September 2012 Moms

Names you can't stand

13»

Re: Names you can't stand

• I hate all the crazy ass names that celebrities give their kids. Apple. North. Kyd. Pilot Inspektor.

STAAAAHHHHP.
  • Celeste- Just not my cup of tea.

Holten- One of my students, sounds made up to me... I always almost call him Holden (like Caulfield).

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't hear Clara without think of Clara Bell the cow...
    Aww, I always think of the girl in the Nutcracker.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DianeD1 said:
    One name I would never use is Cameron. I had a student with that name and it's completely ruined for me now. It sucks too because I did used to really like the name and that was the first name DH threw out for DS.
    I'm this way about Camden, but it's not a kid that ruined it. It's a place. I grew up not far from Camden, N.J., the most crime-ridden armpit of a city.

• I know a child who's name is Cashmere and his nn is Cash....
    Cashmere sounds like a girl to me.

• I am going to sound like an asshat because this is one of the names Lois has picked... but I really dislike Drake. No offense! It just sounds so angry to me. And reminds me of Dracula. 

I don't like the name Leah. Or Aleeah. My H had those picked for DD and I was like no way. 
    I love Lia. It was a top contender for DD.

• melody921 said:
    DianeD1 said:
    One name I would never use is Cameron. I had a student with that name and it's completely ruined for me now. It sucks too because I did used to really like the name and that was the first name DH threw out for DS.
    I'm this way about Camden, but it's not a kid that ruined it. It's a place. I grew up not far from Camden, N.J., the most crime-ridden armpit of a city.
    This exactly. I remember the first time I accidentally drove into Camden after dark when I had my license for a hot second. I was too scared to pull over and ask someone for directions that I just kept driving until I could figure my own way home. ha!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • No real reason but "Kyle" grates on me. Possibly South Park related or that bitch "Kylie" I grew up with. 
    Every Kyle I've known has been an under-achiever, so I'm with you there. I also hate Brittany/Brittney, Tiffany and Armani.

• melody921 said:
    DianeD1 said:
    This exactly. I remember the first time I accidentally drove into Camden after dark when I had my license for a hot second. I was too scared to pull over and ask someone for directions that I just kept driving until I could figure my own way home. ha!
    Ha, that happened to me in Northeast Philly. Lots of scummy places not too far from home.

• RaeMack said:

Celeste- Just not my cup of tea.

Holten- One of my students, sounds made up to me... I always almost call him Holden (like Caulfield).

I named my GPS Celeste.  Because she's connected to satellites, and therefore celestial.....

this was back when I first got it in 2010 and still went out and drank. :-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• melody921 said:
    I know a child who's name is Cashmere and his nn is Cash....
    Cashmere sounds like a girl to me.

Cashmere sounds like a stripper name to me.
  • Also, Brock. I hate the name Brock. It sounds like Big Rock.

• edited February 2014
    Bookelly said:
    Mabel. I shudder when I hear it. Super harsh and reminds me of a cow. Agree with -ayden names (though I do like Aidan). Anything with superfluous letters or youneek spellings.
    Mabel reminds me of the old show Mad About You. I don't even know why I remember that, but that's what they named their baby. It was an acronym for Mothers Always Bring Extra Love... 

oh 90's TV

ETA added more so I didn't have 85 posts in a row

@LL January is a guilty pleasure name of mine, but I don't think I could ever pull the trigger and actually use it.... :S 

I also don't like any variation of Kenzie... Kenslee...Kinzie...Kinley...
  • I have another after being on facebook.  Like I said before, I am not a fan of boy names on girls, but I really hate it when people change the spelling to look girly.  If you are going to use a boys name just own it and spell it properly.  One of my friends from college named her daughter Elly.ette (period added for Google), which makes me want to put the emphasis on "ette" instead of pronouncing it like Elliott.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have another after being on facebook.  Like I said before, I am not a fan of boy names on girls, but I really hate it when people change the spelling to look girly.  If you are going to use a boys name just own it and spell it properly.  One of my friends from college named her daughter Elly.ette (period added for Google), which makes me want to put the emphasis on "ette" instead of pronouncing it like Elliott.
    Maybe she wanted to make it sound girlier?  :-q

• edited February 2014
    melody921 said:
    I have another after being on facebook.  Like I said before, I am not a fan of boy names on girls, but I really hate it when people change the spelling to look girly.  If you are going to use a boys name just own it and spell it properly.  One of my friends from college named her daughter Elly.ette (period added for Google), which makes me want to put the emphasis on "ette" instead of pronouncing it like Elliott.
    Maybe she wanted to make it sound girlier?  :-q

She still pronounces it like Elliott.  I don't understand, it hurts my brain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, my cousin and his wife named their daughter Shiann because Cheyenne sounds "too Indian" 

:::::face palm::::::

That's bad. I don't even like Cheyenne (and oddly enough, I met two of them this morning), let along Shiann.

