December 2013 Moms

Some Guidance, plz

Today was LO's 2 month appt. she weighed 8lbs 7 oz. At birth she was 6lbs 8oz. The pedi said judging by how she's growing, she is considering LO a petite baby and isn't concerned with her weight gain. Now, I know ya'll aren't doctors, but I would appreciate some opinions. Do you think that is too little gain? At her 1 month 5 weeks ago she was 7.1. LO is generally happy, eats 10 times a day, and has 5-9 wet diapers. She's EBF. I was really hoping she would have been over 9 and a lot longer than she was, which is 21 even. She grew 3/4" since last appt.

I don't know why it is rubbing me the wrong way that the pedi is ok with the weight gain. I know she should know best, but I really had hopes LO had gained more.

What do you think? Should I get a second opinion about the weight?

I am thinking of adding in formula. I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I don't know if I should supplement a feeding or give her some formula after nursing. But then how much? I asked my pedi this and she really didn't have much to say. She said she believes LO is probably consuming 4-5 oz per feeding by breast.

I feel at a loss. I cried because I worry I have BM supply issues and I worry it'll only get worse. The pedi wants me back for a 3 month appt to check weight. I'm afraid that's too long to address an issue that may be arising.

I may be overthinking, I tend to be a worrier, so I appreciate any advice to either make me feel better or a hard dose of honesty.

Re: Some Guidance, plz

• ScarlettVScarlettV member
    edited February 2014
    I believe an ounce a week in weight is what they should gain on average. Other than that I don't really know. You should just ask to make an appt with another pedi in the office before you change anything if you're worried

Edit: a lot of moms worry about supply issues but rarely have them. Honestly, she does just sound petite ; some babies just are. But I'm not a doc.

• If you are concerned definitely get a second opinion. And I personally think that it is under what she should have gained but I am not a pedi. My pedi said LO should gain 1oz for everyday. I know pumps are not as good at getting BM out like babies are but you could always pump once to get an idea of how much you are producing. I hope this helps. Good luck with your next appointments!
  • Loading the player...
  • Although not as small as yours, I also have a petite little girl. She just turned 3mo and since she doesn't have a Dr apt until 4mo I recently took her to a BFing group at the hospital to get weighed and do weighted feed to make sure she was eating enough during a feeding. Her weight gain isn't what I had hoped for but She ate over 3oz and the nurses said everything looked good. Some mom friends confirmed this for me and so I'm just giving it time. Maybe if you went to a group like this and confirmed how much she is eating it will make you feel better and reaffirm what your Dr said that she is just fine :)

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• I'm sorry this is stressing you out. I was concerned about our LO's height and head growth at his 2 month, but the pedi showed us a chart and said he was tracking fine based on his previous measurements. If you're worried about supply, you can do a weighted feed with an LC to see how much your LO is getting. Good luck!
  • Did you tell your pedi how you are feeling? I'd call back and tell them you feel unsettled by that and ask them to explain what their thoughts are. They are probably basing it off of her height gain as well but I'm not a doctor so I don't know.
  • stacers33stacers33 member
    edited February 2014
    She is about the same as my DD was at her 2 month apt. Doc said on the lower end of weight gain scale, but not worried - she's a petite LO and no worries.
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• Thanks ladies, I am really thinking of going to another pedi plus calling the LC I have spoken to before. I know I am answering my own question a bit, but I just wanted to reaffirm my instinct about this not sitting right with me.
    I did express my concern with the pedi. Actually multiple times during the appt. She just kept saying it is fine. She started basing lo's growth on my height, I am 5'0 but DH is 6'1. The 3 month appt is to affirm she is definitely gaining weight properly and not losing, but as I mentioned, I am not sure I want to wait that long if there is a weight issue. I see a lot of you posting on the 2 month check in with amazing weights. I wish my LO was a beefy girl :-/
  • ScarlettV said:
    6 oz per week. I don't even have to look at it because it's burned into my head. I go on that website more than I would like to admit.

And it's because of that, I am concerned about the weight.
  • I should also add DH thinks LO is perfectly fine and agreed with the pedi. This is why I wanted to reach out on here to see if I am just being my normal worrywart self or not.

• teacupkat said:

I did express my concern with the pedi. Actually multiple times during the appt. She just kept saying it is fine. She started basing lo's growth on my height, I am 5'0 but DH is 6'1.

That was going to be my question. It sounds like she's going to be petite like her mama! :) do you know what your birthweight was?

Yep! 8lbs 6 oz. DH was 6 lbs 12oz... Funny isn't it?
  • My pedi said they want a weight gain of half an ounce per day, so 15ozs in a month. My kid was gaining slower the first few weeks, then gained 27ozs in 3 weeks. She still looks tiny, she's just long and lean. According to half an oz a day, your LO seems fine. Get a second opinion for your piece of mind...but don't forget, mother's instinct is nothing to frown at, use your judgement in what you think you need to do for your LO.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • She is definitely long and lean. My biggest concern is not recognizing she may have a higher metabolism, but I'm sure she would be miserable if this were the case.
    By 3 weeks she had gained 7 oz from week before and by 4 weeks, had slowed to 4 oz gain.
    I see a different pedi every time I go and I'm just driving myself crazy thinking they aren't seeing a weight trend because it's different point of view each time. But they are doctors, they should know best.
  • I think you are well within the range of .5 to 1 oz per day but if your still worried see if you can get in for a weight check with an LC or your pedi in 2 wks instead of one month for your own piece of mind. I know I go to a local BFing group weekly that has a LC scale so I can keep a close eye on my LO's gain. Maybe you can find a similar group?

