July 2012 Moms

WWJ12 do? 2nd birthday party.

Hi Ladies,   I know its early to start talking about birthday parties, but this is a question that has been bugging me for a while. 

My son's birthday is 7/12.  I'm due with baby number 2 on 7/24.    My son came 6 days early... so if that is an indication of how this pregnancy will play out,  I'm expecting LO to be here on 7/18ish. 

So,  I'm wondering, should I do his birthday party on his birthday (7/12)?  Or should I do it two weeks prior?  The weekend before is 4th of July weekend and many will be out of town, so I don't want to do it then.  I hate the idea of doing his party early, but at the same time I don't want to risk not having a party at all if I go into labor earlier....

Whichever way I'm going to be miserable since I'll be as big as a house in the middle of summer. 

I'm usually the pinterest type mom that goes all out for birthday parties, but I'm resisting the urge and keeping things simple since I'll be so big and miserable.  All decorations will be store bought.  I'm thinking pool party at my FIL's house with burgers and sides and cake.  So I'll still have to do a lot, but not as much as I would normally do.   And I'll get some help.

what would you do?
Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
5 DIUI - BFN
IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
image imageimageimageimage

Re: WWJ12 do? 2nd birthday party.

• What about doing it late. You'll be more comfortable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • singingirl96singingirl96 member
    edited February 2014
    Excellent.  I was thinking that, but DH is kind of against it... well, that's because he doesn't know how hard it is to be THAT pregnant in the heat of summer....

OPTION 1: Pool party at FILs and having a small inflatable baby pool for the little ones, as well as some sprinklers, slip and slide and other fun inflatable things I can find.  Maybe a small slide as well (not the big rental kind).... 
    PROS:  Free. Large pool and back yard.  Buy food and grill.
    CONS:  Indoor is not as clean since FIL lives on his own AND his house is 40 minutes away from most guests. We'd have to rent tables and chairs.

OR

OPTION 2: Renting space a the local county pool that has a baby pool and a large splash pad. 
    PROS:  Super cool splash pad.
    CONS: Price is higher and food would have to be pre-made store bought.

5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
  • Honestly I would go with option 2. Unless it's a family only bday party. I know I would not drive 40 min to go to a friends kids bday party but I would if it was niece/nephew. You know your guests best & if you think the majority would come then do option 1 but otherwise I would do option 2.

• id do a july 4th get together. fireworks and cake. ive never heard of people leaving town for the 4th, but if they make it they make it.

• KarmB said:
    id do a july 4th get together. fireworks and cake. ive never heard of people leaving town for the 4th, but if they make it they make it.
    Since it falls on a Friday, that makes it a 3 day weekend... so I would think some people may go out of town.   I rather not risk it.
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
  • aimee223 said:
    Do you have to worry about entertaining a lot of kids? LO's two cousins will be the only kids there, so we're not worried about gearing the party towards kid-friendly activities.
    Yes.  we don't have a large family and all our friends have kids.  Mostly 1-5 year old.  So yes, lots of kids.  at least 10
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
  • KarmB said:
    id do a july 4th get together. fireworks and cake. ive never heard of people leaving town for the 4th, but if they make it they make it.
    Since it falls on a Friday, that makes it a 3 day weekend... so I would think some people may go out of town.   I rather not risk it.
    I still have never heard of people going away for the 4th even if it falls on a long weekend. seems strange to me. Dont have the party 2 weeks ahead of time like you said then. Frankly, im not doing much this year because Ill be preggo. Ask around. If the people you would invite, will be gone, change the weekend. If you give people enough notice "Hey we're having a bbq sunday", if they do go away, they most likely will be back in time. Its a 2nd birthday, not one they'll remember. If it was a 5th birthday, I'd say pput more of an effort in it. Dinner with mommy and daddy will be just as nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"