• melody921 said:

Yeah, my cousin and his wife named their daughter Shiann because Cheyenne sounds "too Indian" 

That's bad. I don't even like Cheyenne (and oddly enough, I met two of them this morning), let along Shiann.
    Didn't I tell you ladies about my newbie student at the beginning of this semester who has the name Shy Anne spelled JUST LIKE THAT?!

Talk about shitty parents.  Shy Anne.  Seriously.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• @LoisLayn23 Do you know a Blaze in real life?! That just makes me think of American Gladiators.
    I hate the name Jessica, sorry, there are probably a few of you here. That's the name of my "friend" who slept with my fiancé six years ago. I still hate it.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • jenndub said:
    @LoisLayn23 Do you know a Blaze in real life?! That just makes me think of American Gladiators. I hate the name Jessica, sorry, there are probably a few of you here. That's the name of my "friend" who slept with my fiancé six years ago. I still hate it.
    I know a Blade IRL
  • melody921 said:

Yeah, my cousin and his wife named their daughter Shiann because Cheyenne sounds "too Indian" 

Didn't I tell you ladies about my newbie student at the beginning of this semester who has the name Shy Anne spelled JUST LIKE THAT?!

Talk about shitty parents.  Shy Anne.  Seriously.
    I wish I could say I haven't seen this before. But I have.

Student records, man.  So many poor name choices lurking in there.
  • pharmer78pharmer78 member
    edited February 2014
    Lila.  Sounds weird coming out of my mouth.
    Same with Layla.

Aw man!  Up until this point, I was thinking..."boy, I chose some universally appealing names!"
    FYI-  I adore my children's names...but it still stings a *tiny* bit

• MrsKipperMrsKipper member
    edited February 2014
    melody921 said:

DianeD1 said:

---------
    That makes me sad. I grew up about 30-45 minutes from Camden, SC and it is the cutest, quaintest little town. It would totally redeem your view of the name! ;)

Anniversary

• @LoisLayn23 Do you know a Blaze in real life?! That just makes me think of American Gladiators. I hate the name Jessica, sorry, there are probably a few of you here. That's the name of my "friend" who slept with my fiancé six years ago. I still hate it.
    Yes. I actually know a Blade and a Blaze. Unrelated to each other.
    Spelled like that??  One of the names on our short list was Blaise (it's a real name-French), but I decided against it because I was afraid people would think it was "Blaze" and automatically assume I'm a moron.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jenndub said:
    @LoisLayn23 Do you know a Blaze in real life?! That just makes me think of American Gladiators. I hate the name Jessica, sorry, there are probably a few of you here. That's the name of my "friend" who slept with my fiancé six years ago. I still hate it.
    Blaise is a real name (like the saint). I've known Blazes and Blaises. I don't care for either. @jenndub, I think Jessica sounds like a total 80s name.

• MrsKipper said:
    DianeD1 said:
    --------- That makes me sad. I grew up about 30-45 minutes from Camden, SC and it is the cutest, quaintest little town. It would totally redeem your view of the name! ;)
    I know a ton of people in Camden, SC (I'm in Cola) and those were some of the baddest kids ever. "Bad" like me anyway. 
    (Formerly MamaBearKendy)
  • melody921 said:
    jenndub said:
    Blaise is a real name (like the saint). I've known Blazes and Blaises. I don't care for either. @jenndub, I think Jessica sounds like a total 80s name.
    I'm a Jessica, and the name is fine aside from sharing it was like 8 billion other people (I was always Jessie K. 8 in school because there were so many, we had to go by last initial and a number). Anyway, I don't hate it, but it would be weird to me if someone named their kid that now. I agree.. it's very 80's ish. I feel the same way about Jennifer and Becky and Stephanie and names like that, though.. they all seem dated, but not quite old enough to bring back yet. 
  • jessk86 said:
    melody921 said:
    jenndub said:
    I'm a Jessica, and the name is fine aside from sharing it was like 8 billion other people (I was always Jessie K. 8 in school because there were so many, we had to go by last initial and a number). Anyway, I don't hate it, but it would be weird to me if someone named their kid that now. I agree.. it's very 80's ish. I feel the same way about Jennifer and Becky and Stephanie and names like that, though.. they all seem dated, but not quite old enough to bring back yet. 
    I'm a Jennifer, obviously. We're both so 80's.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • jessk86 said:
    melody921 said:
    jenndub said:
    A former colleague has a 1-year-old Jessica. It was the first I'd heard it on someone younger than me.

