Baby Showers
Options

Diaper raffle/book in lieu of a card

Why is this considered rude? No explanation I've read on my birth month makes any actual sense to me.

Re: Diaper raffle/book in lieu of a card

• Options
    To add on to the pp, you're putting guests in a position where they could potentially feel uncomfortable - I.e., the antithesis of proper etiquette.

If I spend all my budget on your lovely gift, why should I be made to feel inadequate in someway when I am the only one who shows up without diapers for the raffle?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kit0429 said:
    Why is this considered rude? No explanation I've read on my birth month makes any actual sense to me.
    Search this board and read the responses. If it still doesn't make sense to you, you should just take our word for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    nah82nah82 member
    edited February 2014
    Empireceo said:
    Let's not forget that anyone who disagrees with her is totes jealous!!!! https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12270895/my-shower-invitation-design-is-finalized/p1
    And the diapers must be chlorine free and in size 1-4...  I generally don't mind diaper raffles but I would definitely roll my eyes at that.  Those fancy "natural" diapers are pricey, especially in addition to another gift and not everyone can afford the luxury to spend that much combined on a baby shower.  I didn't even spend that much on diapers for my own children.  If I participate in a diaper raffle, I bring Pampers because there are always coupons for them!  You should be grateful for whatever gifts you receive, be it a case of chlorine free diapers or a pack of Luvs.  If they're not good enough for your precious little one's tush, just return them.

Specifying things like that can make people uncomfortable choosing gifts thinking you will view them as "not good enough" if they don't choose something up to your standards.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    normandyn7normandyn7 member
    edited February 2014
    It wouldn't be so bad except she said they are going to use cloth diapers. So why are you going to have your guests waste money on disposables if you don't plan on using them? That is rude. If I went to a shower, brought a gift AND a pack of diapers and the MTB said she was using cloth diapers I would be pissed.

EDIT: The PP described better than me as to why it is rude.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for the info. Glad I know where you all stand with your budgets.
  • Options
    It seems like you just want to be pissy. That's fine! Your life not mine. Not how I choose to spend my time here on earth. My friends basically wouldn't take no for an answer, none of them cloth diaper so they don't get it and I'm a FTM so I'm not 100% sure of how it is going to go, and I figure why not have disposables on hand for traveling, babysitters and day care?

No one I know would feel like I was breaking their budget by asking them to participate in a diaper raffle or think it was rude bc I am cding. Good thing none of you are invited :) have fun being jealous bitches!!! Lmfao
  • Options
    nah82nah82 member
    edited February 2014
    kit0429 said:
    It seems like you just want to be pissy. That's fine! Your life not mine. Not how I choose to spend my time here on earth. My friends basically wouldn't take no for an answer, none of them cloth diaper so they don't get it and I'm a FTM so I'm not 100% sure of how it is going to go, and I figure why not have disposables on hand for traveling, babysitters and day care? No one I know would feel like I was breaking their budget by asking them to participate in a diaper raffle or think it was rude bc I am cding. Good thing none of you are invited :) have fun being jealous bitches!!! Lmfao
    Yep, good thing because nobody here wants to attend a shower for someone so greedy. >>"I'm going to score a ton of free diapers thanks to the genius of one of my bffs."

Nobody's jealous.  I get my diapers for free because my MIL works at a hospital where she can order them at wholesale price and won't take our money.  And I'm grateful for that.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @kit0429 You make no actual sense to me. Can you please explain yourself and your worldview?

• Options
    Gigi8212Gigi8212 member
    edited February 2014
    First of all, what a waste. I CD and I can tell you that I never use disposables. I get that some people do both, but if you plan to mainly CD, most of those disposables will go to waste. Why not just lose the raffle and register for cloth? It makes too much sense.

