Parenting after a Loss

Hello! (long)

Hey guys!

My name's Amanda and I have a 19 (almost 20) month old named Emma.  We belonged to July 2012 for a very long time and then I had to change my account so I now look like I newbie! 

We found out shortly after DDs 1st birthday that we were expecting LO#2.  Went to the doctors and they wanted to confirm EDD and scheduled an u/s.  Went in and confirmed us a 7 weeks and EDD of April 2014.  Everything looked normal with a heart beat and all but they did see a cyst they wanted to watch so we scheduled a 10 week u/s.  I had a very big gut feeling that I was going to m/c, and didn't know why.  I tried to blame it on BF but my doctor assured me that I would have a happy healthy pregnancy, just like I did with DD.  

Shortly after my 7 week u/s my DH got a job offer so we packed up and moved 2 hours south (Colorado Springs!).  Luckily the health systems just merged so I could follow up with my doctor up North and not have to drive 2 hrs for a u/s.  DH took a long lunch and we went in for the u/s in late September.  The u/s tech was obviously avoiding the baby while looking around.. So I asked if we could see the baby before we did everything else.  She focused on the baby and I asked "am I just being paranoid or do I not see a heartbeat?"  The tech, very nonchalantly answered "nope, neither do I."  I was devastated.  I didn't know how to react.. I didn't know what to day.  DH, DD and I just sat there in silence while the u/s tech finished looking at my anatomy.  She said the doctors would review the u/s and get back with us.  We still had hope,  or at least DH did.  I didn't so much.  It was my worst fear come true.  How did I know this would happen?  Why did it happen so late in the first trimester?  Why now?  Why?

We got the call from my on call doctor who had to jump through hoops to get my u/s from the hospital down here.  He asked if I wanted to take anything for it and I declined.  I'd rather try to do this naturally than maybe do something that I didn't have to.  We scheduled another u/s to confirm it and this time they found swelling and no HB.  I still refused the medication and said I would try to do this naturally.  2 weeks after the 2nd confirmation u/s (13 weeks) I decided I couldn't' handle it anymore.  We opted for a D&C in October 2013 since we have DD and I didn't want to be alone when and if the medication kicked in or I did it naturally.  They said I lost more blood than normal during the D&C but no real complications.  I had a dream that LO#2 was a girl and we named her Harlow.  She's our little Heavenly Harlow now.  Our 2nd child that I will never get to hold.  We did burier her, and we have a place to go visit.  It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. (It's the oldest public cemetery on this side of the Mississippi!)

I've been in a dark hole for a little while now. We've never been the preventing ones but we've not started actively trying until this past month.  I've had 4 cycles since the m/c.

Being a mother to Emma has been the most challenging thing I've encountered during this grieving process.  I don't feel like I've been the best I could be with her.  I'm not as patient as I used to be.  In the last 2 months things have gotten tremendously better in that department but I still find some days where I don't want to get out of bed.  I'm so glad I've found this board.  I have introduced myself over on TTCAL but I'm not 100% it's for me yet.  Emma is all of my joy and a lot of my frustration most days.  So if I can't mention her, I won't be an effective support over there and I know I wouldn't get much support.  I hope I can find a place here! 
            BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hello! (long)

• Welcome!  I'm so sorry for your loss.  I also had a missed m/c late in the first trimester.  Not that you can ever be prepared for such a thing, but I was just as shocked as you.  I hope you find as much support here as I have.  
  • Ladiebug710Ladiebug710 member
    edited February 2014
    Hello and welcome.  I am very sorry for your loss.  I think this is a good place, TTCAL can be a bit tricky when you already have a LO.  Grieving takes time, don't give yourself a time limit.  I hope your TTCAL journey is short and you get your BFP soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the support ladies!  I appreciate it!  I just want to say I've had 1 m/c.  Sorry if it came off as I have had 2! 
                BabyFruit Ticker
  • Welcome! I am so sorry for your loss, and wish you luck in your TTC journey. This is an amazing group of women here! 
    PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

