April 2014 Moms

Bumper or no bumper?

I'm confused on whether I should get a crib bumper or not? If they are so unsafe why are they still being sold? I was originally going to get a cute pink ruffle bumper from pottery barn but I saw babies r us carries mesh like "bumpers" so baby can't get their arms/legs stuck in the crib but they can breath if they turn their heads into it. I'm sorry if this was already asked...my phone won't let me search the forums.

Re: Bumper or no bumper?

• No! Not for newborns. Some people use them when their kids are mobile to not get stuck.. Otherwise you run the risk of suffocation.
  • I think the consensus is no bumpers.  I put a mesh bumper in my son's crib around 7 months then a real bumper at 12 months because he loved to squish his head in the corner.
  • Loading the player...
  • No.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• No bumpers in our house. Not only are they dangerous but as a new FTM with DD1 I learned very quickly how annoying it was to change the crib sheets with the stupid bumpers in the way. I threw them out when she was a month old and never used them again. And that includes getting rid of the ones that came in the set I got when I had DD2.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• No bumpers.

I put in breathable ones when she was about a year and would scream after getting a limb stuck. That lasted a few months until she was coordinated enough to get un-stuck.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • This is my 4th baby and the first time bumpers are a "no no". We are going without bumpers for the first time. Mostly because my bedding didn't come with any, ha!

Emily

• No bumpers, especially for little babies. DS did not get a limb stuck in his crib ever without one.
  • Seriously? Don't get the bumper. It doesn't matter that they are still being sold. Just don't get it.
  • No bumpers.  The mesh ones are okay but not the standard ones.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No bumpers. When he was old enough to start losing his pacifier through the sides we weaved a breathable blanket through the slats to keep the pacifier in.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• No bumpers for us, no matter the age

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do have some girlfriends who use bumpers and say it helps their baby sleep, but I chose to do no bumpers.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • cd92007 said:

I do have some girlfriends who use bumpers and say it helps their baby sleep, but I chose to do no bumpers.

How does it help them sleep?
  • Its actually illegal to sell them in Chicago...

• Our set came with them so I had them in her crib for show until she started actually sleeping in it (6 months, before that she was in the RnP). I took them out when she was in the crib and put them back in around a year because I thought it would be more comfortable when she was rolling around. She started using them to try to climb out so now we are bumperless and it's NBD.

We bought breathable ones but they didn't fit DD1's crib at all. I think they might fit our new crib so we might try them out when DD2 start rolling around.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm gonna guess you got your answer ;) Just don't do it. Just because they're still being sold doesn't mean they're good. Think of all the processed crap they sell, cigs, etc. Just because they sell them doesn't mean they're safe!
  • I do have some girlfriends who use bumpers and say it helps their baby sleep, but I chose to do no bumpers.
    It helps them feel more enclosed I guess? Not sure! Just relaying the info they told me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Flame away, but I put bumpers in with my kids around 6 mos, when they kept hitting their heads against the crib and getting their legs stuck in the slats. They both snuggled up to them to help them fall asleep.
  • No bumpers! Why would you even chance it when AAP has denounced them as a potential SIDS risk?

I'd use the breathable ones if caught limbs were an issue, but they never were for is with DD (and she moved all over the place). She'd occasionally whack her head on the slats but it never seemed to bother her!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • No bumpers. We use the mesh bumpers when they're older. Their limbs still get stuck occasionally because they just push the bumpers down but at least their pacifiers stay in the crib.

Just because it's still sold doesn't mean it's not that unsafe. There are tons and tons of baby products sold that aren't recommended.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • cd92007 said:

cd92007 said:

I do have some girlfriends who use bumpers and say it helps their baby sleep, but I chose to do no bumpers.

It helps them feel more enclosed I guess? Not sure! Just relaying the info they told me.

Probably decreases stimulation...not seeing distracting surroundings.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Ditto everyone else - no bumpers! I didn't even get a crib set at all, just a couple crib sheets :)
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• We have the breathable bumpers and will use them once they are older and moving around the crib. DD used them for a long time because she'd get her leg stuck once in a while. I wouldn't use any bumpers for a newborn though.
  • maelic said:

They still sell them because it makes them a shit ton of money when you buy crib sets instead of just a sheet, which is the only thing you need.

This. They're for aesthetics, nothing more.
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Going against the c

From my pediatrician and hub's colleagues:

Regarding bumpers and newborns - As a newborn, bumpers don't typically affect your baby because they lay in the middle and don't move around so much especially when swaddled. Once they roll, the recommendation is still to go with mesh bumpers or none for now. *Even then, my pediatrician was kind of like, eh. By the time they're moving around and can hold their head, they will move their head away from the bumper if they aren't getting enough air. Hubs on the other hand is against bumpers, so the mesh was our compromise.

