September 2013 Moms
Options

Meat purée question

We're starting solids soon and I want to make her chicken to start but I'm not 100% sure what I should buy for meat. I originally thought a couple pounds of chicken breasts. Also would baking them do the trick or perhaps crock pot might be better?

Would you reccomend a different cooking method or maybe chicken legs rather than breasts? What works for you?

Re: Meat purée question

• Options
    Meat should be one of the last things you introduce, around 7-9 months. The book that came with my food maker suggested only ground meats but I would think what @twolittlewheels suggested would work just as well.

• Options
    A dietitian I met with last week said the baby can handle meat just fine. The only reason they suggest giving it later on it a texture issue. To make the transition to solids easier they suggest the baby cereal to start because you can make it really liquidy. Meat might not get so watery. But it is no problem health wise and baby will get great iron.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AbbyMMM said:
    Meat should be one of the last things you introduce, around 7-9 months. The book that came with my food maker suggested only ground meats but I would think what @twolittlewheels suggested would work just as well.

I have recently heard some people recommend meat as a first solid. After reading both Baby led weaning and the recs from the pedi office, I am done trying to decide what the "right" order is. Besides the obvious ones to avoid at first, like cow's milk, nut butter and honey, I won't be making anyone feel wrong for what they start and when. It seems like the recommendations are changing all the time. We're starting with meat and the rec for thighs is really helpful! Here's some info on meat and other first options: https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/first-foods/
    Definitely not trying to make anyone feel wrong... so I apologize if I gave off that impression. I've just never run across anything that that said any different than 7-9 months and this was also suggested by our doctor. I was under the impression that it was more difficult for infants to digest which makes sense in my mind but obviously there are differing opinions on basically everything when it comes to babies and recommendations. I was under the impression that this was still the recommendation and that it could cause a potential issue if started too soon, clearly I was mistaken. So again, I apologize if I sounded like I was saying I knew the absolute correct information when I should have said it was my opinion/understanding.
  • Options
    My pedi never mentioned anything about meat, but the 6 month handout from the AAP that they have us says, "introduce fruits and vegetables after your baby eats iron fortified cereal or puréed meats well". We plan to start with avocado and my pedi is ok with that (never mentioned meat, actually), but just thought I'd put out there what the AAP says.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @AbbyMMM not a problem! I agree that too many people are all or nothing when it comes to baby recs when really, it's just whatever works best for you, LO, and your family. We actually started purees of veggies and fruits when DD was around 4.5 months, she's over 5 months now and is getting food regularly. I've gotten side eyed in the grocery store for buying purees with DD with me and someone saying, "don't you think she's a little young for that? She only just needs her mommy's milk for now!" Which pissed me off to high heaven because we had BFing issues so she's been on formula. So I know where you're coming from on being annoyed with things like that!
  • Options
    Our Ped recommended chicken as a first food for breastfed babies at 6 mo. I asked about making my own and he recommended against it because of hormones and stuff fed to supermarket chicken. He said the major organic baby food brands are really strict about the ingredients they use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question. I've been wondering about giving meat to LO and just haven't figured out how. Like everyone else said, the thought of meat puree is disgusting! I make all of LO'S veggies and fruits but I think I actually might give in and buy organic jar food for the meats. But I'm not sure yet...
  • Options
    elm005 said:
    Our Ped recommended chicken as a first food for breastfed babies at 6 mo. I asked about making my own and he recommended against it because of hormones and stuff fed to supermarket chicken. He said the major organic baby food brands are really strict about the ingredients they use.

This is actually really interesting. I never once thought of that. I was just going to buy organic chicken, boil it and purée. I may just buy organic jarred meat purees. Why do they taste SO bad though? -_-
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 1.5.13 - EDD 9.5.13 - Ysabella Sofia born 9.12.13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We are doing a blend of purees and BLW.  When I introduce meat, it will be shredded.

This is my plan once LO is "ready" as well.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    For those who have done BLW, I'm just curious has choking ever been an issue? For things like green beans or apples or basically anything?

I originally wanted to try BLW but scared myself with the thought of LO choking on something. I'm still interested in giving it a try with some very soft foods.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"