High-Risk Pregnancy

Type 1 Blood Sugar

Hello fellow Type 1's!

I'm just about 6 weeks pregnant and I've read (and read, and read..) about what to expect from your blood sugar and insulin needs during pregnancy.  It seems a lot of women experience insulin resistance during the first trimester and even notice it before they find out their pregnant.  I had my typical insulin resistance the week before I was expected to get my period, but obviously it never showed.  After I found out, I was having a hard time getting a 150 to move, so I upped my basals by .05u.  Since then, I've been in great range with occasional lows, but no real highs.  I know that this is a good thing, but should I be experiencing more insulin resistance at this point in the pregnancy?  What are/were your blood sugar experiences?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Type 1 Blood Sugar

• It's funny, I read that first trimester lows were common, and I absolutely was low.  In fact, some of my coworkers found out I was pregnant because they had to call 911 for me... my glucose was 16!  That was not the way I wanted them to know my exciting news!  Fortunately my glucose leveled out by 14 weeks, and I've had a1Cs of 5.5 and 5.6 since then.  I'm now 26 weeks, and haven't had any resistance... yet.  I'm waiting for it to happen though.  Other girls on here experienced first trimester resistance though, so hopefully they chime in for you.

<3

• I didn't have insulin resistance until about 25 weeks or so. Like, I've had to up my basals and double my boluses. I'm almost 37 weeks, and I think I need to lower my levels now, because I've had several lows this week. My a1c hasn't been about 5.7 this whole pregnancy, so those few highs I've had are really not a big deal, so try not to stress if you get a few high readings that last only a couple of hours. 

Good luck!
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Loading the player...
  • I wish I could somehow attach this chart I saw in the book "Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes" about insulin needs. But basically there is a bump in insulin resistance right away (so maybe you have a lot of high BGs that are hard to get down) and then it tends to bottom out during the first trimester (for me this happened around week 6-7) and then slowly climb the 2nd and 3rd trimester. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"