Also, diaper raffles are just tacky. But OP is obviously thicker than most. I don't think any amount of posts will make her understand.
  • Options
    Let's not forget this little peach not only didn't like the answers she got on her thread... but when I posted my invite to our BMB she came over and linked her thread to mine and said "surprised you didn't get bitched at for asking for a book instead of a card" and took over my thread then with her pettiness. (Mind you yes I know it's rude to ask for a book instead of a card... but the invites were already sent out and MIL wanted to surprise DH and I with he invite afterwards... so I had no say in it, nor had any clue they did it). Then still didn't like any of the comments to her so she said she'll ask here (which everyone told her she'll get ripped apart here) and she did anyways... AND STILL doesn't like the comments. WAH!
    And really... asking for very specific, expensive diapers is nothing like asking for a cheap book. I don't know where you find chlorine free diapers for like $2. I think thats the only thing I'd be jealous of! Where are you finding such cheap diapers!! But whatever.
    Guess May'14 hasn't had a crazy for awhile, someone had to come out!
    Have fun with her here ladies... she's a spoiled little brat who needs a good smack up side the head.

**Lighting a candle in memory of our angel babies and angel mama in heaven from May'14**
  • Options
    I just can't get over having a diaper raffle when you're planning to CD.  I mean seriously?

Diaper raffles are pretty common in my area, so I'm never thrown by seeing this.  Sometimes I participate, sometimes I don't, it's never been a big deal.  But the ONLY reason I don't mind this is that I know that they'll be able to use the diapers.  So to find out they won't even be using them except in the very limited 'supplement' capacity...I'd be highly annoyed and would probably never buy that person a gift again because they clearly don't value that I'm spending my hard earned money for something I thought would be useful.  
  • Options
    Seriously, OP? No one was mean to you and all the explanations were legit. I can, however, understand you not considering them legit arguments if you typically don't concern yourself with pesky things like manners.

BTW, I would either take down your invitation or blur out your last name as it makes it very easy for someone to find you on FB.

• Options
    BTW, I would either take down your invitation or blur out your last name as it makes it very easy for someone to find you on FB.
    OMG.  So, for the hell of it, I did this.  Searched on FB.  Want to know what comes up?  "Katie Dauser Ceramics".  I didn't actually click on the site - not that interested - but that name comes up in the results list.

I was thinking this might all be MUD, and now I'm more convinced of it.  I think she wanted to get people riled up and "curious", and low and behold... looks like she has a business site that she wants people to go to. 
  • Options
    VOR said:
    OMG.  So, for the hell of it, I did this.  Searched on FB.  Want to know what comes up?  "Katie Dauser Ceramics".  I didn't actually click on the site - not that interested - but that name comes up in the results list.

I was thinking this might all be MUD, and now I'm more convinced of it.  I think she wanted to get people riled up and "curious", and low and behold... looks like she has a business site that she wants people to go to. 

Hmm...interesting.

• Options
    VOR said:

Hmm...interesting.
    I could be wrong.... so, I don't want people blowing up that FB page.  BUT - I just find it curious.  She comes here asking for "understanding", posts her invite that includes her full name, and then the only "katie Dauser" who pops up is a commercial thing? 

• Options
    nah82nah82 member
    edited February 2014
    Ceramics doesn't seem like the kind of business you'd be trying to get long distance internet customers to me.  I would think customer base would be more local with classes and the product being fragile and whatnot.  That is kind of a far fetched theory.  She has too much post history to just be spamming.  Just so excited about her invitations she didn't think before she posted with her full name.  Or doesn't know how to edit the image to hide her name.

ETA: My apologies, there is an etsy shop linked to the fb page.  I was picturing the old school ceramics places we have around here where you buy the white molded figures and paint.
  • Options
    This is what happens when little girls get pregnant.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I've been to showers where the invite asked for a book instead of a card and I thought it was a sweet way to build a baby's library instead of wasting $ on a card they won't ever use. Never thought of it as rude.
  • Options
    VOR said:

I made stuff that looks just like that back in my freshman art class in high school...maybe I've been inspired to start a new career. :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"