options
    I was going to add-- next week we're flying to visit my family. It's a 3 1/2 hour flight. On the way home the flight is right during her freak out time period. I'm terrified! Everyone on the plane will just have to fuck off. Ha! But seriously, I wish it was safe to tranquilize the baby for this purpose.
  • Options
    *raises both hands* He gets really cranky between 6-10 the last three weeks have been a nightmare.
    He won't sleep and he won't BF, I've finally broke down and have been giving him bottles and FF. He usually fights it but then gives in.
  • Options
    vorse said:

I was going to add-- next week we're flying to visit my family. It's a 3 1/2 hour flight. On the way home the flight is right during her freak out time period. I'm terrified! Everyone on the plane will just have to fuck off. Ha! But seriously, I wish it was safe to tranquilize the baby for this purpose.

We are flying during witching hour at the end of March. I am so nervous! It is only a two hour flight and I am praying that he doesn't scream through the whole thing.
  • Options
    His witching hour has gotten better. I really think it's related to him being tired. I think he wants to go to bed before 7, but we just can't seem to make that happen with dinner and the other things going on at that time. SO he ends up screaming a little sometimes and as I calm him down, he gets sleepy. It stinks but we just can't get him in bed any earlier at this point. Once we start his bath and final bottle, he gets better.

• Options
    Starting at 9.5-10 weeks j started a witching hour. I turn on running water noise, I also swaddle. A bath helps too. I'm learning if he gets himself too worked up he just doesn't fall asleep. Try to catch LO before it starts and lay down for bed then. Like pp said, baths help too
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options
    Have you tried putting LO to bed before the witching hours begin? Ds1 would cry for hours starting around 6 going until 9. So one day I put him to bed at 5:30 and that cured it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"