Preemies
Options

Cervical Length Question - update

magpiemamamagpiemama member
edited February 2014 in Preemies
Hi ladies, I certainly do not belong to this board but I am guessing some of you have dealt with incompetent cervix so I decided to cross post here (also posted in high-risk) in hopes of getting some numbers. 

I am going for an ultrasound tomorrow to assess cervical length (internal will be done). At 12 weeks my cervical length was 2.8cm. My doctor did not seem concerned, however I pushed for an ultrasound because of early shortening with my first pregnancy (0.7cm @ 33weeks) and my mother having a history of late 2nd trimester loss b/c of incompetent cervix (I know technically there is no medical evidence to suggest a hereditary risk but it still freaks me out!). 

What was your cervical length at what week of your pregnancy that determined you were "high risk" or had a preterm delivery? 

UPDATE: Thank you for all the responses ladies! Cervix measured 3.0cm at 18 weeks today. Looks like this may be my "normal" cervical length. I am happy and reassured everything will be okay. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cervical Length Question - update

• Options
    unfortunately I know more than I ever wanted to know about cervical incompetence.  2.8cm at 12 weeks is definitely short but it could be that you have a naturally short cervix. Do you know your pre-pregnancy length?  MFMs and OB have wildly different views on cervical incompetence but many will tell you that if you have a history of premature shortening of the cervix without reason (PTL, infection, PPROM,etc) than you are at risk for having it happen again and often at an earlier gestation. Do you know when you started shortening with your first pregnancy?   Generally I dont think .7 at 33 weeks is necessarily of crazy huge concern, but anything below 3cm in the 2nd trimester is a red flag.

I had a length of 3.0 at 18 weeks, 2.4 at 20.5 weeks, and .4 at 21.5 weeks.  I was then put on hospital bedrest until 25 weeks when I delivered.  So for me it was the drastic shortening of the cervix in a very short amount of time that was hugely alarming.   The riskiest weeks are 18-22 weeks for cervical incompetence, so you might ask for weekly scans for the next few weeks.

thinking lots and lots of good thoughts for a long cervix and a long pregnancy :)  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    My cervix was fine up until 22weeks, 3 days. It was 2.5. MFM wanted me back to check in a week and it was 1.1 at 23 weeks, 3 days. Put on hospital bed rest until 28 weeks and then home bed rest until I delivered at 31 weeks, 3 days ( I had twins so the drs think thus is why it shortened as I had a DS prior to this full term. ). Hope thus helps... Lots of luck, prayers, and good thoughts... I also had p17 shots weekly...
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
    Twins DS#2 and 3 born at 31 weeks, 3 days due to a short cervix on 8/2/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went in at 27w5days and was at zero station...delivered that day (after being told I was on bed rest for 6 weeks). Dr. Said next time I will get ciecolodge (so) at 13 weeks and then a steroid shot every week starting at 20 weeks. After my dr talked to my mom and sister who also had super quick l&d (just not premature like me) she thinks it could be hereditary. It's such a terrible term "incompetent cervix".. My sister and I refer to if as an "overly efficient cervix"
  • Options
    glad things were stable!  I hope they will still be following you closely and doing regular cervical checks, but that is AWESOME news that you got today!!
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"