Parenting after a Loss

Transition from Bassinet to Crib (Baby Boots)

I have so much anxiety about this, but DS is 3 months and I know the time is coming. At 11 pounds, he's already looking huge in his tiny bassinet. His head often gets squished at the top and his arms hit the top and sides when he stretches out.

His bassinet is literally right next to my side of the bed and here's the thing - he's not a crier. He wakes up when he's hungry but mostly he just lays there and fidgets, sucks on his hands, etc. I might hear a very faint 'eh, eh' sound but that's about it, or a small grunt when he stretches after waking up. The only other sign that he's awake is his farting (just like his Dad, ha!). I would feel terrible if we had to wait for him to get so hungry that he cried before getting up to feed him. I've never let him cry, I always wake up when he does, I'm sort of tuned into his movements and little sounds. We will have an audio monitor of course but I doubt it will pick up those little sounds and the video monitor is great but you have to open up the iphone and click the app to look at him.

I guess we could move his crib into our bedroom but it's a BIG crib and it would be tough to find a place for it, it's also really heavy and hard to move. the only other thing I can think of is to get a mini-crib or another travel crib (we use a travel crib in the TV room for his day-time naps) and put that in our room? But we still have the issue that someday he will have to move to his own room and I don't anticipate him sleeping through the night consistently anytime soon. He only wakes for one night feeding usually and for that we are hugely grateful!

Thoughts? Ideas?
**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: Transition from Bassinet to Crib (Baby Boots)

• We really (well I guess I should say I because my DH was in Afghanistan until DD was 5 months old) with moving DD into her own crib.  The first 3-4 months she slept in a RNP next to the bed.  After that we went through a stuggle of her only wanting to sleep in bed with me, and by the 6 month times frame she was fully in her crib. 

I would start small.  Try the naps in his crib, that way you can adjust while still being awake and being able to check on him.  If you really stuggle can you set up some sort of bed in his room that you can sleep on during the night until you feel comfortable?.

For me I had an Angle Carer Monitor.  I was always scared that DD would stop breathing in the middle of the night and that monitor took away that fear of not knowing.  I have other mommy friends who swear by the Snuzza.

In regards to not being able to hear your LO, I have a cheapo baby monitor that sits on the other side of the room from DD's crib.  Even with the fan going last night in her room I could hear her sucking on her paci. 

Just ease your way in and do what makes you comfortable.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We put DD in her room at around 6 weeks because she was keeping us up with her noises. I am a light sleeper anyway so I hear her quickly before she starts crying hard. We started out by having her in the bassinet by her bedroom door. Then after a few nights we put her in the crib. We actually stopped swaddling around the same time. We still get up about 2-3 times a night though.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't put DD#1 in her crib until she was much older. We have an Arms Reach Co-Sleeper and was able to keep her next to our bed. The transition to the crib started with naps on the weekends for a couple of months. Once she was fine with that, we did night time and she has STTN since.
    My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • I only skimmed through pps but I will echo what others said and start gradually and also - not sure if someone's said this - but you are still so, so "in synch" with him, I bet you anything you will still wake up when he does. The monitors are very sensitive, but also you are super sensitive. I don't know if that sounds hokey or whatever but really I think something is at work because of how many times (and it still happens sometimes and he's 4) where I would wake up and hear nothing but be lying there and then all of the sudden I would hear him. So I was waking up before him - either that or I was waking up to sounds and I didn't even realize I was hearing them.

Good luck boots! I'm so happy to see this post :) Not that I'm happy for the circumstance obviously but that you have the circumstance :) love you lady!

dream 1 CAME TRUE 2.13.2010

<dream 2> 12.2011

2.10.12 : 4 weeks

6.17.12 : 10 weeks

10.10.12 : 4 weeks, 6 days

12.13.12 : 9 weeks, 1 day

4.6.13 : 4 weeks, 4 days

10.27.13 : 5 weeks, 6 days

4.2.14 (IVF #1) : 4 weeks, 1 day

6.19.14 : IVF #2 Negative

</dream 2>

resolve.org

AMA, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, heterozygous MTHFR

"all it was was a fairytale and devotion to a dream"

lyrics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ***All always welcome!!***

• The transition was really easy for us. At about 3 months we decided to move her from our room in her basinet into her own room and into a crib. It was simple, one night we just moved her there, that's it. She went from sleeping 4-5 hours straight to 7 straight in her own room:)!! We had a monitor and watched her on the video from our room. Easy peasy. I think the anticipation was the hardest part as luckily it all worked out great for us! Good luck mama!

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for the input! His room is just across the hall (past the stairs) and we can leave both doors open and hopefully we will hear him. We're going to wait a few more weeks, I think as long as he can't roll over on his own we are ok in the bassinet.
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.

• I only skimmed through pps but I will echo what others said and start gradually and also - not sure if someone's said this - but you are still so, so "in synch" with him, I bet you anything you will still wake up when he does. The monitors are very sensitive, but also you are super sensitive. I don't know if that sounds hokey or whatever but really I think something is at work because of how many times (and it still happens sometimes and he's 4) where I would wake up and hear nothing but be lying there and then all of the sudden I would hear him. So I was waking up before him - either that or I was waking up to sounds and I didn't even realize I was hearing them. Good luck boots! I'm so happy to see this post :) Not that I'm happy for the circumstance obviously but that you have the circumstance :) love you lady!
    And Squeeee! I'm going to be stalking your IVF cycle, good luck!!!!

• Umm, how is it possible that he's already 3 months old???

Do you have something a little larger you could put him in and keep him next to you? Something like a RNP, PNP (with bassinet in it would be a bonus), co-sleeper, etc? If you aren't ready to move him and have, or could get, any of those options...that could work.  Of the three I listed, the RNP would have a pretty short use-life with your DS (I believe kids have to get moved from it when they can roll...which is coming within a couple months for you).

If it's time to make the big leap to the crib...a few pointers.

You'll still be in tune to his sighs and such on the monitor.  I was super in sync with my DS when I moved him and that didn't change.  The little grunts still wake me up...and he's almost 2.5 yrs old.

Keep as much the same as you can during the transition.  If you swaddle him in the bassinet, swaddle in the crib.  If there is a certain white noise in your room, have it be there too.  Nightlight?  Same deal.  One of the biggest hitches I ran into was DS waking up when I'd set him down.  It wasn't until someone pointed out his sheets may've been cold (it was January at the time) that I was able to solve the problem.  In our case, putting a flannel receiving blanket under him was enough.  I've heard of others using a heating pad/hot water bottle to pre-warm the sheets and then removing said item when baby went in. 

@anitaflora-Totally stalking you as well!

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• We transitioned around 6 or 7 weeks.  We have the Snuza clip and 2 cameras on her with a sound monitor.  It took me a few days to calm down with it but it gets easier over time. 

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• I was surprised at the little noises my monitor picked up! Between that and mommy ears you might be fine! I moved B to her crib at 8 weeks bc she's so loud and I'm a light sleeper.
    BFP #1: 12/26/11, EDD 09/05/12; m/c discovered: 02/22/12 @ 12w u/s,
    D&C: 03/08/12 Waited for AF for 146 long days!
    Hysteroscopy/D&C on July 10th to fix blocked cervix (DX: Cervical Stenosis)
    BFP #2 12/8/12, EDD 08/21/13 Our rainbow arrived 08/24/13!
    imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"