TTC after 35
Options

Stopping Clomid, starting letrozole and IUI, but need a break.

AF came yesterday after my 2nd round of clomid and HCG trigger shots (for a total of 4 rounds, I did 2 rounds in 2012, stupidly with my OB who did not monitor me). I called my RE's office and left a message with her nurse that I wanted to switch to letrozole because I do not like the abdominal weight gain and bloat I've noticed since taking Clomid the last 2 times and also the possibility of Clomid thinning my lining (It's been nice and thick with the last 2 ultrasounds, so no effects yet). The nurse called me back later in the day and said my RE would switch me to letrozole but would recommend starting IUI with it also. Which I am fine with, I actually was thinking of just jumping into IUI instead of continuing with TI. 

I feel like my body needs a break and I need to get myself healthy again and drop the 15 pounds I have gained since my wedding in September. I also feel like since September our focus has just been on trying to have a baby, instead of enjoying being newlyweds. I think mentally I'm exhausted too, thinking of getting pregnant is always on my mind! Anyone else feel like this at some point and took a break from everything? I think our plan will be to stop all treatments for 3 months and start IUI in June. My insurance will not cover IUI, so 3 months will give us plenty of time to save money for it. I have to call the financial officer tomorrow to ask about the cost, but for those of you who have gone through IUI how much did you have to pay out of pocket if your insurance doesn't pay for it? 

Me: 37 DH: 37, married since Sept. 2013. "actively" TTC for a total of 13 months (after 7 months of TTC, took a 1 1/2 year hiatus due to work scheduling and wedding planning. Started up again after our wedding in Sept.) First evaluation by an RE November 2013

HSG-normal
OH-tiny polyp found, but RE assured me she doesn't think it's contributing to infertility and doesn't recommend me to remove it because it's so small.
DH's SA-normal
Hormones all within normal levels
Ovarian Reserve-RE says "is great" she's not concerned about my egg quantity (which I was until I saw her and results came back good!) 

04/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
06/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
11/2013 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger=BFN (prescribed by RE, monitored with US (2 dominant follicles) and baseline bloodwork done)
01/2014 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger-(prescribed by RE, monitored with US-1 dominant follicle)=BFN
06/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger (prescribed by RE, monitored with US-2 dominant follicles), IUI #1 on 7/3/14=BFN
07/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, benched for IUI#2 this cycle, because I ovulated on my own before my follicular US. Progesterone suppositories=BFN Diagnosed with PCOS this month too. Testosterone levels high at 76. =( 
08/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger with 19mm follicle. IUI#2 on 8/31 cancelled last minute due to family emergency. 
09/2014 Taking a 3 month break starting this month. If not pregnant in 3 months, will start up again with medicated cycles and IUIs. Had all my labs and AFC re-evaluated this month also. RE says nothing much has changed since my eval last November, okay for me to take a little break. =) 

Re: Stopping Clomid, starting letrozole and IUI, but need a break.

• Options
    We paid out of pocket for our IUI, but I can't recall how much it all was, maybe around $500. 

I have to say, I took a break after only one IUI cycle (with letrozole and hCG trigger), and I don't regret it. I immediately felt a huge weight off my shoulders, and I just so happened to get pregnant on top of it - spontaneously. 

My rule has always been to listen to my body, and that has never ever led me wrong. xo 

Sarah, 38 | Nathan, 40 | Maxine b. 11/2014 | TTC #2

• Options
    --------warning BFP mention---------
    We did 3 IUI's and all (including meds) were out of pocket. I think cost depends a bit on how much you are monitored, but similarly to you- I did letrozol ($3) with overdril trigger shot ($140, but can probably get cheaper), ultrasound on CD 12 + sperm processing + IUI =$695, so all up around $840 per cycle. Oh and as for taking a break- I had been on 4 continuous medicated cycles (2 IUI's with TI+ meds inbetween), but after so burned out trying and getting depressed took a month off everything and took a vacation then did 3rd IUI, but had worst follicle response- only one mature and DH's sperm count was lower than usual (around 8 mill I think), and that was our BFP! - I really think the break helped
    -----sig and ticker warning----------
    me: 37 unexplained infertility, DH 37 normal
    ttc for 18 months before seeing RE
    Letrozol on CD 3-7, overdril trigger

IUI#1, 2 follicles 17.4 and 20mm                BFN
    Letrozol and TI cycle                                  BFN
    IUI#2 2 follicles (RE noted fluid in uterus, and then realized it was there last time too)  BFN
    Letrozol and TI                                            BFN
    IUI#3 one follicle 21mm (fluid there again) BFP!!!
    02/10 beta#1 335 (at 4weeks1day), 02/12 Beta#2 751 :-)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My  IUI's were expensive due to the Meds ( I needed more to stimulate)

Outside of the Meds totally OOP ( somewhere between 1500-2000)
    Monitoring appointments cost me about 180 each ( 3-5x per cycle)
    The actual IUI including sperm wash( 500)
    Blood work 120 each (3-5x per cycle)

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Fortunately mine were covered but I saw the the costs and it would cost between 4-600, not sure if that included meds or not, I don't remeber. there is also the OOP Meds coordinator that might be able to help.

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Options
    Thank you ladies for the info. I spoke with the finance officer and she told me the total cost for everything would be $700. My insurance was covering the ultrasounds and medications for timed intercourse, but won't cover anything related to IUI. I asked the finance officer are the ultrasounds and medications coded differently when they are related to IUI and she said yes. Ugh, I don't know why my insurance can't cover the ultrasounds and medications like they were before, if I am paying OOP for the actual IUI. It doesn't make any sense to me.  

Me: 37 DH: 37, married since Sept. 2013. "actively" TTC for a total of 13 months (after 7 months of TTC, took a 1 1/2 year hiatus due to work scheduling and wedding planning. Started up again after our wedding in Sept.) First evaluation by an RE November 2013

HSG-normal
    OH-tiny polyp found, but RE assured me she doesn't think it's contributing to infertility and doesn't recommend me to remove it because it's so small.
    DH's SA-normal
    Hormones all within normal levels
    Ovarian Reserve-RE says "is great" she's not concerned about my egg quantity (which I was until I saw her and results came back good!) 

04/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
    06/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
    11/2013 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger=BFN (prescribed by RE, monitored with US (2 dominant follicles) and baseline bloodwork done)
    01/2014 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger-(prescribed by RE, monitored with US-1 dominant follicle)=BFN
    06/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger (prescribed by RE, monitored with US-2 dominant follicles), IUI #1 on 7/3/14=BFN
    07/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, benched for IUI#2 this cycle, because I ovulated on my own before my follicular US. Progesterone suppositories=BFN Diagnosed with PCOS this month too. Testosterone levels high at 76. =( 
    08/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger with 19mm follicle. IUI#2 on 8/31 cancelled last minute due to family emergency. 
    09/2014 Taking a 3 month break starting this month. If not pregnant in 3 months, will start up again with medicated cycles and IUIs. Had all my labs and AFC re-evaluated this month also. RE says nothing much has changed since my eval last November, okay for me to take a little break. =) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"