Babies on the Brain

Recommendation on SUVs w/ 3rd Row

DH and I have decided to TTC in June and I am over the moon! We already have two little monsters and are moving to Alaska in May.  My husband has a Ford F-150 will plenty of room for all 3 in the back and I just have a Mazda 6.  I am already skeptical about driving it in the winter, I know it can be done but still skeptical. My husband and I will be on the same shift and can car pool but I don't want to pay on a vehicle that will mostly sit in the driveway.  I would like to have another vehicle to have just in case we need two cars for something.  It happens all the time now, and I am sure it will later as well.  What are your thoughts and recommendations on 3rd row SUVs with 4WD/AWD capability.  Thanks! 
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Recommendation on SUVs w/ 3rd Row

• I'd highly recommend the Honda a Pilot. VERY car seat friendly (lots of LATCH and tether points) and has nice 4WD. The trunk space is pretty limited when the 3rd row us in use, but that's pretty standard for 3rd row vehicles.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • I also have a Pilot and I love it!  Super smooth ride and comfy for DH (bigger/tall dude).

• Loading the player...
  • My parents have a Chevy Traverse. I haven't driven it so I guess I can't say first-hand, but I think it looks nice. And obviously they must like it haha. I like Chevys in general, as DH used to have a Camaro and now an Equinox (both of which I love driving)!
  • I drive a Ford Explorer. DH is a Ford guy. I like subarus, but the Explorer just fit our needs better. The 3rd row folds down easily and there are latch points and tether spots for carseats in each seat in the back.

My only complaint would be that it would be tough to get to the 3rd row with carseats in the 2nd row- you have to fold down the seats. But I guess you could always put 2 in the 3rd row and the baby in the 2nd row to leave access open.
  • I would consider a Subaru Tribeca if you need 3rd row seating. I don't feel like 3rd row seating is a need if you only have 3 children. They should comfortably fit in a larger car/suv back seat, no? Are you planning for more later on?

If you have family, friends, or contacts up in the area of Alaska you are moving to  I would ask what they drive. You will find a huge difference in the roads and vehicles used depending what part of the state you are in. It makes the most sense to ask people who actually drive there year around. 
  • Jags8Jags8 member
    edited February 2014
    @TheCraftyKoala ...I remember all too well being stuffed in the back seat with two siblings. Fights ensued. You know, the whole "she's touching meeeeee!" We had to rotate who sat in the middle because we all hated it and fought not to sit there. It would especially be cramped if there is one or more car seats. I am all for 3rd row seating if there are more than two kiddos. Edit: spelling
  • @jags8 - Thanks!

I only have one sister and we have no kids yet - so there is my very limited perspective on all things SUV. Also, adore my hybrid and spending about $50 a month on fuel for our family of 2 :) I will miss these days in a few years as we want at least 3 kiddos ourselves... I better start looking into this 3rd row seating business...
  • Jags8 said:

@TheCraftyKoala ...I remember all too well being stuffed in the back seat with two siblings. Fights ensued. You know, the whole "she's touching meeeeee!" We had to rotate who sat in the middle because we all hated it and fought not to sit there. It would especially be cramped if there is one or more car seats. I am all for 3rd row seating if there are more than two kiddos.

Edit: spelling

This, and a lot of cars can not fit 3 car seats across or only have 2 top tether points (and you must use a top tether with any forward facing car seat).
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • fredalina said:
    The Nissan Pathfinder allows you to access the third row with a FF car seat installed in row 2.
    This is so key.  DH drives a Ford Explorer and we love it but we can't use the 3rd row until DS is in a booster.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ADORE my Buick Enclave! Lots of room in the 3rd row...you don't feel trapped all the way back there. Mine is AWD and I love it in the snow...handles itself really well because it's so heavy; I rarely slide around corners. I won't be getting anything else anytime soon. I'm in love :)
  • It may be helpful to check out www.edmunds.com there are a lot of great articles on safety and they have long term test drive and reviews of all different makes and models. Edmunds is a great site! Personally, I like the Chevy Traverse. 

Married 10-5-12 | TTC#1 10-5-13 | BFP 4-5-14 | Due 12-12-14
    First u/s 4-21-14, Baby G has a heartbeat! 112BPM
    Second u/s 5-1-14 140BPM | Third u/s 5-3-14 168BPM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • fredalina said:

The Nissan Pathfinder allows you to access the third row with a FF car seat installed in row 2.

This. I love my pathfinder. I have an 08 and it is wonderful to drive and handles snow/ice well. It also has a TV/DVD player for older kids on long trips with headphones for each person.

I also love Toyota sequoia. I recently had one as a rental out in CO and it was very comfortable and easy to drive.

• Thanks for all the input. I think I am set on the new pilot. I checked out the explorer today and I don't really care for theack of access to the third row. The highlander is too small for additional cargo. I like the pilots price and features.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I loved my Pilot.  If you need something bigger, I love my Nissan Armada.  I live in the south now so very little need for 4WD though I did have to use it a couple weeks ago. Lots of space in the back even after the 3rd row is up.  I don't go far for work or the gym so I only fill up once every two weeks to the tune of $65-$80 depending on gas prices and how low I let it get. 

What Are Your Thoughts on Tap Dancing Penguins?

• I have a Ford Explorer (2006). I hate it. It's paid off, so we are waiting until it dies (again) to get a new car. I love the Pilot. I also like the Pathfinder and Highlander too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"