• Thanks for the support ladies!  I appreciate it!  I just want to say I've had 1 m/c.  Sorry if it came off as I have had 2! 
    Oops. Sorry I  misread.
    No worries! <3 
                BabyFruit Ticker
  • Welcome to the board. I am so sorry for you loss. It is devastating, no matter how you slice it. Huge hugs to you!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just wanted to chime in b/c I felt similar to you not so long ago. I had a loss before my son who is now 3 years old, and I've had two losses after him, and now am currently pregnant with my hopeful rainbow #2. It's a very tough place to be when you have a child but you desire another and you are dealing with loss. The emotions are different and hard to really deal with - or so I felt. I was on TTCAL after my son and before this pregnancy, and I did find it a struggle that I couldn't really mention him, but I came here to PAL when I needed to get out my specific feelings concering my losses and parenting as well. I actually started a check-in here back then for PALer's who were dealing with loss while trying to have another baby and it was a very good outlet, but I think it kind of died off.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I'm sorry for your loss. Welcome!!

BFP #2: 08/23/12; EDD: 05/04/13 ~Please stick little one!!! DS born 05/09/13 at 40w5d

BFP #1: 05/05/12; EDD: 01/01/13; m/c: 05/21/12 ~Forever in our hearts~ 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary
  • mkc5869 said:
    Welcome.  I'm very sorry for you loss.  The grieving process is so hard and different for every one.  I can only imagine how much harder it would be with a LO at home to take care of.  There are several PAL mommas that are TTC but don't feel like we "fit" on TTCAL now that we have our rainbows.  We are a very low drama board but it can also be a bit slow at times.  Feel free to post and ask questions about anything!
    I agree.  I'm not TTC yet, but I definitely have no plans on posting on TTCAL when we are.  I know there are really strict rules about having pictures/tickers in your siggy and whatnot (which is 100% understandable).
  • @KikiCohen , I agree.  It's 100% understandable, but I just can't find myself ok with posting over there without mentioning Emma.  So maybe I'll try to lurk and contribute where I can, but not be a regular.  

Thanks everyone for having me! 
                BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am very sorry for your loss.  I understand how it can be uncomfortable.  I posted on TTCAL after we lost our first son.  I have since had another loss after having our rainbow and am feeling a little lost.  I have not felt comfortable posting back on TTCAL and have decided to stick to this board.  These women are wonderful.  And even though everyone is not TTC, there are many members who are. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I am so sorry for your loss! (Hugs) I hope you are able to find some healing and comfort here. I'm also a July 2012 momma. Welcome to the board.
    @TMaggie0424 DD was born 7/9/12!  They are really close!! I'm not sure I ever saw you over there but I'm glad to see you now :) 
                BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am so sorry for your loss. I had an early miscarriage before conceiving my twin boys and recently lost another boy due to triploidy. I have another month left of BCPs and then we will be TTC again. I can empathize with how hard it is to feel like a good mom while grieving.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • I am so sorry for your loss. Your story reminds me a lot of my second loss. Please feel free to post here.

I actually did go back to TTCAL after my second loss. I had trouble coming on this board sometimes since there are so many pregnant ladies. Having been on TTCAL before, I knew to compartmentalize. Talk of DS went here, my siggy was pared down to text and DSs ticker, and I was liberal with ticker warnings and such. There certainly is an added twist to having a loss with a child at home. It was à different hurt than my first loss...but a hurt just the same.

Ps. Colorado Springs is beautiful!

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Huge hugs and welcome! I hope you find support here, the women on this board are amazing!

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am sorry for your loss. I had a similar situation. I already had a LO when I came onto TTCAL. I was careful not to mention him too much. That board just got me thorough some really difficult times when I was TTCing and dealing with the ups and downs of the whole thing.
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • KJsbabeKJsbabe member
    edited February 2014
    Welcome. I'm so sorry for your loss and how nonchalant the u/s tech was. As if loosing your baby wasn't bad enough, I'm sorry they were so insensitive.

I was a July 12' mom, too, but DD was born a week early on 6/29. I became more of a lurker towards the end of my pg and stuck more to PgAL. We are TTC#2 currently, also. I hope you get your sticky rainbow soon!
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"