• I just don't particularly care for names that sound like things or adjectives.  Majesty, Sapphire, Diamond, Precious, Prince.  I know I gave my kids sort of unique names, but these are just a little too unique for my taste.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • melody921 said:
    jenndub said:

STUCK

I'm Jennifer. One of 8 also in my graduating class. While I don't hate my name I wish it wasn't so popular when I was born.

• Jackson/Jaxon/Jack
    Sophia
    Olivia
    Emma

I know a lot of kids with these names.  I'd also never do anything with an en name. Aiden/Kayden/Brayden.  Just too popular in these parts.

Names I don't like for irrational reasons:
    Stella, Ivy, Daisy & Zoe: all of these are dog names to me.
    Any name that was at one time a Disney princess: Ariel, Belle, Aurora.  
    I can't stand all of the bolded names either!  My nephew is Brayden, so I can tolerate that a little, but I hate the fact that 10 ish years ago, everyone took the name Aiden and put whatever crap they wanted in front of it to make up names like Jayden, Cayden, and Brayden.  Ugh.  The Jackson/Jaxson really drives me nuts too.

Emma and Ava are just way overused in my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• melody921 said:
    I can't hear Clara without think of Clara Bell the cow...
    Aww, I always think of the girl in the Nutcracker.
    Same here.  12 years of ballet for me and Clara is the Nutcracker girl!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• L8kissieL8kissie member
    edited February 2014
    Mostly based on classroom observations of kids with these names repeatedly displaying behavior:
    Michael/Mikey - hyperactive
    Jessica - drama issues
    Daniel - a bit sluggish
    Kevin - stuck up, but smart
    Sarah - manipulative (slutty in later years ;))
    Kristy (not from classroom exp) - bitchy (My name is Krisie)
    Those are the main stand outs for me, but I'm not too fond of the "youneek" ones either.

Eta: I wasn't done yet
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • melody921melody921 member
    edited February 2014
    I don't like anything with an apostrophe. I got two emails last week, one from a Le'Creasha and another from a Le'Shawaunda (which reminded me a whole heck of a lot of this:

edited to fix pic

• jenndub said:
    jessk86 said:
    melody921 said:
    jenndub said:
    I'm a Jennifer, obviously. We're both so 80's.
    Radical! hah
  • I got this far, and agree with Lois. Also, want to throw out there Amos, it just rhymes too much w/Anus. I can't get onboard. Also, reference Amos and Andy and Amos Slade from Fox and the Hound. I know I shouldn't judge or be immature, but no, just no.

DS - 9/12/08 9 lbs 22.5 in.

Natural M/C 9/21/09 at 8w 1d baby measured 6w 3d

DS2 - 7/13/10 10 lb 2.5 oz. 21.5 in

DD1 - 9/21/12 9 lbs 4 oz. 22.5 in 

Baby #4 due Spring of 2014!

• I see my quote didn't work above... awesome. Others I hate, names ending in -lyn, -den, etc. My great niece is Braelyn and it's growing on me, but not a fan. Grew up not liking a Karly. Tristan sounds like Kristin. Leonard, which makes me feel bad b/c it's my sweet old uncles name. Lola I'm sure there are more. Just too tired to think, and I'm late in the game. :-(

DS - 9/12/08 9 lbs 22.5 in.

Natural M/C 9/21/09 at 8w 1d baby measured 6w 3d

DS2 - 7/13/10 10 lb 2.5 oz. 21.5 in

DD1 - 9/21/12 9 lbs 4 oz. 22.5 in 

Baby #4 due Spring of 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"