Working Moms
Options

WDYT of this as an interview answer?

"While I love my boss, colleagues, company, and job responsibilities, I overestimated my ability to commute given my present circumstances. Almost a decade ago, I had a position that required a 50-mile commute in heavier traffic and thrived.  Remembering that, and excited at the opportunity to work in X industry, I jumped at a job offer in that field.  Unfortunately, one year in, I'm finding 3 hours a day in the car, plus the constraint of two toddlers, impedes my ability to be my best self all-around.  While I've received progressively heavier responsibilities and strong performance reviews,  I'm increasingly frustrated by what I perceive to be wasted time.  My current company's culture isn't conducive to telecommuting; in fact I suspect it would damage my relationships with my colleagues if I tried. Should you offer me this position, leaving my current role will be bittersweet, but I want to see what I'm capable of when the time in the car can instead be allocated toward actual productive work." 

I don't even have an interview or even a job in mind.  But I guess, is this the right way to say "I'm considering leaving because the commute is about to push me over the edge"?  It's not my only problem by any means, but an enormous stressor. 

Re: WDYT of this as an interview answer?

• Options
    Absolutely do not mention anything about children. And don't make such a big deal about it, tons of people leave jobs bc of the commute. It's really no big deal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    To clarify, my frustration *is* the commute - specifically because I think 3 hours in the car every day is a waste of time and talent.  I love my current employer, just hate the drive. 
  • Options
    I would just say the commute was too much.

• Options
    I would just say the commute was too much.

Ditto.  While your answer is well thought out, it is really TMI so I would just keep it short and sweet and drama-free.  No one wants to spend 3 hours/day in the car if they have a choice.

• Options
    Yeah, I think you're overthinking it.  Just say that the commute got to be too much.  I think saying "I love my job and who I work with, but 3 hours in the car daily has gotten to be too much".  Period. 

You're far from the first person to feel this way!
  • Options
    Simply state the commute is too much. End of story.
  • Options
    I'm going to add- it almost comes across as a little kiss-assey.  I know you're trying to promote your skills, but there will be plenty of time to do that during the rest of the interview.  It's an oddly long, "look at what a great worker I am" response to a simple question that really has a very simple answer.
  • Options
    I would also be wary about mentioning that you thrived with a long commute 10 years ago but are struggling with it now. If you don't mention the kids (and I don't think you should), it could make your employer wonder what has changed that will cause the commute to have more of an impact on you now and if anything else in your work performance has changed in the last 10 years.

• Options
    Ditto others, just say the commute is the reason, leave all the personal stuff out of if.  If asked you could say that while the job and company were a good fit, but the commute was affecting your quality of life.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    To echo what everyone else is saying, having a long commute is a totally valid and relatable reason for wanting to leave. I would just leave it at that, and definitely not mention anything about your kids.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    Agree with everyone else, I would just say I wanted to find something closer to home.  End of story.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't read the other replies but if I was hiring this person, I would think it was way too much.  And there is no reason to bring up your kids.
  • Options
    Good lord... Shorten it to "I really enjoy my job, but my commute is too long".
  • Options
    Shorten it WAY down and leave your kids out if it. Your first sentence was plenty of explanation.

• Options
    tarynh75 said:
    Good lord... Shorten it to "I really enjoy my job, but my commute is too long".

THIS I interview and hire a ton and if I was interviewing you and this is the answer you gave me I would likely go with another candidate. Just say the commute is to long. End of story.
  • Options
    I had bad commutes for years but work for a great company.  I answered the question by saying I am looking for a postion closer to home and X company interested me because of x, y and z.  I always tried to turn it around as a postive about the company and not focus on the commute and more on why I wanted to work for the company.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, I wouldn't hire you if you gave me this explanation to such a simple question. I'd think that if this is any indication to the kind of worker you are, you over think things and don't know how to be concise and efficient.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"