Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Baby laundry detergent? Is it necessary?

KingsGirl4KingsGirl4 member
edited February 2014 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
I just had my baby shower and everyone keeps telling me I need to wash all the new baby clothes I received (duh) with Dreft. I checked the price at the store the other day and was surprised to see how expensive it was. My husband and I are on a tight budget and every little extra expense counts. Is it really necessary to buy a special "baby" laundry detergent or is it okay to use the regular stuff I already have?

Re: Baby laundry detergent? Is it necessary?

• Options
    Baby detergent is absolutely unnecessary, and the fragrances/dyes in them can actually be irritating to sensitive baby skin. Stick with what you use on the rest of your laundry or switch to a free & clear if you want.
  • Options
    We just continued to use what we always did (Tide), and had no issues. I would just use your regular, if baby gets a rash, you will know to try a different detergent. I also think Dreft is not necessary, at least to start...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP. Draft is a big marketing ploy. I guess it used to be something you needed and the formula was pretty ok for sensitive skin however the formula changed and now it's really pretty bad for those with sensitive skin.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    Nope, we currently and always have used a free and clear detergent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Free and clear detergents are better because it doesn't have perfumes and dyes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    agree with the others, a free & clear is better than Dreft (cheaper too)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Echo PP. Also just wanted to add that Oxiclean Baby or Oxiclean Versatile is essential for getting stains out of the baby clothes - and trust me you will need it. :) Both the baby and versatile versions are free of dyes etc.

• Options
    Not necessary. However, if your baby (like our DD) ends up having eczema or it irritates their skin, you can use any free and clear detergent and that may be better than a perfumed kind. We use all free & clear but have one bottle of tide for when things are really gross (DD is sick, diaper explodes, etc)
  • Options
    Free and clear is a good choice. We use Seventh Generation which doesn't have the harsh chemicals that even some Free and Clears have.

Dreft has way too much fragrance. I don't know how people can stand that!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    no. we use Charlie's Soap as our normal detergent. Made no switches.
  • Options
    hollygb22 said:
    no. we use Charlie's Soap as our normal detergent. Made no switches.
    us too!  DH has super sensitive skin and everything else out there (even perfume/dye free) made his skin break out.  We seriously went through 12 different brands before I finally ordered Charlies and we've never had a problem since.

One other thing I like so much about Charlie's is that it's a powder detergent.  We have front load W/D and liquid detergent can contribute to mold/mildew buildup in my experience.

I'll never use anything else.
    TTC since February 2014

• Options
    Not necessary.  When I had baby clothes to wash, I bought a bottle of All Sensitive.  (At least I think that's what it's called.  It is a white bottle with a purple cap.)  It is dye free, but still has a light scent.  It's super cheap compared to Dreft.  I would, however, recommend buying a bottle of Dreft spray to pre-treat spots on clothes (and carpet.... and furniture....).
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone! You have been very helpful!
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member

Free and clear detergents are better because it doesn't have perfumes and dyes.

This!
  • Options
    We use a free & clear detergent and continued to do the same for DD.  No issues.  
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"