Regarding bumpers and SIDS - The most recent long-term studies out of Boston lead physicians to believe that suffocation is not a cause of SIDS. They are now saying that SIDS is caused by a brain defect.

(I am not claiming to have read the studies. I am simply passing along the information given to me by the trusted professionals in my life.)

*** Our pathologist friend actually mentioned that it was more important to make sure the crib sheet is as tight and secure as possible. He recommended getting the clips that hold the sheet tight beneath the mattress. The reason for this precaution is because the younger babies like to grasp onto the sheet and end up making their own "pockets" of fabric and can suffocated themselves with their sheet.

That makes sense to me about the sheets. I will have to get some of those clips now. We sell them at my work so done!

• From my pediatrician and hub's colleagues:

Regarding bumpers and newborns - As a newborn, bumpers don't typically affect your baby because they lay in the middle and don't move around so much especially when swaddled. Once they roll, the recommendation is still to go with mesh bumpers or none for now. *Even then, my pediatrician was kind of like, eh. By the time they're moving around and can hold their head, they will move their head away from the bumper if they aren't getting enough air. Hubs on the other hand is against bumpers, so the mesh was our compromise.

Regarding bumpers and SIDS - The most recent long-term studies out of Boston lead physicians to believe that suffocation is not a cause of SIDS. They are now saying that SIDS is caused by a brain defect.

(I am not claiming to have read the studies. I am simply passing along the information given to me by the trusted professionals in my life.)

*** Our pathologist friend actually mentioned that it was more important to make sure the crib sheet is as tight and secure as possible. He recommended getting the clips that hold the sheet tight beneath the mattress. The reason for this precaution is because the younger babies like to grasp onto the sheet and end up making their own "pockets" of fabric and can suffocated themselves with their sheet.

Suffocation does not equal SIDS, that is correct. But I *believe* (and I could very well be wrong here) that the issue with bumpers is more than just a suffocation risk because, yeah, mobile babies should be able to move away from them, but they decrease air flow which is what increases SIDS risk.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • ^^^ that is my understanding as well (bumpers = restricted airflow).
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • amhah09 said:

Suffocation does not equal SIDS, that is correct. But I *believe* (and I could very well be wrong here) that the issue with bumpers is more than just a suffocation risk because, yeah, mobile babies should be able to move away from them, but they decrease air flow which is what increases SIDS risk.
    I understood it that way as well, but I think that Boston study goes against that mindset because of them saying it is a brain defect from birth and no longer "caused by" suffocation or restricted airflow. Now, is it exacerbated by it, I haven't a clue. Like I said, I didn't read the study, yet - I was just passing along the info.
  • You don't need one when they are new borns since they don't really move. they kind of make the crib seem like a "box" if you ask me. I plan on swaddling or using sleep sacks until LO can roll over and then will see after that. My crib is neat because it has like panels on some parts instead of bars all around. So less of a chance for limbs to get stuck I guess!
    YCSWU
  • Let this be your first lesson in "just because they sell it does not make it safe". This is true for many baby products. And even for non-harmful ones, the claims generally do not need to be backed up (esp like toys that promise to make your kids brilliant).

Generally lots of kids have to be harmed before products are pulled. The government has to show "harm" rather than the company to show "safety". The onus of proof is completely in favor of companies over consumers.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• amhah09 said:

I understood it that way as well, but I think that Boston study goes against that mindset because of them saying it is a brain defect from birth and no longer "caused by" suffocation or restricted airflow. Now, is it exacerbated by it, I haven't a clue. Like I said, I didn't read the study, yet - I was just passing along the info.
    Oh, I can understand that. Technically since SIDS has an unknown cause of death and is more recently theoreticised as a brain defect (I haven't read that specific article either but I have seen several) then there would be no way to either prevent or exacerbate it. I'm not really SIDS paranoid for this reason.

Friends I've known whose babies died of SIDS had done everything "right" (including one who passed during a nap in the middle of the day in which he was laid on his back in his crib with no blankets or bumpers and whatever else) and SIDS still struck.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • I had a mesh one for DD, but really it was a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble. Will not be putting it back on.
  • From my pediatrician and hub's colleagues:

This is pretty much what my dad told me about SIDS (he retired this year as a pediatrician).
  • I say no.
    image    image    image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"