Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Restless sleep

I know every baby is different, but my 4 week old gives us a good sleep stretch from about 9p-12. This is peaceful, quiet sleep, on his back, in his crib or pnp.Then, for the rest of the night, between feedings, he's noisy breathing,stretching, grunting, restless and usually won't stay down unless he's in his vibrating bouncy chair or on our chests. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had these restless sleep episodes. I know it's probably just his way, but could he be uncomfortable or in pain? Any suggestions? Thanks!
image image BabyFruit Ticker First Jelly Bean EDD Jan 26 2014 - 1 day before MY birthday!

Re: Restless sleep

• Options
    Kind of sounds like gas to me. Or maybe reflux. My baby did that a lot but now at 10 weeks its quite a bit better. I found that swaddling helped a lot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My LO is 4 weeks old also and does this. She is a belly sleeper and will give us a 4 hr stretch when she first goes down for the night then after she only does 2-3 hr stretches (usually 2hr) and grunts, snorts, rubs her face on the mattress when we put her back down. She'll eventually fall asleep. I think sometimes it's due to gas cause we can't always get her to burp. Her Dr did say she might have reflux cause she coughs and occasionally power pukes. Not much help for you but at least you know you aren't the only one!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My lo do same thing ; what can u give for gas discomfort ? And for reflux ?
  • Options
    Newborns are notoriously noisy sleepers. I wouldn't worry about it if he's not upset. 

• Options
    I would worry if ours was quiet when he was asleep!
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Options
    Beckel84 said:

I know every baby is different, but my 4 week old gives us a good sleep stretch from about 9p-12. This is peaceful, quiet sleep, on his back, in his crib or pnp.Then, for the rest of the night, between feedings, he's noisy breathing,stretching, grunting, restless and usually won't stay down unless he's in his vibrating bouncy chair or on our chests. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had these restless sleep episodes. I know it's probably just his way, but could he be uncomfortable or in pain? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Have you tried swaddling with arms in? My LO is so wiggly that if I don't swaddle her, she wakes herself up at night. I just discovered that swaddling = better sleep just a couple of weeks ago and she is now 10 weeks old.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses. Yes, he's been swaddled arms in since day 1. He's now 6 weeks. Through observation and various google searches, I think what is happening is due to gassiness (had to switch to sensitive formula), during his lighter sleep cycles, he is grunting, straining and fussing because of the gas. During deeper sleep earlier in the night and longer naps, he sleeps through it. But lighter naps and end of the night, he is responding to the gassy feelings and discomfort. No real solution except for him to grow out of it. During that last stretch of night (early morning) I let him sleep on my chest. It seems to comfort him enough that the grunting and fussing isn't as extreme.
    image image BabyFruit Ticker First Jelly Bean EDD Jan 26 2014 - 1 day before MY birthday!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"