Babies on the Brain
Options

PCOS?

So, I've had darkened skin on my armpits and groin area for years and just always thought it was something else (sensitivity to razors, high friction, etc) until I just read that it's actually a symptom of insulin resistance. (WOW) Which can be a sign of diabetes (which I have absolutely no symptom for, or anyone in my family with it). It can also be linked to PCOS. Up until I was on bc I never EVER had a regular period. At some points I'd go months without. I also had more then average acne growing up. When we decided to get preg I got preg right away and had a healthy kiddo with no problems. When we decided to have another I got pregnant right away but had a miscarriage. This was this past fall. Since then we haven't been able to get pregnant, even though I bought ovulation test strips and we DTD every day that week I was supposed to be ovulating! Here's the weird thing, I can often feel myself ovulate, but I don't feel it every month. I guess my question is... what now? Do I go to the ob to see if I have PCOS? Do I got to my regular physician and see if I have diabetes? Do I just keep DTD and get preg on my own? all of the above? Anyone else deal wiht this?
BabyFruit Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PCOS?

• Options
    Don't self diagnose. Yeah, these are possible PCOS symptoms but also symptoms of all sorts of other things. It is not normal though and you should be seeing a doctor. The ovulation pain could very well be pain from cysts and you are not ovulating at all. Have you tried charting and taking your temperature? This is the only way to know that you are ovulating. To answer your question, yes.. millions of women have dealt with PCOS and other fertility issues. 
    Just so you know - you do not have an actual period when you are on the pill. It is a withdrawal bleed and everyone would be "regular" on the pill. So the pill did not make you regular, it kept you from ovulating and you bled when you took the non-active pills. I hope that makes sense. I just want you to know that the pill didn't fix you when you were on it, if that makes sense.

• Options
    I would suggest charting temps for now.  If after a year of TTC you are not pregnant or if charting shows you aren't ovulating, then schedule an appt. with your doctor. 

TTC since 2010

lots of IUIs and 1 IVF all BFNs

FET currently on hold

photo guiness-1.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would make an appointment and go to the doctor. They will run a series of tests to look for PCOS. It is a syndrome so everyone's symptoms can appear differently. I was diagnosed 9 years ago with PCOS. The symptoms I have differ from the symptoms my friend has who also has PCOS. Only a dr can diagnose it for sure. 
  • Options
    The skin darkening you are referring to is acanthosis nigricans. It has a velvety look. It is a very easy diagnosis for a doctor. I would also advise going to your regular doctor in addition to your obgyn before self-diagnosing. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"