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
  • We think my LO has a high metabolism too. She ate 6ozs of formula at 9:30p last night. Then 4ozs at 3a. Then 5ozs of expressed BM at 7:30a. Then between 9:30-11, nursed for an hour of it. Then nursed AGAIN at 1p. It's insane! But she also moves alllllll the time.
  • teacupkatteacupkat member
    edited February 2014

We think my LO has a high metabolism too. She ate 6ozs of formula at 9:30p last night. Then 4ozs at 3a. Then 5ozs of expressed BM at 7:30a. Then between 9:30-11, nursed for an hour of it. Then nursed AGAIN at 1p. It's insane! But she also moves alllllll the time.

Our LOs sound more and more identical. I breast fed her once and then a hour later my mother fed her 5 oz of pumped milk, which she gobbled up. I know your LO likes to fed every 1.5-2 hrs like mine. Ugh. How come you supplement?
  • I've got a slow grower, too, gained just over two pounds at her 2 mo. appointment -- pedi says her weight-to-height ratio has been consistent and that's why no need to worry.

If she seems generally happy, and the pedi isn't concerned, and she's hitting her milestones, I would probably just rely on your doctor's assessment of the situation.  

::hugs:: I know it's stressful.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • teacupkat said:

We think my LO has a high metabolism too. She ate 6ozs of formula at 9:30p last night. Then 4ozs at 3a. Then 5ozs of expressed BM at 7:30a. Then between 9:30-11, nursed for an hour of it. Then nursed AGAIN at 1p. It's insane! But she also moves alllllll the time.

Our LOs sound more and more identical. I breast fed her once and then a hour later my mother fed her 5 oz of pumped milk, which she gobbled up. I know your LO likes to fed every 1.5-2 hrs like mine. Ugh. How come you supplement?
    I absolutely cannot handle feeding her to get to bed & her early AM wake up feeding. She has very frustrating habits during nursing, literally moving while she nurses so she unlatches minimum 20x while nursing, a sleepy nurser, her hands flail up & knock my boob out of her mouth so I have to hold her with one arm & restrain her hand with the other...during the day I have a little more patience to work through it, but when I need her belly full to sleep well I HAVE to give her a bottle as she doesn't have these habits with a bottle. She just loves the comfort of the boob. She is a very hands on baby, just always wants my constant attention so we don't always have BM ready for a bottle since I can only pump when DH is home. We use formula as needed (she was on it until my milk came in and as I got a supply started as she was in NICU) and when I'm not sure if she'll take it all to not waste BM (since I can't pump as much as I'd like).
  • teacupkat said:

Thanks ladies, I am really thinking of going to another pedi plus calling the LC I have spoken to before. I know I am answering my own question a bit, but I just wanted to reaffirm my instinct about this not sitting right with me.
    I did express my concern with the pedi. Actually multiple times during the appt. She just kept saying it is fine. She started basing lo's growth on my height, I am 5'0 but DH is 6'1. The 3 month appt is to affirm she is definitely gaining weight properly and not losing, but as I mentioned, I am not sure I want to wait that long if there is a weight issue. I see a lot of you posting on the 2 month check in with amazing weights. I wish my LO was a beefy girl :-/

I have that beefy girl 18 lbs 10 oz and 25.5" at 3 months, let me tell you my back and arms are so sore. Being that you are petite it is likely that your daughter will be as well. I second that you should try and do weighted feed (it will put your mind at ease, I did them frequently with DD#1). Seeing another doctor wouldn't hurt either but try not to stress, it sounds like she is doing well just a slow gainer.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That sounds pretty slow to me.  It might be fine but it's definitely something I'd look into further if it was my child.  Also, it doesn't sound like the Pedi was entirely comfortable with it since she wanted her back at 3 mo, rather than the usual 4.
    Ben was 10.4 at his two month checkup and that was only 9%-ile, so 8.7 is really low.  It does help some that she is also only 21" but overall that's really tiny and I'd want some more reassurance that it's okay.  At the least I'd ask to take her in for a weight check in a week or two, not wait an entire month. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand your concern! I also have a petite little girl. After two weeks of very slow gain (after a tummy bug), I asked the pedi about fortifying my breastmilk with formula. We agreed it was a good thing to try so I currently add half a teaspoon of formula to 3 oz of BM to add a couple extra calories. I almost exclusively pump so this has worked well for me. My baby also moves a TON but she's steadily gaining. She's at 3 months and weighs a little over 11. Good luck and trust your gut!
  • That sounds pretty slow to me.  It might be fine but it's definitely something I'd look into further if it was my child.  Also, it doesn't sound like the Pedi was entirely comfortable with it since she wanted her back at 3 mo, rather than the usual 4.

Ben was 10.4 at his two month checkup and that was only 9%-ile, so 8.7 is really low.  It does help some that she is also only 21" but overall that's really tiny and I'd want some more reassurance that it's okay.  At the least I'd ask to take her in for a weight check in a week or two, not wait an entire month. 
    Also remember that girls and boys are measured on different growth charts, so her percentile may be higher

• Thanks ladies for the responses. :) after talking to my mom, she reassured me a pound to pound and a half per month was great, even my friend said that was perfect(she has a LO of her own and lots of nieces and nephews) I will still be following up with an LC/looking into a LLL meeting. I also will be calling the pedi to do a two week follow up, not a month. I agree, all these things will help my sanity.

I appreciate the support! And so does LO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"